General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Downey Off Road Double loops and rear shackles

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey Off Road Double loops and rear shackles

Does anyone have access to an old Downey catalog? I purchased rear shackles and front IFS double loops for my '86 4wd long wheel base Auto years ago for a build and am just now getting around to installing them and need shocks. I'm pretty sure the catalog listed the recommended Rancho numbers for both, but I can't find my catalog anywhere. Rancho's support line is like everyone else's, someone reading from a script or flowchart and basically no help. The front shocks change from loop bottom/ stud top to loop/loop in front and I also have their torsion bars which I plan to twist another inch out of to clear 33's so I don't know how that will affect the shock required in front. I work in auto parts and had thought about just measuring the distance in between the old shock mt and new location and just figure in the required travel and go on Rancho's fab link and get a number that way, but was told that wouldn't work by a Rancho rep. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone else ever seen a 4wd automatic. I've seen 4runners and 2wd's, but both were column shift. I have the only floor shift I've ever seen. Will try to get some pics of the build in progress and some before and after photos.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I dug up my old Downey catalog, it says for kit number 48586-L (the double shock loop kit for 86-95 pick-ups) applications the Rancho part number is 5601R. I haven't found that loop kit in the catalog but I think that is what you are after. I can zerox the page for you & post it in the morning if you would like.

Damn it!! Why did Downey have to go out of business? I loved those guys & the catalog!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech!!!

It doesn't really matter what shock it is....

Step A- measure the distance between shock mounts while the truck is sitting statically.

Step B- measure the distance between shock mounts while wheel is fully stuffed(or on the stops).

Step C- measure the distance between shock mounts while wheel is at full droop.

With those measurements any shock company should be able to get you what you need.

Yes, it blows that Downey went under...

Last edited by BigBluePile; 09-09-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: forgot to say hi....:wave:
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kgusb
I work in auto parts and had thought about just measuring the distance in between the old shock mt and new location and just figure in the required travel and go on Rancho's fab link and get a number that way, but was told that wouldn't work by a Rancho rep.
That is how I have picked my Rancho shocks for over 10 years. Measure the compressed/extended lengths or travel, match up to a top and bottom mounting type and pick the shock that is the best match. I like that Rancho gives a nice chart of all their shock specs.

The key is when you order, just have the p/n's in hand and don't mention the vehicle/application. I usually order from some place like 4WPW or Summit.