General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

All tires slowly leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All tires slowly leak

So our shop T100 with aluminum rims had slow leaks on all four tires. We've lived with it since this summer, but the clutch in another truck died, so I needed to make this one reliable. The tire place that does our service claims that moisture caused the beads to leak and that this is real common in winter. I feel like they just charged me $80 to put new valve stems in (which is what I suspected) on tires that they installed this past spring.

The recap; new tires in spring, started leaking in summer, claimed moisture causing the beads to leak this winter.

What really caused the tires to leak? I've never heard of this. Any recommendations for prevention? Our shop compressor has a moisture trap on it and the rims do not have corrosion that I can see.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aluminum rims are known to leak at the bead, pull them off the rim and take a wire brush to the rim and that should fix it. Chromed aluminum rims are worse, it's almost impossible to remove the corrosion once it gets under the chrome.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also have them put bead sealer around the bead. it works well. and.. 80 bucks to put new valve stems in??? theyre only 3.99 a piece!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Likely corrosion where the tire machine scratches the rim. Aluminum rims are clear anodized to prevent bare metal oxidation until goober scratches them during the install process. That is also where dirty and salty water is captured. Other than the valve stem giving you problems, the rims/tires should be match marked and removed. I would then scotchbrite pad clean the rims at the mounting bead, seal them with a rim/bead sealer and the problem should disappear unless the rims are porous. Most tire shops will dunk the inflated tires in a vat to see where they are leaking before disassembly. That makes logical sense to me.

My $0.02
Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Check the valve stems for leaks, soapy water works. You can also check the beads that way, lay the tire flat and fill the bead area with soapy water and look for bubbles. Could be porous aluminum in the wheel itself. I once had some brand new alloy wheels that had that problem. At the suggestion of the tire place, put in some tire sealant into the leaking one, sloshed it around and never had another leak.

When I got some new alloy wheels for my Toyota, I took the wheels, cleaned the insides, scuffed them up a little with a pad and then put on 2-3 coats of clear polyurethane around the inside surface. Mounted tires up and no leaks at all.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Check the valve stems for leaks, soapy water works.
that's the first thing i'd do, but a $3 Tire Valve Stem Recore Tool, tighten up all the cores. the Snap-On one i have costed me $11, i was amazed that the first time i used it to check my tire's cores, all of them were loose. 8 weeks later, 2 of them were loose(just a bit), again.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
go to discount tire (or america's tire if thats what it is there)...all flat repairs are free and no you don't have to have bought anything from them.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:41 PM

Hi im curious to know if any of you know the average amount of air pressure psi . on average that every tire and rim setup loses a month from contracting and expanding do to heating and cooling down of the air molecules in a tire? And also the reason most tire places are trying to push nitrogen instead of air?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM

There's about a 3psi change for every 10 degree change (+ or -) in the outside temperature (apparently). I'd say check it about once a month and you'll be good. The nitrogen verse air thing is just stupid in my opinion...no idea why.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by traben27
go to discount tire (or america's tire if thats what it is there)...all flat repairs are free and no you don't have to have bought anything from them.
no discount tire is not free you have to purchase road hazard with your purchase of tire just like you have to purchase lifetime rotate and balance and if you want them balanced.And even then these places do it only if they are franchised owned or participate. I would know i worked at firestone,discounttire, mcgraw tire and bell tire.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Uh yeah...I currently work at DTC (and have for over a year). Flat repairs are free for everyone. If it can't be repaired though (hole in sidewall/shoulder, run flat, etc) then the spare's put on or you can buy one. If you bought the tire from DTC and have the road hazard, then the tires replaced for free. Bottom line, flat repairs are free for anyone and everyone.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by traben27
There's about a 3psi change for every 10 degree change (+ or -) in the outside temperature (apparently). I'd say check it about once a month and you'll be good. The nitrogen verse air thing is just stupid in my opinion...no idea why.
That is correct 2 to 3 pounds on average a month . Do to air molecules are smaller than nitrogen so when they heat up and and cool down you lose air pressue. So because nitrogen is cold and it stay's cooler the expanding and contracting are less prevelant and the molecules are larger so it does dissipate as fast. meaning less pressure loss.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM

oohps, meant doesn't
Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by travis0077
That is correct 2 to 3 pounds on average a month . Do to air molecules are smaller than nitrogen so when they heat up and and cool down you lose air pressue. So because nitrogen is cold and it stay's cooler the expanding and contracting are less prevelant and the molecules are larger so it does dissipate as fast. meaning less pressure loss.
While that may be true, air is almost 80% nitrogen in the first place, so the dissipation rate is really negligible. A lot of places charge for the nitrogen as well, which is even more ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM

I agree but going by the test and studies crammed down my troat for the past 6yrs. Also studies from other sources that have no bearing or interest at stake. and nhtsb studies i would have to concur. And there is a difference between compressed air and nitrogen or else people would use air compressors on there race cars instead of nos tanks and refills at 40.00 dollars a pop.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Nos is nitrous oxide, not nitrogen, they're a lot different.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM

so im told it has about 80 percent nitrogen in it. don't know how reliable that source is though.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM

Oh and by the way discount tire company are not all franchised owned and also in grandrapids, Mi they sell nitrogen .
Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by travis0077
Hi im curious to know if any of you know the average amount of air pressure psi . on average that every tire and rim setup loses a month from contracting and expanding do to heating and cooling down of the air molecules in a tire? And also the reason most tire places are trying to push nitrogen instead of air?
Tires don't loose pressure because of heating and cooling, they loose pressure because the rubber is slightly porous. Gas molecules are very, very small and can pass through the tire. I've noticed the tires on my 4Runner loose pressure a lot slower than the ones on my wifes car, probably because of the thicker rubber. Oxygen is slightly smaller than nitrogen so it diffuses quicker.