General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Difference between Aussie, EZ, Lock Right

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between Aussie, EZ, Lock Right

So is there a difference between the Aussie Locker, Detroit EZ Locker, and the Powertrax Lock Right? Wether it be design or quality of materials? I know the Detroit states its for occasional light off roading, while the Lock Right claims ideal for vehicles used primarily under severe driving conditions. Is one really that much better or should I just get the one I can find the best price for? Ive used a Lock Right in the past in a V8 longbed with 35's and had no complaints. And Ive heard alot of good stuff about the Aussie. Ive had a fuul case Detroit before in a full size Blazer but right now the budget can only get me a lunchbox locker.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I think they are pretty much the same, at least in the Toyota versions. Aside from the lawsuit mentioned in the quote below, I think the Powertax sued the AUssi Locker folks when they came out with their product. So any differences between the 3 are probably just enough to satisfy the lawyers on all sides.

Some info. from Aussie, take it or leave it:

We appreciate the comments made by our customers in response to your postings.

We sell more lockers based on the performance of our product and customer loyalty than we do with advertising in magazines. Thank you for sharing the comments with us.

We generally end up comparing our product against the LR product, but much of what we point out in that comparison holds true for the EZ locker. The EZ Locker was fundamentally a copy of the LR which resulted in protracted patent and business practices litigation starting in 1996 when it was introduced. Changes were made to get around the patent issue but some of the fundamental design issues, we feel, still remain.

The cam design used by EZ and LR are the same, and the manufacturing processes are similar. We use a parametric manufacturing process that is unique in the industry. The differences in manufacturing philosophy results in "tolerance build up" in the competitors products that can cause lockers to be harsher in operation than the Aussie and in some instances can cause premature failure. If you take Aussie Locker 456 and compare it with locker 3,291 you will find that they are almost identical. It is this process that causes us to refer to the Aussie Locker as an "Automatic Precision" locker rather than an Automatic Positive Locking locker the others use to define their product.

The design of the EZ and the LR are such that they induce as much as 60% additional backlash in the diff. The Aussie Locker is less than half that amount and this results in smoother operation and less stress on components.

We don't believe that the window concept used by EZ and LR to enable you to insert the springs and in the case of the EZ the little top hat they use, represent good engineering practices. We have seen a lot of stress and breakage in this area on competitive lockers and the Aussie Locker design is substantially different in this critical area and is covered under pending patents.

We use a unique and proprietary heat process. This process results in a long lasting locker and one that is strong and dependable for the life of the locker.

Our Aussie Locker uses a special alloy only available from a mill in Germany. The EZ and the LR use 9310 or one of the more common steel products that are more general use in nature.

The list goes on and one. But since the issue was raised about the differences between the EZ and the Aussie lets look at the warranty. A warranty duration is usually developed by engineering and management then factors in business decisions on what tolerance they have for replacing defective product over some span of time they are comfortable with under a financial risk model. The EZ locker has a One Year warranty and the Aussie Locker has a Two Year warranty. It is clear by this warranty that the management of the Aussie Locker has double the confidence in their product than that of the EZ locker company management. And our warranty does not have any language that limits liability if you use large tires or have high horsepower.

There will be happy users of the competitors products or they would not be selling them. However, we are confident that we have the better locker and we back it by our warranty and our customer service. Try asking the EZ locker engineers a question on Saturday afternoon when you are in the middle of an install. Our phones are answered 24/7 and technicians are on cell phones for prompt callbacks.

We hope we merit your order.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Well if Aussie has double the warranty time and no limits on HP and tire size it must be a quality unit. And $250 aint bad.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I think they are pretty much the same, at least in the Toyota versions. Aside from the lawsuit mentioned in the quote below, I think the Powertax sued the AUssi Locker folks when they came out with their product. So any differences between the 3 are probably just enough to satisfy the lawyers on all sides.

Some info. from Aussie, take it or leave it:
X2. I've heard the Aussie is supposed to be a better product made of superior material to the others but thats just hearsay i've had no actual experience with any of them. I plan on buying one of them soon though, probably the Aussie depending on how long they will take to get me one.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM

I wonder what the advanced high strength ultra resistant alloy that the Aussie locker is made from.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did a review on the Aussie a little while ago. I don't find it invasive. Look in my signature for the link.