General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Holy smokes! literally!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i barely got any smoke out of mine also. i added to the brake booster vaccum line. i added about 1/4 of the can.

anyone know if the white smoke that comes out is any more environmentally unfriendly than regular exhaust?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
For somone who only recently discovered the validity of Seafoam - you're being pretty harsh...
I've been selling and buying seafoam for years. I particularly like their bug-b-gone spray on bug remover. Put some into your washer fluid or spray it directly on the bugs. I've just never heard of such creative methods of using their additives. I apologize if I was harsh. I was trying to be harsh and funny

Last edited by spindleshanks; 01-06-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spindleshanks
I've been selling and buying seafoam for years. ... I've just never heard of such creative methods of using their additives.
Ahh, so your pop-off in the other thread was because of how we're all introducing it into the engine? got cha'.

The upside of pouring it into the intake basically until the engine stalls is that you're letting it sit on the valves, pistons and cylinder walls in a very high concentration compared to dumping a pint into 15 gallons of gas.

Run 1/2 of a can directly into the intake with the engine idling, kill the engine, pour the rest into the crankcase, and let everything sit for a few hours.

The net effect is much like soaking a rusty part in PB Blaster for an hour versus spraying and re-spraying it over the course of a day.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:17 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I disconnected the end on the valve cover, so I was putting it into the intake. I pinched the hose enough to keep the truck running, then SLOWLY poured the seafoam into the hose. I poured just enough that the truck would stay running, but not enough to bog it down or stall it out. I did 1/4 can twice, letting it sit 45min-1 hour between, and the other half the can in the crankcase. I wonder if I was too slow getting around to shut the truck off, and there wasn't any "sitting" in the engine for the wait time.

Does seem to run a bit smoother now. No significant effect on gas mileage. I will definitely be doing it regularly in both my cars.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
you have a who-da-what? please explain
The PCV system takes essentially blow-by, which includes oil and oil vapor, and routes it back into the intake to be reburned in the combustion chamber. There's your intake goop. Imagine simply taking the PCV hose, making a cut in it and putting an air/oil separator in the middle. The oily vapor goes into the can, settles out and the air continues back into the intake. Now you have the best of both worlds--no gunk in the intake and your engine actually runs cleaner because it's not burning PCV oil.

I would not recommend using the breather technique. It leaves an oily vapor all over the engine bay, your truck will smell like burnt oil and it is a detriment to air quality.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Ahh, so your pop-off in the other thread was because of how we're all introducing it into the engine? got cha'.

The upside of pouring it into the intake basically until the engine stalls is that you're letting it sit on the valves, pistons and cylinder walls in a very high concentration compared to dumping a pint into 15 gallons of gas.

Run 1/2 of a can directly into the intake with the engine idling, kill the engine, pour the rest into the crankcase, and let everything sit for a few hours.

The net effect is much like soaking a rusty part in PB Blaster for an hour versus spraying and re-spraying it over the course of a day.
It makes sense. Someone once told me how they unseized a gummed closed fuel injector by getting an additive into the FI system, then leaving it sitting there on the unenergized injector pintles overnight, then tapping the injector with a wrench in the morning. My pop-off in the other thread was because sometimes people develop overly complicated methods to do things. The procedure I read for the Seafoam treatment appeared to be an unnecessary chore considering the other options out there for flushing fuel systems and crankcases. But the Seafoam procedure is a DIY job, so it does save a lot of money compared to a professional job. I see the value in it. You gotta understand that when I first read the instructions somebody posted, it just sounded hilarious!