General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

taco v 4r

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taco v 4r

generally, is there any offroad performance difference between a 4runner and a similar year tacoma? what are the pros and cons of each? I'll go ahead and say 3rd gen 4runner and similar year taco. I ask this because I'm passively in the market for a 4wd vehicle (will only go 4runner or tacoma) to replace my 2wd 4runner, and not having much luck in the 4runner department for the right combination of price, mileage, year, and location, im considering looking into tacos as well. the obvious downside being the lack of weather-free transportation of people and cargo when needed.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

the doublecab tacos are pretty good for transporting people in that backseat, but then you'd have to deal with that short bed. Tacos have no traction control, VSM, etc. like the 4runners have and not having a computer adjusting your brakes and gas is very useful.

Just another shameless plug for tacos
Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Out of the (4) 4WD 4Runners and (1) 98 Tacoma Limited I have owned, the Tacoma was by far my favorite machine off-road. In fact, I often question why I sold the Taco to begin with. Then I remember the auto tranny and torture-chamber back "seats" of the x-cab...both preferential negatives of course, but enough to get me to sell it for a 5-speed with comfortable seating for four.

A 5-speed quad-cab Taco would be where it's at...if they existed in the generation I like that is.

Be sure to get the TRD package if you go Taco.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 03-22-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 PM

A friend of mine has a 3rd gen 4runner but likes wheeling in my 98 taco better because of how they both perform... I kinda like the ride of his 4runner better than my taco on the street though. just think about what you will be doing more. wheelin or driving around town?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own an 03 Taco XCab TRD V6 with the 5 speed trans, and I love it. I've been in some incredible wheeling situation in others' 4Runners though, and sometimes I really want one. The passenger capability is obviously a real bonus, but the coil spring suspension all around on the 4R is also a plus as far as I'm concerned. Plus, you'll find that 4Runners are generally more plush, quiet, and comfortable inside than Tacomas. All the Tacomas I've been in, even the Limiteds, are generally very utilitarian and have lacked simple amenities like leather wrapped steering wheels & shifter knobs, fake wood paneling on the dash, etc. These are not major issues, but at this point in my life I would appreciate the pluch qualities of a runner. That being said, I still feel the Tacoma is the superior offroading machine, because it is a genuine truck. It probably weighs less, the bed offers more configuration options for expedition 4wheeling or camping (i.e. topper, bedrug, bed-mounted toolbox, flatbed option, hauling a motorcycle or quad, hi-lift jack storage, helping your friends move...no wait, that's a negative...throwing beer cans in the back...lol) The extra storage capability is a plus in itself, off or on road
Old 03-23-2006, 05:16 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Taco has a longer wheelbase (about 8"). This is a big positive if you find yourself scaling a lot of tall ledges (like RockerKnocker or Pritchett Canyon in Moab), but can be a negative if you 'wheel on twisty trails in the woods. 4Runner seems to be a very good balance of both.

Less glass to worry about busting in a Taco.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:25 AM

I drove a Taco about a year or so ago, ver very lightly offroad(cause it wasnt mine), and I liked it a little better. The leafs in the rear are porbably a positive over a 3rd or 4th gen. I liked the 4runner better for trips because it was so easy to store an assload of gear in the back. I go up to NY for a 2 weeks in the summer, and some of the access roads are a little tough, I used to take my F250, but everything in the bed got full of mud, wheras the 4runner has the additional covered cargo space in the rear. That, and the 4runners come with a hood scoop, what more could you want........
Just my .02, I would still take a Taco or a Runner over half the crap out there. Just be glad this wasn't a 4runner vs. FJ thread, then I would have gotten serious.(hahaha, j/k)
Old 03-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Taco has a longer wheelbase (about 8"). This is a big positive if you find yourself scaling a lot of tall ledges (like RockerKnocker or Pritchett Canyon in Moab), but can be a negative if you 'wheel on twisty trails in the woods. 4Runner seems to be a very good balance of both.

Less glass to worry about busting in a Taco.
I was reading the thread waiting for wheelbase to come up. (and I'm surprised it took this long) I often wheel with a 2002 Taco X-cab and a 92 x-cab. What I've noticed:

The trucks certainly are lighter
Trucks are longer - overall and in wheelbase (As noted above, that can be both good and bad)
4runner rear seems to have less ground clearance (maybe its me, but I'd swear my gas tank hangs further out).
Rear ends acts a bit different while flexing. (Like a lot of folks, I grew up with leafs all around on trucks. I'll admit to being slow on updating my knowledge and tastes to coils).

Ultimately, IMHO, not much difference.

EDIT - I wanted a taco x-cab but ended up with the 4runner. I'm happy - but I wonder how much that colours my view of each.

Last edited by Bennito; 03-23-2006 at 06:28 AM.