Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Suspension Lift for 98 SR5 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Lift for 98 SR5 4Runner

Wanting to lift my 98 SR5 4Runner 2"-3" and don't know exactly what that will entail. I have read a little on some ToyTec lifts as well as a OME lifts.

I like this lift but don't know if i'm going to need to worry about diff drop, brakes and a panhard drop bracket.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

As usual I'd like to do it at as low a cost as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Go with the full OME kit front and rear with shocks. What will the lift be for? Looks? Better ground clearance offroad? Weight? Bigger tires?
Are you adding heavier armor in the future (bumpers/sliders/winch)?
Buy cheap = buy twice.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

www.sonoransteel.com
Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM

what he said ^^^^

sonoransteel.com
Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM

The lift is mostly for looks, I may add bumpers eventually, but right now it is just a camping rig.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Deceptiwave
Go with the full OME kit front and rear with shocks. What will the lift be for? Looks? Better ground clearance offroad? Weight? Bigger tires?
Are you adding heavier armor in the future (bumpers/sliders/winch)?
Buy cheap = buy twice.
This is by far the best advice you will ever receive on lifts.

I could not have said it better myself.

Do it right the first time; I personally ran a full OME lift on my '99 and it was by far my favorite rig I've owned yet and rode just as smooth as my '07 Tacoma.

I'd go with the guys at Toyota of Dallas (trdparts4u.com) - they have great prices, ship fast and will support whatever they sell you for as long as you need it.

Fink
Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sonoransteel kits are the best and the most refined, but they're also the most expensive. He's asking for the most bang for his buck so the OME wins in that catagory and will still give you great off road ability. Since the OP said it's for looks, a 2.5" Daystar spacer kit or even a 2" body lift is probably the best choice. I definitely agree with Deceptiwave on the buy cheap = buy twice though. Once you lift it, you'll want to off road more and then you'll hate the cheap lift you got.

You don't have to get the panhard drop/adjustable panhard bar or the extended brake lines with the OME, Daystar, or any other <3" suspension lift. It wouldn't hurt, but these items aren't mandatory with the 2-3" lifts, they're more important if you get LC coils which are like 3.5-5" of lift. I do recomend the diff drop with any suspension lift though. I didn't have one and ruined my CVs quickly after my first lift. Got a diff drop, new CVs and they are good now.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM

LC Coils

Originally Posted by brian2sun
You don't have to get the panhard drop/adjustable panhard bar or the extended brake lines with the OME, Daystar, or any other <3" suspension lift. It wouldn't hurt, but these items aren't mandatory with the 2-3" lifts, they're more important if you get LC coils which are like 3.5-5" of lift. I do recomend the diff drop with any suspension lift though. I didn't have one and ruined my CVs quickly after my first lift. Got a diff drop, new CVs and they are good now.
I have been doing a little bit of research on the LC coil swap (if that's the correct term) are the coils generally new OEM coils, or are they used? Would anyone recommend this option?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink

Do it right the first time; I personally ran a full OME lift on my '99 and it was by far my favorite rig I've owned yet and rode just as smooth as my '07 Tacoma.

Fink
When you say a full OME lift, what does that mean? New coils, shocks, diff and panhard?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 PM

4 shocks, 4 coils: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Diff drop is recommended, but doesn't come with. You don't need an adjustable panhard bar/panhard drop brackets for this lift.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 PM

Just keep in mind that the OME setup is geared toward a truck being loaded down with the weight of extra equipment.
Meaning, unloaded and driving down the road, you will "feel" the bumps in the road. I have the 890s in the rear of mine and unloaded it "rebounds" a little over bumps. But loaded for a camping trip or with a trailer in tow, those coils work amazing.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Deceptiwave
Just keep in mind that the OME setup is geared toward a truck being loaded down with the weight of extra equipment.
Meaning, unloaded and driving down the road, you will "feel" the bumps in the road. I have the 890s in the rear of mine and unloaded it "rebounds" a little over bumps. But loaded for a camping trip or with a trailer in tow, those coils work amazing.
I agree, even the OME light and medium duty coils are still on the stiff side for on road. However, OME is off road suspension first and foremost. I have OME heavies and while I do feel the bumps in the road (especially when I'm not weighed down), when I go off road and air down to 10-15 psi, it's absolutely perfect IMO.

Last edited by brian2sun; 06-30-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Yeah, looking back now, I kinda wish I had done the OME up front too. Right now,
Its like driving two trucks over bumps - cushy in the front, rough out back. But, I love the fact that I can load down my truck with 400 pounds of bricks and it wont even squat an inch.
I am thinking about putting in another OME trim packer on each side to get a 1/2" rake back to front.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:27 PM

I have a rear tire-carrier bumper on the way so once that's on, I'll probably throw in a couple trim packers too if it goes down with the extra weight.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:29 AM

At this point my lift is 75% cosmetic (to allow 285's) and 25% for off-road capabilities and I don't ever tow anything, the only thing I use my hitch for is my bike rack. I have looked at the ToyTec kit that sells for $299. Here is the picture from ToyTec. It's the 3" spacer lift with rear OME 890/891 coils. I'd really like to get this one. Am I going to need any special tools for the install though?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 AM

And what would anyone recommend? 890's or 891's?

Is this a good move?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM

for what you want to do, go 890s and the OME comfort shocks. the spacers are OK temporary lift wise, but in 6 months you will want to change out the spacers for coils and shocks.
just get the OME light duty kit. Also, I recommend the diff drop spacers.
I would spend the extra money and have the front components assembled for you from toytec.
Rear end is easy, just hose every bolt and nut down with PB blaster about a week before you start disassembly, then the night before do it again.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM

This is what I have:
Complete OME lift from toytec
I have the 883 (front) and 891 (rear). Also have the diff drop spacers and panhard bar drop bracket.
This is by far the best thing I have done with my 4runner. Can't go wrong with this setup.

For you I would recommend the 881 (top spacer is up to you, but order pre-assembled) with the 890's in the rear.
And I highly recommend the diff drop spacers and panhard drop bracket.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:56 PM

I doubt he will need the panhard drop bracket or an extended/adjustable bar. He says we wont wheel it much, and honestly unless you have 4" of lift in the back, the rear axle wont travel much . I have the SS adjustable and after the 890s and trim packers, its only 1/8" longer than the stock one.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 PM

True, if you won't wheel much, the diff drop and panhard bracket are not needed. But when the day comes that you decide to take a step off the pavement, you will be glad you have them.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lift for 98 SR5 4Runner