Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Alarm system driving my crazy

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm system driving my crazy

I don't know whats up with my alarm system but I don't understand it. I don't know if it's factory or not and the previous owner doesn't know much about it. I've seen others around here who describe similar features so surely someone knows how to operate this stupid thing. Since I've owned it I've been using it the same way, just locking and unlocking. If I opened the door with just a key, it would go off until I hit a button on the remote (the remote is built into the key...unlock, lock, and a random green button of unknown function). When dis/reconnecting the battery, the alarm (horn) will honk and the vehicle will be disabled til I hit a button on the remote. Sounds pretty normal (though annoying), but then there's this little red button/light on the left of my steering wheel next to the dashboard dimmer knob. I don't know what this stupid thing does...I was sitting in my friends driveway with the truck off once and I kept pressing it in and out and the horn started going off and wouldn't stop until I pressed a remote button. I was checking out some spare keys wondering what would happen if I had to use a spare to get in with no remote and so I unlocked it with one and opened the door and the alarm went off. I pressed the button and it lit up red and the alarm stopped. This has all (since May) been with the button OUT and it did not light up. I decided I'd try to see how it does with the button in so I pushed it in, set the alarm, and unlocked the door myself and opened it and nothing happened. I tried it out again and nothing happened this time either. Both times the button stays lit red indefinitely. Now the alarm seems to not be functioning and m y remote only serves to lock and unlock. Does anyone have any clue how this crazy system works?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
until you identify what kind of alarm system you have, you will not get any useful help/feedback. the brain unit will most likely be under the seat or behind the lower driver's side panel

bob
Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Does your remote have a Toyota logo on it? The stock remotes have two equal sized buttons, a red light, and the logo. They are also black.

Sounds like you have the stock "alarm". Its more of a keyless entry than anything.

If this is indeed your system, you can learn a little about how it all works on Bob's website http://www.4runners.org