General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

4Runner Glove Box Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner Glove Box Problem

I have a 2005 4Runner and just mounted a XM Satellite Radio. I have to get some wires between the glove box and the dash, the place where piece 1 and piece 2 meet. All I need to do is loosen the glove box area so I can slide the wires tight against the brackett. Looks simple but I can't find the correct screws. The 2 screws, you can see one in the picture doesn't loosen the whole thing there are more I am sure. Anyone know how to do this?
I would also like to know how to remove the door too.

Please see some pictures (3) to help explain the problem.

http://sale.smariani.com/

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Would love to help and hopefully someone posts up; however, my take is that there are not a ton of 4th gens on this board. I maybe wrong but this is what I've gathered in the few months I've been on this board.

On the other hand, there are two sites that have a ton of 4th gens: tr4.org and toyota120.com. If you don't get a response or you're in a hurry, these sites may have answers for you. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sjm1027
The 2 screws, you can see one in the picture doesn't loosen the whole thing there are more I am sure. Anyone know how to do this?
I would also like to know how to remove the door too.

Please see some pictures (3) to help explain the problem.

http://sale.smariani.com/
On the 3rd gens, the door is held on by two phillips screws that are on the lower lip of the dash, under the door. Check there to see if the design of the 4th gens is similar.

Then, to get the glove box out, there are 3 10mm bolts (you can see one of them in your pics). One left, one right, and one recessed higher in the center. Again, check to see if yours is similar.

Be careful pulling the glove box out. On a 3rd gen, you'll find a yellow plug that you don't want to disconnect - it's for the air bags and they've been known to be touch about people messing with the electrical.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:14 AM

If I understand what you are attempting to do, you don't need to drop the glove box. Based upon your pictures, you are simply attempting to tuck those wires up behind the black air filter cover much like the other wires are currently done, correct ?

If so, that is the cover for the cabin air filter (which sits behind it). It will come out with 4 screws - which it sounds like you found 2. The other two are located back underneath the lip for the filter cover. In your 3rd photo, if you got down lower and used a flashlight, you'd see one of the other screws tucked back in above the glove box. The other screw will occupy a similar area on the other side of the glove box. These two screws will look just like the other two you already found.

Now if you still don't have enough room to slide those wires back in there, you will need to give the cover a good tug out towards you to remove it. As you'll see, it's held in there by a couple clips that release when you give it a tug.

Hopefully this explanation will work. If not, let me know and I'll go take a couple pix for ya !

Steve