YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Differential Temperature

Ok so I'm workin on breaking in my new gears. I borrowed an IR temp gun from work today so i could see how hot my differential case is getting. What i have come up with is about 112 degrees F after 5 miles, 125 Degrees after 10 miles. That was the rear. The front was 100 both times. So here is my question. How do these numbers look? is the rear getting too warm? i checked my trans am diff cover when i got home from work today and it was 145. but that is a completely different vehicle. Oh btw the temps are all taken from the center of the rear end. right about the same hight as the fill plug.

thanks
Adam
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #2

Doesnt sound abnormal to me.

My transmission cowl will get pretty warm to the touch (from inside the cab) and the dif will get warm enough to almost not be able to keep your hand on it. Normal.

As long as your oil levels are fine that seems fine to me!

Your front differential shouldnt get hot at all if its not engaged.
TG 3" FR Springs, TG 4" R Springs, rear disc-brakes, chromoly rear axles, chromoly 27 Birfs, T-case brake, 5x 37x12.50r15 Goodyear MTR, Yukon 5.29 gears, F/R Aussie Lockers, MC 1600lb clutch, Magnaflow
drew303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #3

alright well i just wanted to make sure that i dont over heat my new stuff! cause that would really suck. Do you think i should keep runnin it for more than 10 miles and see if it still increases in temp? the front is only turning cause i have the hubs locked but there is no power through it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #4

just drove it again. The temp seems to level off around 130 or so degrees. Does this sound about right? too hot? or am i just paranoid... haha im going to guess its probably the latter.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
tc
Contributing Member

Well, actually, when breaking in gears you kinda want it to get hot. The better use for the IR gun would be making sure it's cooled COMPLETELY before driving the truck again. You want to go through a couple of those heat/cool cycles right after you put the gears in, then go easy until you have about 500 miles on them, drain the gear oil (it will appear very black - that's OK) and replace (with synthetic IMHO) and then you can 'wheel, tow, whatever.
Previous - 89 2WD Pickup 22R, Fabtech "Ivan Dan" lift, 31x10.50, IASCA World Finals 4th Place

Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #6

alright thanks for your help. I think they are doin alright, and i always let them cool off for quite a while before driving it again.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #7

VolcomCO
Find a nice flat dirt road and put it in 4 high. Drive 10 miles out, varying your speed and RPM, but being somewhat easy on it. After 10 miles, turn around and drive back. Park it and let sit for several hours to cool. Repeat 2-3 time and your gears are broke in!
Marlin Crawler Dual Ultimate Crawler
39.5" Iroks
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

My 4 wheel drive club
http://www.rockfrogs.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
He just wants to make sure red line is still there!
Volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
112, axle, degree, differential, end, hot, maximum, normal, operating, rear, safe, temp, temperature, temperatures, truck, warm