Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

timing belt changed. starts but wont drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt changed. starts but wont drive?

hello. my timing belt was just changed in my 1990 3vze.

it started like a charm and sounds good. but i put it in gear give it gas and it learches to the left but doesnt move.

im thinking maybe it's the park brake is stuck due too yanking on it really hard when trying to get the crankshaft bolt off. when the park brake is switched of in the truck the cable has slack under the truck though.

but what i am really asking is. did i do somthing obviously wrong while changeing this belt. or should i start getting into this park brake bussiness??
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The parking brake affects the rear wheels. When you say lurches to the left....what lurches...the front end? How did pulling the parking brake real hard have any impact on getting the crrank bolt off? I don't think it did.

Front caliper frozen? A wheel chock still in place?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM

when trying to get the crankshaft bolt off . we put it in gear with the park brake on. hopeing it would make the engine harder to move, and the bolt easier to unbolt.

when i give it gas it is like the front drivers side leans toward the ground. and when i give it allot of gas the back left tire burns out.

so you dont think it is somthing wrong with the timing belt job? this isnt a common side affect of a timing belt gone wrong?

sorry! im posting in the newbie section for a reason. any input is greatly appreciated

the tires arnt blocked or anything. maybe i should jack it up and see if the tires turn?

Last edited by alextheander; 10-31-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if you have the power to spin a rear wheel, I'd guess the timing belt was done right. You probably have a brake stuck, jack up that side, and if the tire doesn't rotate semi-freely, there's your issue.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM

ok thankyou that will be the next step
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM

i jacked it up and all the wheels turn except for the back passanger. it wiggles a little so its not siezed. i think its the park brake. I'm finding my haynes manual a little vague. does anyone know how i can disengage this thing? any good threads i may be missing?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K. You have a stuck wheel cylinder, or an over-adjusted brake adjuster. Should be able to remove a little square rubber plug on backing plate, and back of the adjuster wheel with a screwdriver or two. The Haynes manual isn't the best for explanations, got an old fart familiar with drum brakes around?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check to see if you can move the park brake arm at the drum. The one the cable connects to. If you can move that towards center of vehicle, it may be corroded inside. If that arm is tight, you need to free it, away from vehicle center, and maybe that will free it up. The oval removable plug will get you access to the adjuster mechanism, but it generally will only allow the adjuster to turn in one direction, which will tighten the arm, it spreads it out. This is the self adjusting mechanism when using the park brake. If you pry hard enough you can get the wheel to go the opposite way, but plan on replacing the lever that rides on the adjuster cog. If you get it all apart, lube up brake shoe contact points on the backing plate with brake lube/grease, and use anti-seize on the threads and male/female portion of the adjuster arm.