Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Who makes body mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes body mounts?

Hi - anyone know a source to get a new/used body mount? My driver's rear (reg cab, '93 4x4) is about done. It's disappearing from the frame, but it looks like behind it is ok to weld a new one in. No apparent damage body-wise, just that the road salt ate the mount.
If there's no easy source, I could probably get a buddy to make me one, just don't want to bug people too much!
Thx!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

You should be able to get new ones from your dealer. Although some parts people can be to lazy to look these things up.

All the parts are tied to the VIN so you need it for them to look it up unlees they are real good and already know the numbers

If possible go in person make friends get to know the people in the service and parts department .

Although up there you could be 50 miles away from a dealer
Old 11-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, but have you seen the price on that bad boy?

51706B BRACKET SUB-ASSY, CAB MOUNTING, NO.3 LH

[Part# 5170635020]
Toyota
Price:$85.68
List Price:$85.68
Your Price:$61.81
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempa...e=&catalogid=1

I'd be hitting up a junkyard or two first to see if they have any trashed frames you can cut one off of. I bet I could walk away with one for ~$20 easy...if I could find one in a yard somewhere...worth tryin' though.

VIN SHMIN...no needs it..

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-19-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
We make some for the '96 4Runners (they are missing 2 mounts from the factory)
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...yMountBrackets

They are likely similar to the pickup brackets. Designed with the center of the body mount bolt 3.5" out from the frame. Pictured above with 1" body lift blocks, but can be had with 0" - 3" lift.

Can make them for other frame-bolt offsets as well. They can both be bolted to or welded to the frame for easy installation.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 11-20-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM

I'll be damned, I woulda never thunk it.

So I just measured mine out of curiosity(and since my frame's still body-less at the moment). The one(s) in question is ~2 5/8" from the outside of the frame rail to the center of the bolt hole. Those could still be modified to work pretty easily though I'd imagine(he did mention having a welder).

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-19-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Wink

Thing is Toyota vehicles in yards in the Northeast USA are pretty much shot and newer trucks that are hit are most often bought back and fixed or stripped for parts and scrapped.

I know I can`t make those brackets for that price. If I was to gear up to make them with fixtures etc it would be possible
Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
$10 worth of 1/4" steel and an hour or two and you could have a new body mount.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 AM

Thanks for the help, guys!

That's kind of how I'm leaning Scuba....DIY. Here's the deal: I don't have a welder, nor have I welded other than spot welding in HS....I can solder pipe pretty well, I own a maintenance company so's I'm handy, and my next purchase is going to be :drumroll: a MIG welder. I'm still shopping around - I know this L Rear mount is going to cause me trouble down the road (how many miles down that road, who knows? Not too many, I'm afraid)....if I bought 2 mounts (since you know the other side probably needs it...then the fronts.....blah) I would be approaching the cost of a welder, anyway....and I can use it for work for MANY things....

I guess the real question is - if you can't get them cheap ($60 ea is a bit much, and no boneyard will have them here!) is throwing a couple of them together a big deal for a newbie welder? I'm one of those guys that jumps onto a thing, does it for a few days, and gets good at it fast, so at least attitude-wise I don't think it oughtta be that big a deal. Like anything, it's about making your experience fit your knowledge....

What I see is that you have to get the old bolt out of what's left, gently lift that corner 1/4 or 1/2" with a jack...grind off the remnants to bare steel with a grinder, line up and clamp on what you've made, weld it on, bolt her up, and you should be good to go, no? Gotta mess around at the parts store and find a bushing to go between cab and mount too, right? "Fancy" is not an important word to me, ha ha! "Fast" and "solid" are....

Thanks for any tips!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 AM

OK - between this morning and now, the thing let go. The floor is solid - it's the mount itself that is junk. Looks like it's time to start grinding....and for the sake of time, maybe just have Toyota ship the darn mount and get someone to weld it in...toyota IS like an hour away. Oh well...it was a nice thought, but you can't go without a ride for too long!!

Question - is it safe to use the truck for very short hops if I were to get a block of wood between cab and frame, or will the slight movement cause damage to the other mounts??
Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by GuitarMike
Question - is it safe to use the truck for very short hops if I were to get a block of wood between cab and frame, or will the slight movement cause damage to the other mounts??
Should be fine, temporarily, if you're not gonna be driving on any particularly rough roads. There's 5 other mounts to hold 'er still, and they've all got rubber bushings that'll absorb any small movements without any damage. I'd be more worried about the block of wood damaging the floor of the cab. I'd wanna use a bigger piece to distribute the load better. These cabs are pretty tough though, so it might not be that easy to mess it up. I'd probably just stick a decent sized chunk of 2x4, or whatever, under there and call it good for the moment.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-20-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks, Hippy. Yes, surprisingly, the underside of the cab is in awesome shape, not even surface rust. And the rubber bushing looks reusable on the one that popped off. Road salt REALLY eats things like that up here!

Given my 'noob' status, I'll get a replacement and do it right....front driver's mount is scaly but doesn't appear to be in danger now, so at least it's only the one right now, and the pass. side looks fine.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:34 PM

Wink

Just curious Scuba what is your hourly rate when you do this kind of work .

Mine right now is at $55.00/hr If I take time away from billable labor it not only costs me the hourly rate but the extra time to make up. As you get older you will wonder where the time goes.

Hence my statement I can not afford to make them for the Toyota price
Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM

OUCH. When I looked into getting a new mount at 1stToyota, it's not just the bracket you need....the rubber bushing "cushion" part is another $63, then you need bolts and washers, etc....like, $130, before anyone even starts up a welder! Zoiks.

Looks like it's time to find a MIG welder for less than the cost of a firstborn son, since this one job would put me 1/2 the way there, anyway! If I make this myself, think I ought to try to find a rubber bushing to fit between the mount and cab? Not really sure what I'd use....or if it even matters....
Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
We can supply the bushing and/or the mount. The official 1-piece bushing:

or the 2-piece bushings we use in our body mount brkts. (and the brkts. can be customized):

And we sell singles, partials or whole sets:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#PolyBushings
Old 11-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks, Crawler, you have a PM. Gotta decide which direction to go in....new mount, or new welder :o)
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Mount and bushing arrived today - I hafta say, GREAT looking work, 4Crawler - very clean. It got here fast, and the price absolutely can't be beat! I'm really looking forward to installing this baby and not having to worry anymore that my cab is going to tip over, he he. Thanks!