YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Which transmission fluid should i get?

Im putting a new Tranny in my 1994 toyota 4x4 pickup.
Its a 5 speed manual W56 transmission.

Im looking for the best synthetic transmission fluid for my tranny to help it last longer, shift better, etc etc.

Who's had experience with what? And what would you recommend?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
94 Toyota pickup, 4WD, Single cab, New 22RE, 4" SkyJacker Suspension lift, 4:10 gears, 35x12.50R15 Summit Mud Dawgs. --SOLD-- :(

87 Toyota pickup, 4WD, Single cab, 22R, 3" Body lift, 4:10 gears, 34x9.50R15 Super Swamper TSL's. --SOLD--

1997 Toyota 4runner, 2WD, 3.4 V6, 285x75R16 Michilen soccer mom tires.

Welcome to Yotatech, The place where the men are men and the woman might be to!
Bojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

I haven't had experience with any but the Valvoline full synthetic 75W-90 GL-5. Which seemed to work alright. I switched to non-synth 85W-90 GL-4 to see if it would improve shift quality. It seemed to, but not drastically. I may have even been imagining it. That's the rumor anyway, supposedly GL-4 is good for smoother shifting. I'm just not sure I buy that one anymore, and GL-5 wasn't much worse(if at all). And at the cost of being less effective at preventing wear, I don't think it's quite the bargain I used to.

So, the next time I change it I'm going back to full synthetic. I plan on using the Richmond Gear full synthetic GL-6 high performance manual transmission fluid. I'm not fooling around anymore, having had to replace my transmission once already. I filled the junkyard replacement tranny with the GL-4 stuff because I had some left in the gallon jug, and another gallon of it was all I could afford at the time(I don't like mixing oils, and it was still cheaper than full synthetic, but by no means cheap). I'm just getting my money's worth out of it for a few more months, then it's outta there!

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.richmondgear.com/0002pdfs/OILSANDLUBE.pdf
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-01-2011 at 01:37 PM.
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHippy View Post
I haven't had experience with any but the Vlavoline full synthetic 75W-90 GL-5. Which seemed to work alright. I switched to non-synth 85W-90 GL-4 to see if it would improve shift quality. It seemed to, but not drastically. I may have even been imagining it.

So, the next time I change it I'm going back to full synthetic. I plan on using the Richmond Gear full synthetic GL-6 high performance manual transmission fluid. I'm not fooling around anymore, having had to replace my transmission once already.

Click the image to open in full size.
http://www.richmondgear.com/0002pdfs/OILSANDLUBE.pdf

I hear ya!
How many quarts does a w56 tranny hold?
94 Toyota pickup, 4WD, Single cab, New 22RE, 4" SkyJacker Suspension lift, 4:10 gears, 35x12.50R15 Summit Mud Dawgs. --SOLD-- :(

87 Toyota pickup, 4WD, Single cab, 22R, 3" Body lift, 4:10 gears, 34x9.50R15 Super Swamper TSL's. --SOLD--

Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W90 oil is what I used to use in my Elantra when I was Autocrossing. Made a huge improvement even with only 10,000 miles on the trans.

When I get around to it, that's what my diffs, transfer etc etc is gonna be getting.

It's a little pricey for some people though.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

87 P/U 4X 5sp Weber Downey Hdr 2.25 Exh EB 268

xxxtreme22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #5

I've run Royal Purple synthetic (GL4 I believe) in two rigs. One 1986 22re, 5 speed 4x4 SR5 pickup, and my current 89 4runner 22re, 5 speed 4x4 SR5. Both seemed to like the fluids. The 86 had 160,000 when I sold it, the 89 has 235,000 right now. No issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
First gens with the top off will get you laid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_goat View Post
That's like replacing the dilithium crystals in your warp drive and forgetting to take them out of the foil wrapper.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #6

Sooo Royal purple sounds like the best thing i can look for?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #7

Personally I wouldn't use anything else, but I have not use any other stuff so I am a little biased. If I had the money to do all of them and if my rear pinion seal wasn't leaking, I'd already have that stuff in. Who knows what's in mine now I have my oil change place buddies top me off every now and then lol.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
How many quarts does a w56 tranny hold?
The 85 FSM says 3.2 quarts.

I wouldn't say Royal Purple is no good. From what I've heard it's worth the price. The only reason I'm going with the Richmond Gear fluid is because it meets GL-6 specifications, whereas the RP is only GL-5 and less effective at preventing wear because of that fact.
We're sorry, theYOTATECH member you have reached is temporarily out of order or is no longer in service. Please feel free to ask our many other highly informed members about your problem. Or try using the search feature to find the appropriate information by yourself, and solve the issue on your own. Thank you for choosingYOTATECH. Good bye.

I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!
MudHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

Redline MT-90. Today for example, we had temps of -16 with a wind chill of -38. I just switched to Redline MT-90 full synethic. The tranny was stiff, but it still shifted good in that cold of weather.

MT-90 is suppose to not be so corrosive in the tranny. So far I am sold on the stuff.

She doesn't look like much...but she puts out!
snobdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r View Post
Personally I wouldn't use anything else, but I have not use any other stuff so I am a little biased. If I had the money to do all of them and if my rear pinion seal wasn't leaking, I'd already have that stuff in. Who knows what's in mine now I have my oil change place buddies top me off every now and then lol.

Haha im gonna have to start doing that.
My rear end was rebuilt with new pinion bearing, bearings and gears last year and for some reason i have an extremely slow drip now.
But im thinking about rolling with the royal purple 75w90 or the valvolene 75w90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHippy View Post
The 85 FSM says 3.2 quarts.

I wouldn't say Royal Purple is no good. From what I've heard it's worth the price. The only reason I'm going with the Richmond Gear fluid is because it meets GL-6 specifications, whereas the RP is only GL-5 and less effective at preventing wear because of that fact.
So i should probably order 4 quarts
Ill have to check it out and look into it. Nothing is written in stone yet Thanks fellas.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobdds View Post
Redline MT-90. Today for example, we had temps of -16 with a wind chill of -38. I just switched to Redline MT-90 full synethic. The tranny was stiff, but it still shifted good in that cold of weather.

MT-90 is suppose to not be so corrosive in the tranny. So far I am sold on the stuff.

Sounds like some good stuff.

I dont think ive ever seen the temp under 12 degrees or so here in SC so i dont usually have that problem haha.
Ive heard some good stuff about Redline though.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
Sooo Royal purple sounds like the best thing i can look for?
I don't know if it is the best but all the research I did said it was. At 12$ a quart it was an expensive fluid change..... I like it and will never use anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
First gens with the top off will get you laid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_goat View Post
That's like replacing the dilithium crystals in your warp drive and forgetting to take them out of the foil wrapper.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #13

Bo don't switch over to that syn gear oil if your seals are leaking, they are probably gonna leak more with it, as the syn is gonna do what it was somewhat designed to do and flow better.

Build Thread
BMW Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

Redline MT90 gets my vote. I'm currently using it in my 1990 W56.

The benefits of MT 90 is that it is not corrosive to our brass synchros.

Last edited by pruney81; 02-04-2011 at 06:54 PM.
pruney81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #15
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

yeah you should definitely read some of the info on redline's website, its pretty convincing stuff. However I am currently running BG Synchroshift II 75W-80 GL-4 and I really love it. The stuff is a little hard to find but if you can get it I would go for it! If not I hear nothing but good things about MT-90 and Amazon has a good price on it.

I have brand new jerry can seals/gaskets for sale check it out here: http://www.yotatech.com/f109/brand-n...-seals-210512/
survivorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to BoostedRNR
I'm also voting Redline MT90. My tranny is pushing 300k miles and shifts awesome still!
BoostedRNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #17

I'm a little late to the party, but here's another vote for MT90. Royal Purple gets bashed pretty frequently over at bobistheoilguy.com for reasons that only a chemist or a micro biologist could understand...
'95 4runner, 4wd, Auto 3.0, 125k miles, Aisin manual locking hubs, TG bumpers and sliders, TrueTrac, Hayden tranny cooler, 2.25" exhaust w/ Magnaflow cat & Borla turbo muffler, OME 900s and shocks...Build thread. - SOLD
'93 pickup, DD, 2wd, 5spd 3.0, 155k miles, Borla turbo muffler, 3.5" lift spindles, ZUK mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupermanDave View Post
Proper punctuation is the difference between "I helped my uncle jack off a horse," and "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse."
rhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #18

prometheusaj
royal purple all the way i didnt wana do it cause of the cost so i did 2 royal purples to one valvoline syntheitc before it was just valvoline sythetic .

wow is all i can say been two days on it amazing shifts with ease espeialy when cold i used to have to work to get into first now its as easy as can be amazeing well worth the 20 bucks a bottle dont know if it would have been anybetter as full royal purple but my 2/3rds mix is amazeing enough in imporvment for me .
:wabbit:
going to do this mix from now on it is more than twice the price of a traditonal sythetic but hey it works realy well so why not .

(woulda tryed redline just cant find anyone who sells the stuff have heard good things on the TDI forums as well though about it )
andrewflores17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #19
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Red face

I just use a local Pa brand called Pitt Penn I use the 85/140 pretty much in every thing.

Gear oils are like other products pretty easy to repackage under a private label As long as the product meets the API guide lines
wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #20
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Royal Purple is the best IMO.

1997 4Runner Limited, 5VZ, TRD Supercharger, TRD Boost Gauge, B&M 70264, Gunmetal Tacoma 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels, K&N Intake, BFG A/T 285/75/16 more to come!

2002 Tacoma X-Cab TRD, 5VZ, 5 Speed, E-locker, Borla Exhaust, K&N Intake, Red/Clear Tail lights, Clear Corner Markers, E-locker Skid Plate, HID's, ARB Front Bumper, TRD Shift Knob, Pioneer Stereo/GPS, Alarm, Drilled Rotors, Bilstein 5100's, more to come!
Swimmerboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
82, capacity, changing, fluid, forums, manual, oil, pickup, quart, toyota, tranny, transmission, truck, w56, yotatech