General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Do you think any mfg will ever come out with a SMALL, basic tough 4x4 truck again?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by riddarunner
... Then also took one down the rubacon trail with nothing more then sliders welded on and ther only damage was one trim pice got riped off.
yeah...no.

That truck was ALOT more thrashed then just "one trim piece being ripped off" I'd wager the only straight panel's left were the roof and the hood. Neat truck, but it didn't make it down the "RUB I CON" unscathed. nothing IFS with "just sliders" will though so it's not like it failed at anything...

Originally Posted by bigt
new suzuki truck is pretty good.. i think suzuki is your best bet.. we need a new LWB samurai best truck ever
FYI the new Suzuki is just a Nissan Frontier with a better looking (IMO) front clip...There's nothing Suzuki about it... except the badges, and there's nothing "Mini-truck" about it either, it's big and full of all the things I don't want in a truck: Carpet, multiple air-bags, power everything etc...I do agree however that the LWB Sami is one of the coolest trucks ever. kind of like a smaller 1st Gen 4Runner (the actual BEST truck ever ) I love them, but they're near impossible to find these days.

I completely agree with the OP, I want a simple utilitarian OPTION for god sakes... leve the luxo-barges where they are and let those who wish to buy "trucks" with more ammenities then my living room. But could we in N America not ALL be treated like were overcompensating for something. Some of us like smaller, simpler trucks and frankly we don't have an option in that realm except to buy used... Thank god Toyotas last forever so there are still a ton around to be had.

Actualy when it's all said and done I just want to be able to order a Diesel 70 series Troupie from the dealer regardless of the fact that I live in the USA. That would make me happy for starters, then we can get into making smaller trucks again

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Diesel_Freak; 02-21-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak
yeah...no.

That truck was ALOT more thrashed then just "one trim piece being ripped off" I'd wager the only straight panel's left were the roof and the hood. Neat truck, but it didn't make it down the "RUB I CON" unscathed. nothing IFS with "just sliders" will though so it's not like it failed at anything...

Just taking down the Rubicon says something about it's ability. And judging from the article it doesn't look "thrashed"

2010 4Runner on Rubicon Trail

Not that it has anything to do at all with the original question of the thread, mind you, I was just curious to see how straight it really was...
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM

I like that Mahindra truck. I've never owned a diesel however and it would probably make me a little aprehensive in the cold climate where I live. I'll keep an eye on it though. It would be pretty cool to tow my boat around while getting great gas mileage.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Bigger and more steel keeps Americans alive and paying taxes
Old 02-26-2010, 01:20 PM

I hate to say it, but once you've gotten to run a 5spd, Diesel 70-series Ute and Troupie (witch I have been...) it's real hard to get excited about ANYTHING in Toyotas N.American line-up. Throw in a smattering of oolder SFA Diesel Hilux's and you'll flat out cry when you realize you have to come back home to the land of the limitedly free... I think that's why I love my 1st Gen 4Runner so much, it's as close to what I had in Australia that could be found here in the USA. Australia and S.Africa has been building the 3rd Gen P/U in Diesel, SFA quad-cab, 5spd flavors up until say the last ten years and they are flat out AMAZING trucks. They'll tow and people in these countries consistantly manage to accomplish the same things in their small "mini-trucks" that people in the US seem to think they need a huge "over compensation mobile" to do the work... Seriosuly every time I see a "builder" with a jacked up Silverado on 35's and an IFS lift I just laugh... First off you bought a Shivy (GARBAGE) and second off you don't need a truck that big, nor does a lift and 35's make for a reliable, easy to use WORK truck. Seriously, go to Australia and take a look at all the "tradies" with their 70 Series Ute's getting it done and then come tell me that we N.Americans NEED the big 3 at all...

I'm a Toyota junkie through and through...and really I'd buy a New Toyota over nearly ANY other manufacturer's garbage, unless I needed a Full-size Diesel (AHEM...TOYOTA...you listening) in witch case I'd go with a Dodge/Cummins/6spd combo, or if I were trying to build a pure bred rockcrawler I'd start with a J8 and the Diesel (see a theme here ) .

That said, I think the new 5th Gen 4Runner is a very cool truck that just needs a manual tranny and a Diesel to really get my attention. As for my Rubi comments, the pics of the full on aftermath (as in NOT the editorial pics that Toyota approved for press) show a slightly different story...those trucks took a beating. BUT they did do it and survived very well I think. I meant to take NOTHING away from the 4Runner, just pointing out that a full bodied IFS rig with minimal armor will always have that experience on the Con.

As to the
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Good points here. I’m glad I’m not the only one who looks at the options available everywhere but here and wonders why.

The Hilux, Hilux Surf, either preferably both would be a great addition to the Toyota lineup in the US but the question for Toyota is how well would they sell.

That by itself wouldn’t be so bad if those of us who wanted what those vehicles offered, were allowed to import them without paying a fortune for them. Also probably not going to happen.

Does anyone know what kind of BS a person would have to go through to legally import a Hilux into the US?