General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

clutch Failing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch Failing?

I've got a 94 xcab4x4 22re. Driving today stop and go and suddenly, shifter started grinding, had to push HARD on the clutch to change gears. Got it home with a new clutch slave cylinder in hand. Installed that and still same problem. so i added a neoprene shim between the cylinder rod and the clutch lever. that helped a little and so i lengthened the threaded master cylinder rod to the clutch peddle as far as i could. now i can shift without grinding, but with the clutch to the floor. I'm not confident that it is totally fixed.
Anyone want to speculate? I replaced the clutch master about a year ago after ruining a couple pair of shoes from the brake fluid (unglued the soles from a pair of running shoes), so i'm thinking throw out bearing or some other internal transmission problem.
Any ideas would be much appreciated
Dash
Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it sounds like what I heard of described as throw out bearing but please do not take apart just based on my opinion. I work at a desk all day.

You are where? One of us could be just down the street down the road down the highway you get the point... we are all friends here and look out for one another .

You seem like you must have skills -are you going to replace the clutch?

If so then just get the confirmation you need at a tranny shop and have them give you an estimate. Use their knowledge to supplement your own thoughts and guesses. Plan ahead and do all the other preventative maintenance possible while it is taken apart.

If you won't be doing the work yourself then you have one estimate in hand to compare another against.