General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were in the same boat. I'm trying to get the compressor in within the next two weeks so that I'm ready for the locker install. Otherwise its going to be open diffs at Tellico.

but yeah all these guys have great set ups, and now everything is combined in one thread. So it should be easy next time someone clicks the search button.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

At least you have your parts in. I don't even have my 3rd member yet. The guy I'm getting it from already has it boaxed up, he just got it back from being re-building at ARB. But it being a set-up 3rd should make it quicker, then I just have to run air lines, get my compressor in and get all the bits and peices. Speaking of fitting the compressor.

Is ANYONE running the Extreamair in a 1st gen Runner, or at least a 22RE engine bay compartment. I would really like to see how you got it to fit. I don't have A/C so that frees up a bunch of space, but I would still like to see the clearance and a good angle to mount this thing.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by transalper

... Bajataco just finished this handy diagram for his compressor/locker setup: http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/attach...SCHEMATIC1.gif
FYI - this schematic was preliminary, and the actual install will be a little different. I found out that the ADD position switch is not so easy to tie into. When in 2wd it has power, and when shifted into 4wd it loses power (Weird, I know). So, I am scrapping the concept of tying into the ADD circuit just to avoid messing with the 4wd ECU and ADD circuitry - I am just going to install a master switch like Transalper did.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe a dumb question, but all I have is an ARB set-up 3rd sitting here in my room and I got a solinoid to go with it from the guy that sold it to me, so Iwas wondering where ddo I hook the solinoid up to? It has a little quick connect wire harness coming out of it, so where does that hook up to. What exactly does the solinoid do as well?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Maybe a dumb question, but all I have is an ARB set-up 3rd sitting here in my room and I got a solinoid to go with it from the guy that sold it to me, so Iwas wondering where ddo I hook the solinoid up to? It has a little quick connect wire harness coming out of it, so where does that hook up to. What exactly does the solinoid do as well?
The solenoid sends the air to the air locker. The solenoid is connected to the compressor/tank. When the solenoid is activated air from the compressor comes through the solenoid and air goes out to lock the air locker. The wires go to the dash switch and ground. Check out Bajataco's and the ARB compressor wiring diagram.

Last edited by transalper; 04-21-2004 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by transalper
The solenoid sends the air to the air locker. The solenoid is connected to the compressor/tank. When the solenoid is activated air from the compressor comes through the solenoid and air goes out to lock the air locker. The wires go to the dash switch. Check out Bajataco's and the ARB compressor wiring diagram.
I need the ARB wiring diagram, do you have one you could scan on here for me. If not I'll just call ARB and get them to send me one, hopefully free of charge.

Last edited by Stump1883; 04-20-2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

The guys at Expedition Exchange have these on their website:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/rdcka/compressor2.jpg
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/rdcka/compressor3.jpg
Old 04-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

What comes with these lockers that I'm missing out on, it seems as though I need alot of wires and connectors. I really don't want to hand wire this thing, that could take mroe than a day just to wire it all. It would take less time to swap in the 3rds then to wire it all. All the compressor fittings and what not that I will need to run the Extreamair should be a breeze, but this wire issue with swithes, solinoids, ect. worries me. Would ARB hook me up with all the wiring kits and looms I might need, if that's even what comes with the kit? Help me out here, this thread coverd all the compressor stuff but nothing about wiring. :cry: Help a confused colleg kid out. <--Me to myself, "You will take more stupid electrical classes next semester, you will take more stupid elec.., OWW."

Last edited by Stump1883; 04-21-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:09 PM

Didnt you get a wiring harness? if not I would recommend getting the ARB one, its prewired for everything.

What comes with these lockers that I'm missing out on, it seems as though I need alot of wires and connectors. I really don't want to hand wire this thing, that could take mroe than a day just to wire it all. It would take less time to swap in the 3rds then to wire it all. All the compressor fittings and what not that I will need to run the Extreamair should be a breeze, but this wire issue with swithes, solinoids, ect. worries me. Would ARB hook me up with all the wiring kits and looms I might need, if that's even what comes with the kit? Help me out here, this thread coverd all the compressor stuff but nothing about wiring. :cry: Help a confused colleg kid out. <--Me to myself, "You will take more stupid electrical classes next semester, you will take more stupid elec.., OWW."
Old 04-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
Didnt you get a wiring harness? if not I would recommend getting the ARB one, its prewired for everything.
Nope no wiring harness, it was just a used(but entierly re-built 3rd). He got me a solinoid, and some of that bling bling blue wire, but I'm left picking up the odds and ends. I guess I'll give ARB a ring sometime today and see how much this is going to set me back. :pat: Would the harness come as a complete kit, then it would all just be plug and play correct?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Nope no wiring harness, it was just a used(but entierly re-built 3rd). He got me a solinoid, and some of that bling bling blue wire, but I'm left picking up the odds and ends. I guess I'll give ARB a ring sometime today and see how much this is going to set me back. :pat: Would the harness come as a complete kit, then it would all just be plug and play correct?
The wiring harness comes with the ARB compressor. I'm not sure if they will sell it separately, but it's worth a call.

Honestly, the wiring is pretty straight forward. An added bonus of doing it yourself is then you know where to look if things stop working.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

They do sell the harness seperately, but one word of caution; the power supply wires in the harness were designed to handle a relatively small load like the ARB compressor. If you are running a monster of a compressor, you MUST upgrade that wiring or it will burn to harness out. The harness wiring will get the switch hooked up to the relay, etc., but the main power wires need to be matched to the load, as does the relay itself.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Good point. Plus the ARB harness is notorious for needing a new fuse holder after a year or so. IMHO if you have to replace the relay, main power wires, and fuse holder, you may as well just fab up the whole set-up.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Dang, now I'm lost again, I called them this afternoon and they gave me great prices on all the littl parts. Much better prices then 4x4connection. For anyone wanting replacement parts just call ARB directly. The wiring harness was like $24. I relaly want to make this a plug and play system and not do all the fabing myself(I know nothing about electrical stuff) and making a harness scares the heck out of me.

Could I just get the harness, use it for all the plug ups to the solinoids, switches, ect. And then just replace the power lines that run to the compressor? Or would that just be too expensive? What kind of wires are we talking here to run an Outback Extream Air? Can anyone running a larger compressor help me out here. I really want OBA, but if it's this much truble then I'll just settle for the ARB compressor.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Stump-- Give Mike at Extreme off road a call. Extreme makes a kit for their compressor that will work with the ARB lockers
Old 04-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

oh and as soon as I can get mine wired up .. I'll have a mini write up for that as well
Old 04-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
oh and as soon as I can get mine wired up .. I'll have a mini write up for that as well
You would be my hero if you could make a write up for this. I'm a visual person, so take some pictures. If you could get a write up done before Tellico you would be a god in my book, I want this thing ready by then at least, counting that my compressor will be ordered and in by then.

If you don't mind sharing, how much was the wiring harness from Mike?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think its a harness per say .. its more of a relays,switched, fuses ..stuff like that .. the wires you still gotta pick up from Radio shak (couple of bucks). But yeah I'll either have it done this weekend (most likely not) .. or sometime later next week. But the cost somewhere around $80 .. if I remember correctly.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

also this won't be one of those nice Bob write ups .. more like I'll post pics .. and try my best to explain .... all the guys here who chimed in to help are great, ... their the ones you should be looking to for help
Old 04-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
also this won't be one of those nice Bob write ups .. more like I'll post pics .. and try my best to explain .... all the guys here who chimed in to help are great, ... their the ones you should be looking to for help
I know these guys are great, all their sites and insights have helped ALOT. I'm really apprehenive about wiring all this stuff, I've never really understood electircal things. I don't know what wires I'll need, or how all this stuff hooks up to one another, it's all a blur, even those diagrams make about 60% clarity for me. Lots of pics please I can usually figure things out better with pictures then words, I figured the whole air system stuff out by pictures more than anything. Geez I feel like such a noob all over again, thank God this is not Pirate, I would have never gotten responses like this, mostly just middle finger smile faces.

Quick Reply: Extremeair/ARB locker install has started (need help)