Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Suspension Kits 101: I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Kits 101: I have some questions.

Through searching a bit on the forums and linked to other websites I am just astounded by how much aftermarket following the 2nd generation and 3rd generation 4runners have!

Needless to say I am a bit perplexed by which suspension system would work best.

1. I want a body lift (later down the road).
2. My 4runner has 175K miles, its probably time for new shocks wouldnt you say? Thus my reasoning for a whole new set up.

3. It looks as though I would spend around $2000 for a good system and new wheels/tires combo. Would this be accurate?

4. As far as different brands of systems, what additional items would I possibly need to add to the truck that a normal 4" lift kit (suspension lift not body yet) would not come with?

Just for future reference, I am coming out of the sports car realm. I have alot of knowledge about motor tuning, building, suspension set up and so fourth, but this is my FIRST venture into the realm of 4x4 vehicles.

I know alot of information that I have aquired will trickle into the off road truck scene, but I dont know everything so any bit of information that you guys can give me would be excellent.

Of course I will continue to use the ever-so-helpful search tool at the top left, and Google.com of course But if you guys can point me in the right direction that would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Jonathan Mann
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 AM

edit: misread it.

Last edited by KyleT; 09-13-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Congratulations! Welcome to the "new world" I also am relatively new here from the sports car tuner realm!! nice to see someone else do it.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it would be helpful if you posted what year 4runner you have.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
it would be helpful if you posted what year 4runner you have.
I thought you would know! You mean you guys are not mind readers here?

Its a 1991 LOL

1991 SR5 4x4 V6 5 speed.

Last edited by Simann; 09-13-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
youre doing a 4" suspension lift then a body lift? what size tires are you trying to run? The runner looks real clean
Old 09-13-2006, 01:56 PM

Ditto on the nice runner. It doesn't even look like its butt is sagging! Amazing...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Nope its all square. I am guessing the ones running around town with "Saggy Butt Syndrome", their suspension is on its last leg?

But yes, first I want a 4" suspension lift. After that and some misc other add ons I would like to do a 2-3" body lift.

I am running 31" tires already on the stock 15's which looks pretty good, but does nothing without having more suspension travel and taller ride height.

I saw some plastic fender flares from Le'Bra for $350! Is that too much or is that about the right price for plastic flares? Any brands cheaper than that?

And I think I can make my own skid plate for less than $150 out of 1/4 Aluminum or Stainless Steel. That would be pretty trick.

I already modified the exhaust to exit right before the rear diff. and angled it down. The stock made the rear look kind of funky. Now with no tip sticking out the back it seems pretty "clean" LOL

Anywho, I just got my sub-woofer installed today with the new amp. I FINALLY have bass! I put in a new head unit and 4 new speakers when I first got the truck. And no, I do not listen to Rap.
I was missing the bass from tuba's and french horns in my Chakovski CD

-Jonathan
Old 09-13-2006, 05:38 PM

that much lift and the tires are gunna look tiny imo. what size do you want to run unltimately? personally i'd just skip the body lift unless youre trying to fit 35's or something.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
that much lift and the tires are gunna look tiny imo. what size do you want to run unltimately? personally i'd just skip the body lift unless youre trying to fit 35's or something.
Ageed. You could do the suspension lift, see how it looks and then go with the body lift and bigger tires as cash flow allows. You might like the truck with just the suspension lift and just leave it at 4". A 4" lift should clear 33's. "But to each his own"
Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 PM

Are you going to actually 'wheel your truck or is it just going to be for taller height? If you are going to 'wheel it, I would suggest that you dont lift it and just 'wheel with the stock suspension....manufacturers put a lot of money into designing and testing 4WDs, you would be surprised what they can actually do...believe me. You already have some nice A/T's. Drive with those for a while. Get a feel for the suspension. Add some new shocks if you think you need to, maybe OME or Rancho, then just drive. You may find that you dont need the extra height and can save your money for something else (3.4 swap?? )

I wouldnt recomend a BL if I was you. They usually cause more problems than they fix (bumper relocation...which means less crash protection, ETC)

Nice truck by the way!!!!

This is just my opinion...
Old 09-13-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
I wouldnt recomend a BL if I was you. They usually cause more problems than they fix (bumper relocation...which means less crash protection, ETC)
BL's do ride nicer. Like someone else said it depends on what you want to do with the unit.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys!

Wow, today has been pretty crazy. Selling my Toyota Supra and all. I think I may have a guy coming tommorow from GA to look at it. As soon as it sells I can start on the 4runner etc.

Body lifts are purely cosmetic to me. I will be "wheeling" the truck around if I understand your meaning correctly. I have plenty of wide open spaces and my grandparents 200 acre farm not far from me to have fun on.

Lets face it;

1.I need new suspension anyways.
2.Cosmetics always have a playing part in modding your vehicle.
3. I will do the suspension lift first and then mod accordingly. Seems like the right way to exercise the upgrade. I have personally never seen a 4runner in my town with a 4" lift yet. It might be taller than I expect!

Either way, I'm 6'2. I want to CLIMB into the truck....

-Jonathan Mann
Old 09-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have several 2nd gen 4Runner "mods" available. Website is in my signature.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Simann
Thanks for the input guys!

Wow, today has been pretty crazy. Selling my Toyota Supra and all. I think I may have a guy coming tommorow from GA to look at it. As soon as it sells I can start on the 4runner etc.

Body lifts are purely cosmetic to me. I will be "wheeling" the truck around if I understand your meaning correctly. I have plenty of wide open spaces and my grandparents 200 acre farm not far from me to have fun on.

Lets face it;

1.I need new suspension anyways.
2.Cosmetics always have a playing part in modding your vehicle.
3. I will do the suspension lift first and then mod accordingly. Seems like the right way to exercise the upgrade. I have personally never seen a 4runner in my town with a 4" lift yet. It might be taller than I expect!

Either way, I'm 6'2. I want to CLIMB into the truck....

-Jonathan Mann

Im 6'1" and I have to "climb" into my truck, my girlfriend however (5'2") has to get a running start to get in without my help lol . 33's should fit with minor rubbing with no lift (if i remember correctly a number of people have stated this). 4" suspension lift will make you feel tall. Im only 1.5" above stock suspension height and a couple inches with the tires, and I already look down on a ton of stock stuff like jeep cherokees.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I have several 2nd gen 4Runner "mods" available. Website is in my signature.

Nice endlinks there!

As far as your rear differential drop down spacers go, honestly what would i need those for?

MMA_Alex,

I would not doubt 33's would rub on stock suspension and wheels. But it would "clear" LOL

Either way I am sure I will have a nice documentary on my "build UP" of my 4runner sometime soon on here. It just balances on how soon I get the Supra sold.

-Jonathan
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Those are differential drop spacers for the FRONT diff.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:00 PM

I don't doubt 33" would fit stock wheels and suspesion, either. I do have some slight rubbing in the front with a 3" BL while turning down a sharp incline. It might be more to do with the width (12.50's) than the height. I guess there may be a slight difference between individual rigs.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 PM

they were the thinner ones, I forget the width... 10.5 maybe? either way my point was that theres no reason to put that much lift on it
Old 09-14-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
they were the thinner ones, I forget the width... 10.5 maybe? either way my point was that theres no reason to put that much lift on it
see your point

Quick Reply: Suspension Kits 101: I have some questions.