Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Timing Chain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would highly recommend taking the head to a local machine shop and having it shaved flat again. I know everyone says but I didnt over-heat it, neither did I but mine was out 20 thou!! I bought the truck as a beater with a blown head gasket. Propped the head up enough to scrape it clean and slap a new gasket in. It wasnt 4 months and it blew again. Puffing white smoke like crazy.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by mudshuvelz
I would highly recommend taking the head to a local machine shop and having it shaved flat again. I know everyone says but I didnt over-heat it, neither did I but mine was out 20 thou!! I bought the truck as a beater with a blown head gasket. Propped the head up enough to scrape it clean and slap a new gasket in. It wasnt 4 months and it blew again. Puffing white smoke like crazy.
I had the head shaved. I am getting ready to put it back together and trying to decide if an adjustable timing gear is a good investment. Does anyone have experience with using shaved head (.027 - .030 ) without an adjustable timing gear? Does this advance the timing too much and will an adjustable timing gear be necessary to get the timing adjustment back at the distributor?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by netsomnia
I had the head shaved. I am getting ready to put it back together and trying to decide if an adjustable timing gear is a good investment. Does anyone have experience with using shaved head (.027 - .030 ) without an adjustable timing gear? Does this advance the timing too much and will an adjustable timing gear be necessary to get the timing adjustment back at the distributor?
I did not use an adjustable timing gear - if I was racing, mud running, or climbing, I would want one but this is a street vehicle and the timing is working fine for what we use it for (pt. A to pt. B). Thanks again for for everyone's advice and tips here. TN was pretty good but felt more at home here with a pickup.

I will be tempted to buy a 22RE 4x4 for play next. It's all YOUR fault.