General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Toyota Maintenace Search Engine, Online FSM Manuals and Hunter Balancers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyota Maintenace Search Engine, Online FSM Manuals, and Hunter Tire Balancer Locator

Hi YT members,

As of August 7, 2004, I've combined two threads into one.

Maintenance Search Engine
Here is an awesome automated Toyota maintenance search engine that will just about answer all the "when should i replace...." questions.

http://www.toyotaparts.com/smg/main.php

Genuine Toyota OEM Online Manuals
For a small 1 day fee of $10, you can download the genuine Toyota Field Service Manuals for 97 and up vehicles only. Yes, its possible to download your entire manual in a day. Read the feedback in the following threads. Special thanks to YT member Jake94 for finding this site.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/

Hunter Tire Balancer Locator (Nationwide)
One of the most common complaints we've heard from members who've purchased new tires is the inability of some shops to balance their new tires. The problem lies with shops that do not have the Hunter Tire Balancing machine with the Haweka adapter.

Thanks to member 4RunnerBuddha, here is a locator that will help you find a shop with this machine in your local area.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 09-27-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:07 AM

Guys,

Well folks, I goofed and tried to get fancy with merging threads. Anyways, here's a one page summary of feedback from members who've subscribed and used the FSM online service:

From "Jake94"

Date: 7/16/04
"The pic's are exactly the same as the ones in Toyota's parts data base. Need a part? Print out the pic, circle the part you need, hand it to your friendly neighborhood Toyota parts guy and say "I need this" I've got what I needed the 1st time every time."

"Oh yea...it's loaded with "Hints and Tips" After hearing all kinds of horror stories about changing starters on a 22re I was a little concerned when mine went out, with a few "Hints" I gleened from the FSM I was able to change it in 1/2 hour."

"Also you can access a section on SST's where you can find out just what kind of tool it is, turns out most of them aint so "special" and can rented. If they are truly "special" you can buy them on line from the site. One example is the SST needed to change the UCA bushings, turns out they are just a set of "dies" that you use in a press. IIRC I think they ran $28."

From "r0cky"

"I've been using techinfo.toyota.com for months now ... that's where I found all the new TSBs for the 4th gen. sulfur smell fixes and such ... I definitely recommend that site, as you can pay $10 for a 24 hour use of the site and download whatever you need from the owners manual, repair manual, etc. One of the best resources out there if you don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on the actual print tech manuals."

In response to a question about downloading the pages and using a dial-up connection:

Date: 7/31/04
"welll ... you have to go in there and right click on each and say "save as" on each of them ... so it's not a two second thing where you can download it in its entirety all at once. DSL would be better, because you wouldn't be using the phone line."
Old 08-18-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up These FSMs rock!

I spent most of last night downloading as much as I could from the on-line FSMs. What a great source of information! Thanks for the pointing it out!
Cheers,
P
Old 08-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Oh sweet I didn't know that available to the public, damn that is expensive though for membership. That TIS is an excellent online source, I have seen used only at the dealership, but boy it's awesome!!!

Last edited by Mohamed; 08-19-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:00 AM

Are there any international users that have been able to get signed up? The form requires a U.S. state/postal code.

I wouldnt mind getting the online manual stuff.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2004, 05:10 AM

Styled,

Look a post or two above. Pmichaud is from canada too. Ask him via PM or email.

Bob
Old 10-13-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
whoops my bad....discovered something minor I was missing...site is working

OK if your XP system has service pack 2 dont even try to d/l it. Wont work no matter WHAT you do.

I turned off my popup blocker, I allowed their site, and it doesnt work....

Fortunately I have a puter here that doesnt have SP2 on it....i soooo hate microsoft crap...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-13-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Maintenance Search Engine
Here is an awesome automated Toyota maintenance search engine that will just about answer all the "when should i replace...." questions.

http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/smg/main.php
The Maintenance Search Engine is useless for anyone who has anything older than a 97 4Runner.

Anyone know a good, reliable, cheap place to find an ORIGINAL, not photocopies in a binder, FSM for an 85 4Runner? I can get one from the dealer for around $80 but want to see if I can do better.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
"Also you can access a section on SST's where you can find out just what kind of tool it is, turns out most of them aint so "special" and can rented. If they are truly "special" you can buy them on line from the site. One example is the SST needed to change the UCA bushings, turns out they are just a set of "dies" that you use in a press. IIRC I think they ran $28."
here's another spot to get SST info at:

http://toyota.spx.com/
Old 12-02-2004, 12:22 PM

With regard to the Hunter Tire Balancers -

Does it matter whether the shop you go to has the "StraightTrak Lateral Force Measurement" feature? My truck's been pulling slightly to the left, and my mechanic tells me the tires are likely out of balance.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Is the FSM site basically the FSM in electronic form or is there more to it?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

that's what I want to know too, I don't want to dump in my 10 bucks and then have to take a day off of work so I can sit in front of the 'puter for 24 hours straight downloading one page at a time.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

Talking

IMO, spend the extra money to get a HARD COPY already bound of the FSM of your year 4Runner. I've already used the stuffing out of mine. Well worth the $$$ for the whole thing that you can use whenever...and it's all there. I found mine on Ebay for a great price.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

yea, but if it's the same stuff in electronic format, I can print it all out and laminate it free at work, so as to not get the pages greasy and easily cleanable too. so if it's the same and an easy download I'd rather do the elctronic.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by keisur
yea, but if it's the same stuff in electronic format, I can print it all out and laminate it free at work, so as to not get the pages greasy and easily cleanable too. so if it's the same and an easy download I'd rather do the elctronic.
I don't think you understand just how MANY pages the FSM contains....you would burn up a laminating machine...

When my wife saw my FSM when I took it out of the box she said "why did you buy a dictionary?"

About 3-4 inches thick...

Old 12-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

it ain't MY money. Plus the japanese secretary really likes to use that machine. and I;m a cheap SOB until I get a house up in this neck of the woods.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Banned

Talking

it ain't MY money. Plus the japanese secretary really likes to use that machine. and I;m a cheap SOB until I get a house up in this neck of the woods.
You'd better print it out double sided or it'll be 10 inches thick and double as a tire block.

Old 12-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You'd better print it out double sided or it'll be 10 inches thick and double as a tire block.

I;m used to that size, oh, the pages, right. more than likely I'll break down and buy the hardcopy, just need to get the wife up here first. when I have to do a head gasket, be assured I'll have one then!

Last edited by keisur; 12-03-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:58 AM
Contributing Member

I have the hard copy FSM for my 4Runner. I wanted to know if the TIS version had more info that the hard copy's. Sounds like it is the same thing. Maybe I'll download the FSM for my wife's Tacoma.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:19 AM

that's what I want to know too, I don't want to dump in my 10 bucks and then have to take a day off of work so I can sit in front of the 'puter for 24 hours straight downloading one page at a time.
I agree. Is there somewhere I can go and just pay the $10 for the entire d/l? I dont have time to sit in front of the comp and d/l one page at a time.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Toyota Maintenace Search Engine, Online FSM Manuals and Hunter Balancers