General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Line-X Finish results

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Line-X Finish results

I dropped off my 86 4runner to have it's interior bed Line-X'd this week. I don't know why, but they needed it three days. Anyway, I went to pick it up this morning and I was disappointed with the inconsistency of the finish, one side had a nice even texture and the other side looked extremely globby.

Additionally, it had lint stuck in it where the guy admitted that he leaned on it and his sleeve lint got stuck in it.

I refused to take delivery and asked for it to be resprayed. Obviously he'll clean-up the lint, but he said that the consistency is not something they can control.

I find this extremely hard to believe because I've never seen anyone else's turn out like this.

Anyone have opinions on this?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my old first gen completely line-xed inside and out and my front bumper and it was very consistent.
Didnt have any rough spots or anything. Wish i would have got a better picture of the texture.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At our bodyshop we spray whats called "bulldog" liner. Its chemically pretty much identical to line-x. I've been told we use a similar application process too. You don't spray it like you would paint, from 8 inches away. We spray it from 7-10 feet away and it has a 1 foot spray pattern. We spray the build coats first to get it as thick as we want, then "mist" over top of that to get the texture. I can see how it would be very difficult to get even texture spraying through the door and window openings.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I had my bed done with line x here in kirkland. 100% satisfied
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Venting: Line-X experience gone wrong -- still in progress

Ugh! It never fails, something always goes wrong:

Last Thursday... dropped off my 86 4 runner to have the bed area Line-X'd at Truck Specialties in Milwaukie, OR. Took the time at the drop off to go over where I wanted it to start and stop and my expectations.

Friday... they call and say it will be ready by 1pm on Saturday

Saturday 1pm... I show up and the finish is nice and even on one side, globby on the other and I notice a bunch of lint stuck in it dead center in the bed. After I point out the lint (which the guy (the manager) wasn't going to point out on his own), he admits that he just sprayed it the hour before and the lint was from his sleeve when he leaned on it.

He told me to use a brush when I got home to get the lint out. I demanded that he remove it right then. He took it back into the garage for a few minutes came back. The lint was gone, but the finish was all worn down in that spot -- likely from whatever brush he used to remove the lint.

Then I moved onto inspecting the finished product from the point of view of the front door looking back. I noticed that he totally missed the front edge where the bed began and the fronts of the wheel wells -- to which he responded - "oh, that's what you meant".

We agreed that he was going to keep the truck for a few more days and fully respray everything.

Fast forward to today... I get a call from a new person from the same shop. He's a bit inarticulate and tells me that my truck is done and ready for pickup. I ask if done means that they fixed everything and he said no, they did not do anything.

He then goes on to tell me that for the price I was quoted ($375), what I got was good enough for that price and that they should have charged me $600. He then went on to say that my options were to either pay $300 -- all of a sudden he tells me he's authorized to knock $75 off -- or pay $600 for a full respray. And that also, by they way, the manager I was dealing with got fired by the franchise owner over this mishap so I could no longer talk to him about this.

I then asked to speak with the franchise owner and he is and continues to be 'unavailable'.

I am so angry right now. I hate being jerked around.

I've got calls into Line-X corporate. They are looking into what they can do at this point.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:48 PM

My situation just got worse: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...ogress-251803/
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's just negligence plain and simple.

A buddy of mine got jerked around with at a local chain shop. i.e. Pep Boys.

Sucks that some people have to be like this.

Goodluck!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:50 PM

wow such bad service with such a great product! I hope this all gets resolved and done the right way for you.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:13 PM

You paid for a professional job. Don't give up until they fix it.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
totally a bro
Staff

I sure hope someone at corporate helps you out. Please mention that you are reporting your experience to online forums. Threads merged, no need for 2.

Last edited by vital22re; 04-03-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM

Corporate's been very responsive. They advised me to go ahead and pay the $300 to get my truck back as I can't trust that franchise for anything at this point. They're then going to then meet me at my work on Friday afternoon to inspect the vehicle first hand and see how they can help me out.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 217 Likes on 159 Posts
Yup Keep on them, I did rhino a long time ago and you can control everything if it is done correctly.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Originally Posted by stanz
Corporate's been very responsive. They advised me to go ahead and pay the $300 to get my truck back as I can't trust that franchise for anything at this point. They're then going to then meet me at my work on Friday afternoon to inspect the vehicle first hand and see how they can help me out.
That is awesome. I'm Glad they are helping you out.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Update: Line-X District Manager came to my house last night to inspect the 4Runner in person. Turns out that it failed her quality inspection on several fronts - I had flaking and peeling that I had not noticed and she was able to peel off a large chunk in one solid piece. She said that the metal was not prepped right and that it would all have to be stripped down to bare metal and resprayed.

She also said the diamond plate panels that I had provided to be sprayed at the same time were not prepped right either. Apparently they need to be primed.

She was very professional and advised that corporate was stepping in to help 'take care of me'. She wants me to take it back to the same franchise and says that corporate will provide QA oversight for the process. I'm optimistic that this will have a good turn out in the end.

But for now, I'm driving around with no interior, only one seat and my car torn apart. This is already week two. I am hoping this can get resolved soon so I can start reassembling my ride.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully, she is there when they re-do the work and it passes muster.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM

That's what she's saying will happen. She was hinting that my original quote was too low and I could tell she was putting out some feelers to see if i'd be willing to make up the difference on what it should have cost. Given how much I've been jerked around (franchise owner still has not returned any of my calls), I told her that I do not expect to pay anything more.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 217 Likes on 159 Posts
Low original quote or not they said this is what it will cost and that's what you should get. They didn't tell you that you will get a discount if we do a crappy job so you should be taken care of for the original price. Keep on it and hopefully it will get done correctly. Man I hate it when things get that out of control makes you crazy!!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I wouldn't either. The shop that is doing the work should have quoted you higher to begin with. So they should be responsible for the price difference between a hack job and a proper one.

I've seen this before at places. You go in ask for a "cheap" quote and instead of them quoting you a proper price they quote you a lower one to get your money and then take a bunch of shortcuts and turn it around on the customer saying you want better quality, then pay higher. Bad way to do business IMO. Especially when the customer has the expectation that no shortcuts would be taken.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 AM

I used to work for a Line-X here in Sacramento and the one time that I can remember having a problem (mechanical failure of one of the pumps) that really messed up a guys trucks bed, we ended up buying him a new bed and respraying it with no questions asked. Sounds like those guys are idiots and a bad face to a great company. Hopefully they take car of you!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Line-X corporate has gotten back to me. They want me to go to a different franchise for a full strip-down and re-respray. That franchisee will work beyond normal business hours over the weekend to get it back to me by Monday next week. All this at no cost to me.

I have to say that Line-X corporate has really stepped up. They have been extremely professional, responsive and genuine through this entire process. I'm excited that I may actually be able to reassemble my interior soon!

Quick Reply: Line-X Finish results