General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Vibrations above 60mph, Thanks AllPro

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vibrations above 60mph, Thanks AllPro

So I have had the Allpro parking brake driveshaft for a few years now. Never got it to work right. It was either loose enough to not rub when driving or tight enough to hold on a slight slope....but never both.

After rubiing on the pads, the disc heats up and further warps. After 2 sets of pads and 2 Discs (80.00 each time), I have taken it off.

Now that it is off, the vibrations I experienced went away, but not all of them.

When I am approaching 60-65, my driveline vibrates strongly and seems to greatly impede any chance of acceleration. If I let off the gas and coast, the vibration can get worse.

What do you think this vibrating disc messed up?

Pinion angle looks good, I have locker and 4.88s with 33's. Motor runs super smooth and the clutch seems to grab strong from a take off.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Did it get hot enough to warp the mating surfaces of t-case flange and d-shaft flange? check run out.
flange bolts tight?
Ujoints good?
Rear output t-case bearing?
Play in slip yoke?
Just tossing some things out to eliminate.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I've "heard" that if you don't put the driveshaft back in the same place on the output flange that it was before you took it off, that could cause a vibration. I've ran my AP trans disc kit for over four years and haven't had issues. I do remember that I had to put washers inbetween the bracketry to put space between the aft pad and the disc though.

Also, I think I have a wieght on my driveshaft(which is factory for balance). Have you looked over yours for any kind of dents or maybe the wieght has been knocked off?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 AM

I just had the driveshaft balanced 1-2 years ago and hjave since put about 2,000 miles on the truck. Shaft is still shiny and clean, no dents and has the weight on it. But I think that allpro disc warped from rubbing slightly on the pads at freeway speeds.

It coudl be the tcase bearing too. Although everything feels tight when I try to shake or rotate the driveshaft flange.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deathrunner
everything feels tight when I try to shake or rotate the driveshaft

LoL man its early for me i had to lol

anyhoo, I don't have allpro's tcase brake I have skys but I imagine they're probably identical no? maybe not. It's been awhile (like almost 2 yrs) since I was mess'n with it but havent had any "rubbing' issues with the pads touching the disc and never heard of anyone else having issues with either sky's or allpro's

Does allpro's have the extra holes on the lever arm to change the placement of the cable? I had to play with them all till I got a good balance between being to lose or to tight and finally found the right hole that worked.

Also the vibrations may not be your driveshaft, have you checked the axle shafts for play? how about that locker?

Could be a wheel possibly thats lost some weights?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh and i really doubt it's a Tcase output bearing, not gonna say for sure it's not just saying its unlikey... which is a stretch for me to say cuz usually I have the problem no one thinks is plausible. I've just never heard of, read of, encountered anyone with an output bearing being worn out, besides I think you'd be able to feel play in the output shaft IF that were the case, no?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 AM

Yeah, all the guys at ALlpro kept telling me that thier's worked fine too. But, mine sure as hell didn't. After fumbling with it for 2 years and replacing expensive pads and discs, I never found that special balance point. 2 reputable mechanics in the area failed as well. I'm back to stock components and all I can think is...why did I switch?

I thought I switched because I had too much travel in the back for the stock stuff, but the guy who put the stock stuff back says that he has set up desert trucks with 24" of travel still using the stock stuff.

I'm going to get it to the driveline shop this week. Under 40, it feels fine.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Best bet on the pinion angle is to measure it, not just look at it and say it is good. A quick check with a tape measure will tell you if it is properly set up or not:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml#FAQ1

But that said a buddy of mine had that e-brake and could not get rid of the vibes on his Xcab pickup and went back to stock. I run the stock e-brake with some minor mods and it works fine and I have a fair amount of lift and rear suspension travel. Tips are to relocate the rear e-brake cable lower on the frame, raise the pivot point off the axle and then run e-brake lever extensions to raise the cable up to match:

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

More like FAILpro.. Haha
Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Good call Roger, I believe that is essentially how my stock stuff was reinstalled. The brackets on the axle are longer now to get over my 10 leaf pack.

I'll have to check the pinion angle again, It was good before, but maybe the springs sagged or something?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would think if it was the output bearing then it would always shake regardles off speed..