General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Some information for people who want a SOFT ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some information for people who want a SOFT ride

Hello all, I know this information is not for everyone but I hope it is helpful for those who want a softer ride. Keep in mind this information is from personal experience and observations, not from extensive testing.

I initially installed a 3” Daystar lift with Tokico Trekmasters on my 3rd gen. The ride was definitely harsher. Small dips and bumps would do a number on my kidneys. The best way I could describe it is the rebound and dampening was precise, only one bounce. However, it handled like a sports car around corners. I expected this before I installed the lift, it was definitely not a surprise.

Just recently, I wanted to put my rig back to stock. So I removed the lift but kept the Trekmasters in because I knew they were also rated for stocks heights. To my surprise the ride was exactly the same. The main reason why I removed the lift was to restore the soft ride (baby on the way). I bet I could have kept the factory struts and shocks with the Daystar Lift and maintained a smooth ride.

After doing some research I decided to buy some Monroe Monro-Matic Plus struts and shocks. Please don’t flame, I know these are inferior to all the other setups out there but I need the softest ride possible and these were the best option for me. This rig will be on paved roads 100%. After installing them, it was like night and day. Very smooth and easy on the back, exactly what I was looking for. I almost bought the Sensa-Tracs but I read that the Monro-Matic’s were softer. Hope this information is helpful for those who need it.