Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Stock starter relay to painless Hotshot

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock starter relay to painless Hotshot

Ok guys, mechanically I can follow directions and do anything with a set of instructions. Computer wise I repair networks and computers for a living. But, when it comes to electrical components I am a little worried and somewhat scared. I can comprehend relays and wiring etc, but just need a little guidance and reassurance. I just want to make sure my mind is on the right track before I go and order the relay and start putting it in.

The starter on the truck has been replaced several times, new battery cables, new battery, new everything except ignition switch and starter relay. I have read a bunch of people using the Hot shot say it fixed all the intermitten click problems. My truck will crank fine several times and then suddenly, just click. Always different, sometimes doesn't crank after being run, sometimes doesn't crank when cold. So down to the fun stuff.

In the picture the silver box should be the starter relay, correct? I am wanting to bypass the stock starter relay and instead wire in a Painless Hot Shot relay. Not the fancy bump switch one but just the standard relay. The stock relay has three wires, a thicker gauge black with red stripe, a red, and a yellow. Anyone with the diagrams know which one is the ignition switch?

I will need to connect the ignition switch wire to the small gauge purple painless wire, then the large gauge red painless to the battery post on the starter, and the large gauge purple wire to solenoid on the starter. If I understand the directions correctly.

Will this work? I am going to be driving the 4Runner on a dailey basis while I finish up my curreny degree and start on another and have to be able to get to work on time... unfortunately lol. Everything else on her is in good working order and its just this one problem holding her back from being a very dependable vehicle.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have no factory starter relay, but connected my Painless kit per the directions. The small control wire for relay came off the small starter solenoid wire and the large power connection came off the starter power connection or any other hot 12V source like the battery:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions

To make it easy to install, I cut the small solenoid wire and put on a male and female spade lug connector so I could plug it back together if needed. Then I added mating spade lugs to the Hot Shot relay control wire and then simply unplug the stock wire and plug in the Hot Shot relay wires.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:57 PM

Maybe I am overthinking things. But it might help if I listed the truck info.

1988 4Runner 6cyc auto trans. Did this year even come with a starter relay?

Edit: my worry was that if this is a starter relay, would the ignition switch still not have to turn that relay on before turning on the hot shot relay. If it was a stock relay switch problem then it could cause issues with the hot shot relay. Or again, am I just overthinking it?

Last edited by Screamsalvation; 05-07-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Screamsalvation
Maybe I am overthinking things. But it might help if I listed the truck info.

1988 4Runner 6cyc auto trans. Did this year even come with a starter relay?

Edit: my worry was that if this is a starter relay, would the ignition switch still not have to turn that relay on before turning on the hot shot relay. If it was a stock relay switch problem then it could cause issues with the hot shot relay. Or again, am I just overthinking it?
Probably does have one. Problem with the stock setup, as noted on my web page, is that the factory wiring still runs power for the starter solenoid through the poor old ignition switch even with the relay in there. The problem usually is that the voltage drop though the ignition switch, with the ~20 amp starter solenoid current is too high to make the starter solenoid work properly. Read the information on the web page I posted earlier for the full details and a wiring diagram. By adding the Painless relay at the end of that circuit and having it switch direct battery power to the starter solenoid, you are taking that 20 amp load off the ignition switch and factory starter relay as they now only have to switch about 0.1 amps to turn the Painless relay on.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM

I see, sorry to trouble you so much 4Crawler. I've read your site and I didn't know if the same applied to vehicles with a starter relay as you stated yours did not have a starter relay. I have ordered a kit and will just be waiting on it now.

I stumbled across your site a couple weeks ago and really loved to see the nerf bar info. I think the custom bars are awesome so don't be surprised if you get an order from me in the next month or two.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Screamsalvation
I see, sorry to trouble you so much 4Crawler. I've read your site and I didn't know if the same applied to vehicles with a starter relay as you stated yours did not have a starter relay. I have ordered a kit and will just be waiting on it now.
Really makes no difference what setup you have. Put the Hot Shot relay at the end of the stock circuit (i.e. where it connects to the starter solenoid) and that should do it. Two advantages are it is easy to get to that wire and no need to "identify" it by color or whatever, it is the only small wire hooked to the starter. And it retains all the stock interlock things like neutral start and clutch cancel which are all tied in with the factory starter relay.

On the other hand if you enjoy tearing into the factory wire harness and finding the wire that feeds the stock relay and all, go for it. I'll stick with the starter solenoid wire and keep my hands off the factory wiring as much as possible!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM

Thanks 4Crawler. I got out there and wired the hot shot in. So far so good. I ran it straight off the battery as I was having trouble getting to the connector on the starter. Can't get the passenger tire off for a better work space (guy who had the truck before admitted that the lug nuts were put on with an impact wrench) and no amount of straining and huffing that I can do with the cross bar is moving those things. Gotta take it to a friends and use the air tools.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM

where does one find this Hot Shot relay replacement?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

It is made by Painless Wiring:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions

So any Painless dealer is a good place to get one, or I think you can order from the Painless web site.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 PM

I got mine from summitracing, easy install and have not had the truck not want to start once since I put it in.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:47 AM

ordering one now from summit. it is $24.95. oem was like $130 at the dealer.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Hijack:

I have to frequently hit my starter with something to make it turn over or all I hear is the one click when I try to start it. Do you think it just needs a rebuild or does it need the Hot Shot?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Do a simple voltage check and see:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Really makes no difference what setup you have. Put the Hot Shot relay at the end of the stock circuit (i.e. where it connects to the starter solenoid) and that should do it. Two advantages are it is easy to get to that wire and no need to "identify" it by color or whatever, it is the only small wire hooked to the starter. And it retains all the stock interlock things like neutral start and clutch cancel which are all tied in with the factory starter relay.

On the other hand if you enjoy tearing into the factory wire harness and finding the wire that feeds the stock relay and all, go for it. I'll stick with the starter solenoid wire and keep my hands off the factory wiring as much as possible!
I understand what is being wrote there but the only question i have there is,
What do I do with the "small" purple wire on the hot shot plus kit?

Is it rendered usleless or do I have to connect it some where?

I have read 2 threads on this subject and understand hooking it up at the end of the circut but i havent seen where the small purple wire gets hooked. and the painless kit says it goes to the ignition or start switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my daily driver and it takes longer to start it than it does to work my shift. LOL! J/K obviously but it sure seems that way sometimes when its -10 out lol.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

The purple wires are what intercept the signal from the ignition switch and make the relay turn on and the other purple wire is what sends power to the starter solenoid to turn it on. My guess is the small wire goes to the Hot Shot relay coil and the large purple wire runs to the solenoid:
http://www.painlessperformance.com/M...nstruction.pdf

In the stock setup, the wire from the start switch goes right to the starter solenoid, with the relay kit, it goes to the relay coil (to turn it on) and then the output of the relay goes to the starter.

To make it easier to install on my '85, I used some spade lugs on the original starter solenoid wire. I cut it near the starter and put a male and female spade lug connector on the ends. This way I can jut plug them back together to test the connection and in case the relay ever fails. Then I took the two purple wires and put female and male spade lugs on them. Then to connect the relay in, just unplug the stock wire and plug the purple wires into the connectors on the original wires. This way you can't connect them incorrectly as they will only fit together one way.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 04-03-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Hot Shot wiring difficulties

I purchased the painless wiring kit. I have a 1990 Toyota 4x4 V6. I am having a very difficult time getting at the starter connections. I have the front passenger tire off and the fire wall plate is off as well. I can't reach the small solenoid connector very well. I'm afraid if I cut it I won't have adequate access to crimp on the spade connectors.

Should I unbolt and remove the starter for better access to the solenoid wire?

Can I buy these spade connectors at Radio Shack?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Radio Shack probably has them, or any auto parts or hardware store. Haven't worked on the V6, but on my 22RE, I was able to get to the wire with the starter in place. You could always just tie into the existing connector with a mating spade lug then use a new spade lug on the wire from the relay.