General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

I need a wider stance!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need a wider stance!

Ok, well I was looking at my 4runner today and there was a rodeo next to me. It had been modded (which I am going to start doing as soon as I get all the tune up things taken care of) and one of the things that I liked about it was the wide stance it gave off. He had some rims that stuck out from the body a lot. I don?t want anything that sticks out a lot but I do want a wider stance.

So my question is what would be the best way to do this both with the stock rims and without. Spacers? I am also on a budget when it comes to tires right now. I am going to get the small things done first then save up for the bigger stuff. So what are my options for a little wider stance and a good price?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you like your current rims just get spacers. Marlin has a nice selection of sizes:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm
Old 04-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You sure it wasn't this Rodeo? (My ex rig - now with my ex)

The thing looks like a rollerskate - BUT it has a WIDE stance!
Old 04-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
If you like your current rims just get spacers. Marlin has a nice selection of sizes:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/axles.htm
That is about what i was looking for, i just didn't know where to look for them or if they really were the best choice. I do plan on new rims in the future but due to budget it will be one of the last things to be done as my tires/rims still have a lot of miles left in them.

Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by Lysmachia

Wow, that IS what you call a wide ride! The one i saw was not quite THAT wide but it was a little to wide for my taste. But i do have to admire your ex, that would be quite a sight coming into someones rear view!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia

very nice ride
Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Honestly if you were to go with spacers I would just do it temporarily. You will find that a rim with less backspacing and a wider tire really just pulls it off better. I run 33x12.50 on a 15x10 rim. And my tires stick out probably 3-4 inches. And in case you didnt think about it, if you go wider then the more tire you have sticking out, and the more junk you are going to be throwing against the body of your truck. I HAVE to rhino line the bottom of my body because I throw so much up, and I cant find any good and wide fenders.

And sorry I dont have any better pics. But here is an example.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarheelrunner is running spacers and his truck looks sick:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2005-mods-review-77948/
Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by first4runner
Honestly if you were to go with spacers I would just do it temporarily. You will find that a rim with less backspacing and a wider tire really just pulls it off better. I run 33x12.50 on a 15x10 rim. And my tires stick out probably 3-4 inches. And in case you didnt think about it, if you go wider then the more tire you have sticking out, and the more junk you are going to be throwing against the body of your truck. I HAVE to rhino line the bottom of my body because I throw so much up, and I cant find any good and wide fenders.

And sorry I dont have any better pics. But here is an example.

I am planning the spacers as a semi temp setup, until i have to replace the tires anyways. and they are almost new so it will be a little while but they will get changed some time.

Good point about throughing stuff up, i didn't think about that. With the spacers it won't be a problem since i have the running boards still on there for the time being and they will protect with spacers. But when i get new rims i will have to keep that in mind.

That is a pic btw, gives me an idea of what a wider look would do!

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Tarheelrunner is running spacers and his truck looks sick:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77948
That is just what i needed! That is almost exactly what i was looking for with the spacers. I don't mind the limited rims and they do have some nice goodyear tires on them that look good so i think spacers are the way to go! (until i have the $$ for a whole new tire/rim setup that is...)

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, i got another question about spacers.

I have been looking around at differnt ones and i have noticed a big differnce in $$. Some are $125+ and some are $50. Is there any real quality differnce between them? They are just a hunk of metal so i would not think so but wanted to make sure. Since these are temporary i don't want to spend to much on them.

The best deals i have found have been on ebay. There are a ton of them up there from $50 - $100 and they all LOOK the same but i don't know if they ARE the same... Thanks for any help...
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ok, i got another question about spacers.

I have been looking around at differnt ones and i have noticed a big differnce in $$. Some are $125+ and some are $50. Is there any real quality differnce between them? They are just a hunk of metal so i would not think so but wanted to make sure. Since these are temporary i don't want to spend to much on them.

The best deals i have found have been on ebay. There are a ton of them up there from $50 - $100 and they all LOOK the same but i don't know if they ARE the same... Thanks for any help...
Are they all made from Billet 6061-T6 aluminum and use Grade 8 Studs, Grade 10.9 nuts?

Also look at TG:
http://www.trail-gear.com/wheelspacers.html
Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one mentioned the $$ wya to do it...
axle swap and LT front
Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Are they all made from Billet 6061-T6 aluminum and use Grade 8 Studs, Grade 10.9 nuts?

Also look at TG:
http://www.trail-gear.com/wheelspacers.html
Yeah, most of them (the ones i was looking at) are made of Billet 6061 aluminum. But most of them don't state the bolt/stud grade. Here are a few examples:

ebay item 1

ebay item 2

I really like that first one with the free shipping.

EDIT: Called about the first one and they are grade 8 bolts and studs. they said that is more than enough for any car/truck. Grade 10+ is for semi trailers and the like...

list of the ebay listing for anyone that is interested...

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 04-26-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
A good 15x10" rim 6.25" backspaced, with some 35x12.5's. Sets 'em out there a bit. Not too spendy, the rims were about $100 each.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that does sound like a good deal for the rims but the 35's i am sure were not cheap. Plus i just don't have the money for any wheel/suspension right now. Hope to do that after the SC.