General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

black and brown grease??? CV Joint.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black and brown grease??? CV Joint.

im about to change the front cv joint boot on my 4runner. I was doing some reading on it, and it got me wondering exactly what kinda of grease each one is. i didnt order the kit, i just bought the outter boot by itself.

reference i used.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/changing-cv-boots-86-95-ifs-toyotas-81059/
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM

Unhappy

The black or greyish looking Grease is a moly based grease. Very expensive stuff and must be used where it is said to be used or your new CV rebuild will go bye bye
Old 06-02-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You should buy the whole kit. If you're going to be rebuilding the outboard joint, then you have to take the inboard tulip joint apart also (to get the old outboard boot off and the new outboard boot on). Since you have to take the inboard joint apart, you will want to repack it with new grease, and you may as well install a new inboard boot as well since it's off and relatively cheap to replace. And use the specified greases (which will also come in your kit.)
Old 06-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

The yellow grease goes into the inner cv joint while the black grease goes into the outer cv joint.

HTH
Old 06-04-2006, 01:02 PM

gotcha, thanks guys, i think i am gonna return the boot i bought, and take the advice and get the whole kit and do both sides.

thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cypressdog
The black or greyish looking Grease is a moly based grease. Very expensive stuff and must be used where it is said to be used or your new CV rebuild will go bye bye
The funny thing is, When I bought the kit from Toyota just the parts and the grease came in the box...no directions so then, how do you know where the grease goes? Where does it say to use it?
Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is a rare occurence to get instructions when you buy parts. Typically, if you're using OEM parts, you can just put it back together the same way it came apart. (i.e. brown grease in the inboard joint and black grease in the outboard joint). If the axle that's in there now doesn't have the right grease (i.e. it's not from Toyota), then that's when discussion forums like this come in handy.

Good luck with the rebuild. Plan roughly 4 hours to remove, rebuild, and re-install your axle if it's your first time.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

I just did the drivers side 5 weeks ago. time to do the pax side.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
It is a rare occurence to get instructions when you buy parts. Typically, if you're using OEM parts, you can just put it back together the same way it came apart. (i.e. brown grease in the inboard joint and black grease in the outboard joint). If the axle that's in there now doesn't have the right grease (i.e. it's not from Toyota), then that's when discussion forums like this come in handy.

Good luck with the rebuild. Plan roughly 4 hours to remove, rebuild, and re-install your axle if it's your first time.
Very funny yo usay that.
I went to the Toyota parts dept. at Toyota of Knoxville today and bought a boot kit. Then I asked the guy which grease goes where...he didn't know...so he went back and asked the techs.....none of them knew for sure either. He tried plugging in the part numbers to see if one would pop up with inbd grease or otbd grease of something to that effect. One guy came out and said that in one of their classes that the instructor told them but he also was iffy wich grease went into wich boot.

Very strange that even Toyota doesn't know. Sad really.