Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Viper Alarm remote case replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Viper Alarm remote case replacement

My new to me 99 ext cab Tacoma has a Viper alarm on it, two button variety, nothing fancy, but the key ring attachment point on the top of the remote case (plastic loop) is busted on both remote cases. I looked on Ebay and found some replacement cases. You think my local place that sells Viper would have any replacment cases and save me some shipping.

I need to find a manual as to how this thing works as I'd like it to beep when I arm/disarm so I know it's done something when I click the button. It's got a remote start feature too.

Alright, back to the Orange Bowl as halftime is almost over.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
It had a snake in the cab for an alarm? How the heck does it start the truck?!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
My new to me 99 ext cab Tacoma has a Viper alarm on it, two button variety, nothing fancy, but the key ring attachment point on the top of the remote case (plastic loop) is busted on both remote cases. I looked on Ebay and found some replacement cases. You think my local place that sells Viper would have any replacment cases and save me some shipping.

I need to find a manual as to how this thing works as I'd like it to beep when I arm/disarm so I know it's done something when I click the button. It's got a remote start feature too.

Alright, back to the Orange Bowl as halftime is almost over.

depending on how old the unit is, your local shop may not have a case anymore. i havent seen a viper case in probably 5 years at my place.

you should be able to find a manual on viper ( dei electronics ) website. the model of the alarm should be on the top of the brain.

you said it doesnt make any noise when you lock and unlock, is the led a solid light or blinking? if its solid its in valet mode, which typically wont allow the remote start to work, as well as mutes the sound. basically shuts everything down except for door lock functions. if the light is solid red, you can try one of two methods:
1) find the "valet" button, it should be a small black push button. turn the key to the ON position and hold the button in until the light turns off.
2) if you cant find the valet button or that doesnt work, open the door, press button 1, press button 2, press button 1. it should pop out of valet.

lastly, once the alarm is out of valet, if that is the case. try holding buttons 1 and 2 down at the same time for a few seconds. the parking lights should flash and truck should start if all is well.

good luck, hope some of this helps

Jason
Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
pics of the remote ? might be able to figure out what model it is
Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drpdmazda
depending on how old the unit is, your local shop may not have a case anymore. i havent seen a viper case in probably 5 years at my place.

you should be able to find a manual on viper ( dei electronics ) website. the model of the alarm should be on the top of the brain.

you said it doesnt make any noise when you lock and unlock, is the led a solid light or blinking? if its solid its in valet mode, which typically wont allow the remote start to work, as well as mutes the sound. basically shuts everything down except for door lock functions. if the light is solid red, you can try one of two methods:
1) find the "valet" button, it should be a small black push button. turn the key to the ON position and hold the button in until the light turns off.
2) if you cant find the valet button or that doesnt work, open the door, press button 1, press button 2, press button 1. it should pop out of valet.

lastly, once the alarm is out of valet, if that is the case. try holding buttons 1 and 2 down at the same time for a few seconds. the parking lights should flash and truck should start if all is well.

good luck, hope some of this helps

Jason
^^This, when I purchased my 4Runner the stealership had no idea that it had an alarm with remote start. I got the model # of the brain under the dash and with that I figured out everything else I needed by going on DEI's website. I ordered new remotes and programmed them myself...now I have a full functioned alarm with remote start for "free"
Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
How about just cutting the stupid alarm out of there? I did that to my 4Runner and never looked back. Stock wiring is so much cleaner anyways.

I had nothing but problems with the alarm/remote start on my truck, and it cost me a lot trying to buy new remotes. They would work a short while and break again. Completely pointless.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby"

Mine have been working fine for over a year now
Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
How about just cutting the stupid alarm out of there? I did that to my 4Runner and never looked back. Stock wiring is so much cleaner anyways.

I had nothing but problems with the alarm/remote start on my truck, and it cost me a lot trying to buy new remotes. They would work a short while and break again. Completely pointless.
sounds like s bad install to me. if installed properly you should have no problems with an aftermarket alarm/remote start. i have one on all 3 of my vehicles and have not had any issues with any of them. you have to be careful when you just go "cutting them out" cut the wrong wires, or dont reconnect certain ones and you can open up one big can of worms.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Take it to your local best buy. They can modify the settings of the alarm and sell you a new remote.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Guts of remote were good. Works flawlessly. Found 2 new cases on EBay for under $20 shipped.
Even has remote start for those cold days.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.