Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

What do you guys do for timing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys do for timing?

'86 22RE, freshly rebuilt, has EngineBLDR Pro head and RV camshaft (sorry, don't know specifics)

The truck feels a little gutless. I've got it timed at 5* like I'm supposed to.

Just wondering how far some of you guys are running. I'm not trying to race it or anything, just 5* feels a little conservative to me...
Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I have timed these engines to 12* before with no issues, so it really depends on what you are comfortable with. Check your cam timing first, make sure you got the match marks and links lined up correctly. Dizzy timing isn't going to add much noticable power to your little engine.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm not expecting big power gains. But this thing is so gutless that every bit helps. It does pick up at about 3k rpms though. Just that number "5 degrees" poped out in my head as conservitive. I wanted to make sure

If I had to guess, I'd honestly say I'm getting no more than 75-80 hp out of it. It feels like it's just barely above "struggle" anytime I try to go.

checked the chain already, and I'm going to re-do the valve clearance. I have it set at factory specs, and I just got a email back from Ted at EngineBLDR that says his specs for my cam are .007"-.009" and I'm at .012" so hopefully I'll pick up some power there.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Handegard
Yeah, I'm not expecting big power gains. But this thing is so gutless that every bit helps. It does pick up at about 3k rpms though. Just that number "5 degrees" poped out in my head as conservitive. I wanted to make sure

If I had to guess, I'd honestly say I'm getting no more than 75-80 hp out of it. It feels like it's just barely above "struggle" anytime I try to go.

checked the chain already, and I'm going to re-do the valve clearance. I have it set at factory specs, and I just got a email back from Ted at EngineBLDR that says his specs for my cam are .007"-.009" and I'm at .012" so hopefully I'll pick up some power there.
Are you using the timing jumper
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector
and does the base timing change when that jumper is installed? If not, check your TPS:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...roubleshooting

Or use 12 BTDC as the stock timing (i.e. 5 w/ jumper = 12 w/o jumper).