General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

When buying a used rig - problems to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Sin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When buying a used rig - problems to look for?

Over than the obvious "milky oil" and "gold schlager coolant" what are some of the other things to look for when choosing a used rig? My yotas got soooo many dang problems, I'm thinking of making it a parts truck and getting a high dollar (3k to 5k) daily...
Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
RUST!!!!! Apart from that, Just look to see if it's been taken care of in general. A little maintenance goes a loooooong way with these trucks, but if abused AND neglected, they'll die like anything else eventually. Mine, for example. I thought i was getting a great deal, it had some issues, but super low price. I swear, i've had so many issues with it due to neglect that i would have been better off just buying one in better condition for twice the cost. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Sin

Originally Posted by Inferno451
RUST!!!!! Apart from that, Just look to see if it's been taken care of in general. A little maintenance goes a loooooong way with these trucks, but if abused AND neglected, they'll die like anything else eventually. Mine, for example. I thought i was getting a great deal, it had some issues, but super low price. I swear, i've had so many issues with it due to neglect that i would have been better off just buying one in better condition for twice the cost. Good luck!
Yeah exactly, soon as a fix one problem something else goes wrong! The only time I've drove it was HOME, been sitting and working on it since!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Hugely open ended question.

Condition. Maintenance. Openness and willingness of seller.
Pictures. Pictures. Pictures. I'm not driving 2 hours or more than 10 minutes to see something the seller won't send me all the pictures I want.

Case in point.

I bought two 2nd gen 4Runners last week. I had been in discussion with a guy that had two I liked but he was lazy in sending pics, evasive on answering questions and way overpriced. After I bought my two he finally emailed me and wanted to sell. Told him I was no longer interested. He sent me tons more pics and called 4 times but I had already bought others. No reason someone who truly wants to sell wont bend over backwards to help you.

If my gut tells me no for whatever reason I walk away.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Yes if the p.o. doesnt want to send pics or answer questions, he's probably got something to hide.
Luckily when i was buying my 4runner, i talked to the guy for a few weeks prior, he was really cool and after talking to me, he took it off CL. He even trailored it to me!

For me the quality of the person selling it has a lot to do with my interest level!

Last edited by Mdumaw; 06-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:10 PM

I bought my rig from a guy who strictly spoke spanish, he had a interpreter, I brought my own. We talked for a hour, I ended up buying it, as my interpreter is a mechanic as well. He said it was good to go in his eyes no obious problems minus it needed a power steering hose. Long story short, I drove it 4 months, and BAM. Stuck with a 2200 dollar bill of simple 45$ thermostat and radiator flush (minus parts i used toyota fluid/tstat) that's turned into a 2200 motor rebuild, and new radiator, waterpump, timing belt, pulleys, drive belts, and everything under the sun is getting redone. But it was a hell of a 3 months haha. Oh well.. once my motors done this upcoming week, ill be in the clear with a 2 year waranty on the motor. And paperwork to show the next owner.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Sin

william - I feel for you there, kinda the same situation as me! I've done a p/s rebuild, fixed p/s hoses, radiator, thermostat, belts, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, radiator hoses, pcv, steering column work, ignition, working lights now, aisin hubs and NOW the water pump is leaking! I figure if I do a timing belt/water pump - WHAT ELSE IS GONNA GO WRONG afterwards?

mdumaw / wabbit - I agree with you there, if it doesn't feel right or there's a lack of info and receipts, it probably isn't a good rig.

I'm looking at 3 rigs right now, I'm thinking the runner would be best, due to the receipts - but the mileage scares me! what to do...what to do ...
4Runner 96 3.4L (large folder of receipts with work done to it over the years, meticulously maintained. timing belt, water pump, all the ignition packs and wires, larger 3 core radiator, tuneup, trans flush and filter, all fluids) 241K
Hilux 89 3.0L (solid axle, lockers, gears, dual cases) ad says: can use it for a driver but not real practical)
Hilux 94 22RE (rebuilt cylinder head; changed water pump, battery, fan clutch, timing chain & gears, brakes) 270K
Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

You have been working on yours so you should have some idea what to look for.

I can give you a big thick folder of receipts it really does not mean a thing.

Pictures I was gonna say all the Toyota vehicles I bought I never saw pictures but I think that is no longer true.

Then different people look at different things I have a rule of no more then 3 different colors on one side of the vehicle.

I also expect it to have tires with at least some of the cords showing if not I worry.

Another thing I don`t care for is gas leaks one of the trucks I bought caught fire driving home. It surprises me how so many people get excited over a little fire.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly, the first thing I look at is the owner long before I consider the truck. I'm a hillbilly, and I can spot a tweeker from a mile away. If the dude looks like he's gone without sleep for at least three days, don't even look at the truck. Nothing good ever happens to a yota in the hands of someone spun.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you all, but when you deal in 20
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
plus year old cars/trucks, expect something! My opinion only.