General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Getting out broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Getting out broken bolt

******* 30+ year old hardware. lol

Just try an easy out?

Last edited by Rusker; 07-31-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can try soaking it in PB Blaster for a few day and using an easy out, or you can drill it out and re-tap the hole.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(im guessing you did but) did you try vice grips? ithinlk the little needlenose vice grips would work the best, also soak it, my 3 favorites are pb blaster crc336 and seafoam
Old 07-30-2010, 07:57 PM

i would grind it flat without getting into the alum. then center punch it and drill it out then chip the treads out or use a tap.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No effing way! I did the same thing today I have never seen another thread on this before, then it pops up on the day i do it.

I Turned the bolt a quarter turn and it was broken. Didnt even warn me that it was gonne break.

Easy outs are hit and miss. Hit, they do their job and get it out. Miss, well then you have a hardened bit that you will need to drill through before tapping the hole.

yours looks like you can get vicegrips on it. Soak it in a bunch of pb blaster, then you should be able to work it out.

Mine on the other hand is flush, i will be drilling and tapping it.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
gawd I hate links

I'd drill it out as much as you can(and for the love of pete make a DEAD center hole) and then chase it with a tap...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
if you have a welder and a torch... heat up the broken bolt real nice, soak with pb blaster, heat up, then soak, weld onto that bolt enough material to get some vice grips on and carefully wiggle it out. I've done it many times for the thermostate bolts and for exhast manifold bolts.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
(im guessing you did but) did you try vice grips? ithinlk the little needlenose vice grips would work the best, also soak it, my 3 favorites are pb blaster crc336 and seafoam
I had been trying to resolve a heating issue when this happened. So after I snapped this bolt I just put my away, and called it a day.

I planned on trying some vice grips, and a bottle of PB blaster I had. I guess I'll hit it a few times over the weekend to really let it soak in.

Never heard of crc336. Seafoam I have, but not for this application. What has worked best for you?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
No effing way! I did the same thing today I have never seen another thread on this before, then it pops up on the day i do it.

I Turned the bolt a quarter turn and it was broken. Didnt even warn me that it was gonne break.

Easy outs are hit and miss. Hit, they do their job and get it out. Miss, well then you have a hardened bit that you will need to drill through before tapping the hole.

yours looks like you can get vicegrips on it. Soak it in a bunch of pb blaster, then you should be able to work it out.

Mine on the other hand is flush, i will be drilling and tapping it.
I've had to deal with stuff like this before, but usually I'm left with a little more material to work with. I figured I'd make a thread and what what other ideas you guys have come up with. Maybe this will help someone down the road as well.

Let me know how yours turns out.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
if you have a welder and a torch... heat up the broken bolt real nice, soak with pb blaster, heat up, then soak, weld onto that bolt enough material to get some vice grips on and carefully wiggle it out. I've done it many times for the thermostate bolts and for exhast manifold bolts.

I do have a small flux core welder I could use. I guess I'll soak it in PB for a few days, and see what I can do with vice grips before I try this. Sounds like a perfect way to get it out though.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rusker
I had been trying to resolve a heating issue when this happened. So after I snapped this bolt I just put my away, and called it a day.

I planned on trying some vice grips, and a bottle of PB blaster I had. I guess I'll hit it a few times over the weekend to really let it soak in.

Never heard of crc336. Seafoam I have, but not for this application. What has worked best for you?
i think pb and crc 336 is the best, my buddy (the p/o of my truck) has a huge farm, so he buys crc by the pallet, and when he gave me my truck, he threw in 3 cans of crc as a joke because its so rusty, ill tell ya what though crc 336 is worth its weight in gold, its freed so many peices of my truck.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

These bolts break all the time.

When I get a new to me 22rec I just try to remove the bolts without breaking 50/50 chance then use the thread replacement of choice new bolts well coated with never seize .

I have used all kinds of penetrating oils and have settled on Aero kroil I have used the vise grip method and I have drilled them out. i really don`t seem to have good luck with easy outs so I pretty much gave up on them
Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have access to a welder you can weld a nut on top and soak with pb and try getting it out or an easy out.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
These bolts break all the time.

When I get a new to me 22rec I just try to remove the bolts without breaking 50/50 chance then use the thread replacement of choice new bolts well coated with never seize .

I have used all kinds of penetrating oils and have settled on Aero kroil I have used the vise grip method and I have drilled them out. i really don`t seem to have good luck with easy outs so I pretty much gave up on them
What's the size/pitch of this bolt? I plan on getting something better as a replacement.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by poweraid
If you have access to a welder you can weld a nut on top and soak with pb and try getting it out or an easy out.
I've been hitting it with PB on and off for the last few days. I also picked up a set of needle nosed vise grips, so we'll see what happens.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
One option that works in some cases is to heat up the bolt/hole area hot enough to melt come candle wax (paraffin) onto the thread area. Let the heat wick the wax sown into the threads and then try removing the bolt.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine out.
Easy didnt work.
Drilled and retapped threads didnt work.
So it ended up getting a helicoil.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I use the weld a nut method on the broken stud, and it works for me every time. Also, try hitting it with a decent size hammer first. I have had bolts seize, in aluminum mainly, and a few blows from the hammer seems to unstick the threads and head from the hole.

good luck
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM

Well I went at it a few times with the needle nosed vice-grips with no luck. I didn't want to try too many times because I'm starting to really destroy what is left. I figure I'll get it soak with more PB. Hopefully I moved it just enough to allow more if it to soak in.

I'll try the candle wax idea, and even give it a few good whacks. I'm hoping I don't have to weld a bolt on it, or re-thread it.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The bolt size is M8x1.25

Good luck

Quick Reply: Getting out broken bolt