General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

2wd wheel adapters

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd wheel adapters

I'm talking to wheeladapter.com about making some custom adapters for the 2wd trucks. As most of the 2wd owners know, it is very hard to find wheels for the older 2wd trucks, hubcentric that is. I have AR NASCAR style wheels on mine right now, they are not hubcentic. In fact the wheels' hub bore is huge so they can fit a variety of vehicles. At highway speed, there is an inherent vibration- I have all new OEM Toyota brakes front and rear and the tires just balanced, again. So, since I have some leftover BMW e46 3 series wheels (17") setting around, I thought I would see how they looked on the old Toy. Perfect! The BMW uses a 5 on 120mm lug spacing and a 72.56mm center bore. The Toyota uses a 5 on 114.3mm lug spacing, and about 68mm center bore. I have to scare up some calipers soon to take accurate measurements for wheeladapter.com to machine out a 1" thick set for me. By the look of it, it should work great without any clearance issue. Why BMW wheels? Having owned multiple BMW's over the years, I've found them to have a great standard for sizing and an almost endless array of stock and aftermarket wheels available. BBS, HRE, Fiske, Kinesis, etc. What works out even better, is that the BMW line-up of cars over the years uses the same lug pattern and hub bore with few exceptions. (The 1997-2003 e39 5 series being one, and the pre 1992 3 series non-///M cars being another.) So if you want a different offset, pick a 7 or 5 series fit wheel, or the 8 series. Also, BMW cars are amongst the pickiest of cars when it comes to being hubcentric and wheel/tire balance. So this means OEM BMW wheels will run smooth as silk on the truck with the hubcentric adapters. You could have a set made to employ the Tacoma X-Runner wheels, but you will limit what is available to you, since most of the aftermarket wheels for the 2wd Tacomas will require hubcentric rings, and are usually Chinese made junk. Remember world history- Japanese vehicle with Chinese parts = unhappy vehicle. Japanese vehicle with German and/or Italian parts = a wicked alliance (axis?) Seriously, it will be a couple of weeks before I get these things made. If anyone takes interest in this project, let me know. My truck is a 1985 base model, so my guess is the hubs are the same on the 1984-1988 2wd trucks except the 1 ton models. Perhaps the hubs are the same over a larger year base, I know the Tacoma 2wd wheels have a slightly smaller hub diameter, and the hub does not stick out as far (dust cap and what not). So these would be a smidge too bored out for the Tacoma. Anyway...