General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

bed liner question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bed liner question

ok so im seriously considering bed lining my truck being that i am super cheap i am probably going to do rustoleum bed liner
from my understanding everything cheap has horrid uv resistance would adding paint into the can be the same as "tinting" the liner
from my research the people that have used the cheap stuff have been perfectly happy with it as long as they did goood prep work and i have heard mixed reviews on all the big name brand liners saying that some work great and some feel like the company that did it skipped on some of the prep work
would adding color to the liner keep it from chalking and fading or would i have to paint over it. i would really like to just add the color that way if it got scratched you wouldnt be able to tell where as if you painted over it it would just scratch the paint off and show the black. does this make sense.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM

Most diy boxlienrs that I've heard of are not tintable. Adding red to black box liner will be a waste of red paint as it will still be black.

We spray one in our shop called "u pol raptor liner" they make a black version, and a tintable version. Its nothing special in the way of boxliner but better than any roll on. We buy it in kits. As long as you have an air compressor to spray it with your set.

I think painting over what ever you choose to use would be the best option. We do that with our hot spray boxliner. I have yet to see any of it chip.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Monstaliner is tintable but it's more expensive than rust oleum.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM

totally forgot i started this thread
i did some test on some small sheets of metal and i think i just going to over it in black because if i paint it a certain color and it scratches all the scratches are going to show through black i like the finish of the black hammered paint over the rustoleum liner