General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Need Help!! My 4runner vibrates.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help!! My 4runner vibrates.

I bought my 4runner about 2 weeks ago. When i get to around 65-80 or so (i don't go faster than 80) the car vibrates. The steering wheel is most noticeable. I thought it was because of the balance so i just got my wheels rebalanced...slightly better. I had it done again just incase one weight fell off. They re did the wheels for a second time but i still have that Dumb Vibration. What could it be? could it be alignment or how about new shocks....my shocks are shot.

Please help...thanks,
ry
Old 02-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

I've experienced this, although on a different car (ie: not on my 4Runner). Turned out that the surfaces of the tire (the surfaces that touched the road) was so uneven due to usage. Basically the tire wasn't totally round anymore. That was where the vibration came from.

Just my .02. Maybe you can check your tires.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:59 PM

I just looked at them....visually they look even. Would alignment correct the problem or is alignment just when the car pulls to one side?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:09 PM

How much tread do the tires have left?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

It will normally be one of two things. You need to road force balance your tires or have the place that balances them use a Haweka adapter. Search and you'll see more about this.

The other thing can be your alignment. I had the same issue after an alignment b/c the place did the alignment not w/in spec. I always recommend to get a printout before and after to see if they really did anything. The issue tends to be that most don't know how to use the equipment very well.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a link to find shop that uses a Hunter GSP9700 balancer

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

And you want to make sure they use the Hawkea adapter.

Gadget has some good info on his site

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm
Old 02-17-2006, 01:51 PM

could it not be a slightly warped brake rotor....or maybe evey a slightly worn down u joint....those thing happened to me....well it my 2 cents....by the way, the u joint thing took me 2 months to find the problem....1st the truck would wobble at 0-40 MPH than went to 0-55 MPH so i would still drive on the freeway, then one day 0-65 MPH it felt like one of those old school motel beds that take quarters and vibratem, my eyes would actually hurt after i got out of the truck
Old 02-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warped Rotors was the cause for me...

I had a similar problem after I rotated the tires. Had the Toyota dealer re-balance the tires and that diminished the vibration a little. But after a few thousand miles it came back....found out that the moron at the dealer had over-torqued the lug nuts and warped my rotors.... Next time I am re-torquing those lug nuts myself as soon as I get the car back from any dealer....Of course, the dealer refused to admit it. I am living with the vibration for right now but will change out the rotors and pads in the next few months.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:48 PM

I also have this insane vibration going on in mine....I keep thinking its the aluminum wheels, because even when I got new tires, the guys said the wheels were out of balance. I dunno...I just need to get rebalanced and all that I guess.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RUNR_FAN
I had a similar problem after I rotated the tires. Had the Toyota dealer re-balance the tires and that diminished the vibration a little. But after a few thousand miles it came back....found out that the moron at the dealer had over-torqued the lug nuts and warped my rotors.... Next time I am re-torquing those lug nuts myself as soon as I get the car back from any dealer....Of course, the dealer refused to admit it. I am living with the vibration for right now but will change out the rotors and pads in the next few months.
Over-torqueing can warp the rotors but if you have 3rd gen runner, this also occurred b/c the stock rotors were small for the weight of the vehicle. People that have swapped to Tundra rotors and calipers have not had issues w/ warping rotors, at least not reported.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 PM

it was asked how much tread. I have 2/10ths of an inch on Dunlop Radial Rolver i don't know how many miles are on them. But i had the guy rebalance them twice. Maybe i should rotate the tires?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:42 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2/10"?!?!? Maybe you should replace them! LOL
Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Hmm, 2/10ths eh? Is that 2/10ths (you gotta use better measurements dude, sorry ) until you are left with nothing but solid lines of rubber? Take a pic and post it. I know that on my old civic, once i got the tires to pretty much throw-away status, the car would vibrate something fierce at any speed over 80 kph. Getting new rubber solved the problem right away, nothing more than that.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Over-torqueing can warp the rotors but if you have 3rd gen runner, this also occurred b/c the stock rotors were small for the weight of the vehicle. People that have swapped to Tundra rotors and calipers have not had issues w/ warping rotors, at least not reported.
really?????? I hate to say it, but my truck was always fine, whenever I bought my procomps and BFG ATs as a package I did them myself, I tightened the lugs as much as I could, and have ahd a terrible vibration at around 65-70 ever since. I wonder if that did it. I used a cheater bar to loosen them too, but that shouldnt affect it, I actually didnt think I was able to torque them back as tight as they originally were, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHupp
really?????? I hate to say it, but my truck was always fine, whenever I bought my procomps and BFG ATs as a package I did them myself, I tightened the lugs as much as I could, and have ahd a terrible vibration at around 65-70 ever since. I wonder if that did it. I used a cheater bar to loosen them too, but that shouldnt affect it, I actually didnt think I was able to torque them back as tight as they originally were, but I'm not sure.
You can overtighten them if you don't use the right tool.