Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

School me on sliders

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School me on sliders

Okay, I'm sure this is a repost, so I'm sorry to all you people that get sensitive about that. But I have been trying to find something with the info I want on it and im not having any luck

So I just recently got a new rig. 86 pickup, standard cab with 6 inch lift on 33's. I have had it out once just messing around. Something I'd really like to do before i mess it up to much (cause the body of the thing is pretty straight, minus a little rust on the bed) is to get some rock sliders for it. Buttt in all honesty, I have NO CLUE what I'm doing. So I'm looking for suggestions, what brand, do i get the extra gussets (i think thats what they're called) or what? Any info would be much appriciated. Thanks

-Scott

P.s. sorry for any misspellings, i go to public school...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Allpro offroad, 4Xinnovations, Marlin crawler, Trail Gear, CBI offroad, Crawlin concepts...

Tons of companies make rock sliders. Google will turn up more names than I just listed, for sure.

Deff get the scab plates and gussets to go between the legs and the frame. It just makes them that much stronger. No reason in doing them twice

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Don't forget Stubbs welding! he's a rather unique designer, but on the pricey side.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 4xInnovations are great. I think they are the best for the price.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
definitely get the gussets and plates as suggested by Scuba. One this to consider is the Kick out towards the rear, it has kept me from doing damage on a couple of occasions:

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Don't forget Stubbs welding! he's a rather unique designer, but on the pricey side.
I had Stubb's slider on my '05 Taco...great stuff

Originally Posted by brian2sun
My 4xInnovations are great. I think they are the best for the price.
Adam makes a great product, well tested:

you can just see the slider

a little paint after that episode and they were good as new:

Last edited by dropzone; 01-29-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 AM

You mentioned you have 6" lift. One thing to consider is, if any of the lift is from body lift, you may want to specify this when you do purchas sliders. Most manufacturers will make appropriate adjustments to the sliders to account for the body lift if requested. Otherwise you will have a space between the sliders and your body.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM

ocdropzone, can i get a guestament on those sliders?

Originally Posted by meisentones
You mentioned you have 6" lift. One thing to consider is, if any of the lift is from body lift, you may want to specify this when you do purchas sliders. Most manufacturers will make appropriate adjustments to the sliders to account for the body lift if requested. Otherwise you will have a space between the sliders and your body.
And no body lift, thats yucky.

Edit: whats the difference on the HERW and DOM sliders from 4x innovations? i looked up the price after posting this, i relised what google is and took about 30 seconds of my life and found it myself haha

Last edited by Harrell111; 01-29-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another great unexpected feature of a Toyota

Plenty of room and nice flat surfaces to weld on sliders

Ideally the reason for sliders is to protect your cab when you roll on a high centered obstacle.

...And you want them strong enough to support your vehicles weight.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
tried4x2signN brought up some great points. Installation is easy to do on Toyota frames and you want them to be strong enough to support your vehicle's weight.

Most suppliers nowadays supply triangle gusseting which spreads the load greatly increasing the effective contact area at the frame rails. You'll want to install at least 2 gussets per leg in a V-configuration, like this:

\ /
O

...to add extra support to combat upward bending moment forces. If possible, I'd add a 3rd gusset positioned downwards at 6 o'clock.

I am running Marlin Crawler sliders and I can pick the entire side of my truck up from any position along the slider while still being able to open/close my doors (slider does not yield into the body). I have dropped off a ledge so hard onto my slider I got a mild whiplash! Thank goodness they are there!!

I've been using the same Marlin Crawler sliders since 2004 and my cab owes it's life to them! Seriously. I cannot Rock Crawl without them!

Dropping into off camper holes becomes less worrisome...

Works great in tandem with flat belly setups...

Regards,
BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 02-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Thats a good lookin truck mike!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Thanks She's been around the block a few times
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM

i gotta ask mike, being out of fresno, have you ran the dusy ershum (spelling) in her?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM

wow bigmike didnt know you were over here! i was just about to say, go marlin, a buddy of mine has marlin bumpers and sliders and they have saved his rig on more than one occasion.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Harrell111
i gotta ask mike, being out of fresno, have you ran the dusy ershum (spelling) in her?
Yes I have. The Dusy/Ershim trail is bar none my favorite trail I have ever wheeled. Nine lakes, multiple beautiful creek crossings and large meadows with range cattle, and a parking lot in the sky at over 10,000 foot elevation, incredible doesn't do this trail enough justice.

I've got some pictures from Dusy/Ershim scattered throughout pages 2 & 3 of my gallery thread: BigMike's pictures. Just like any other thread regarding my truck, it needs to be updated

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
wow bigmike didnt know you were over here!
I've been a member since before the dawn of time & finally decided to start contributing We also would like to start posting specials and new product releases but I want to get settled in first

BigMike
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigMike

Regards,
BigMike
Welcome to YT BigMike! What are you airing down to there?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Welcome to YT BigMike!
Thanks! BTW is there a new member check in anywhere?

Originally Posted by mt_goat
What are you airing down to there?
I like to run 3 or 4 PSI with the 37" MTRs and outer beadlocks My truck weighs around 3,500 pounds.

Regards,
BigMike
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need some welding done let me know, i'm just down in Yelm.
I would recommend welding some C shaped brackets to your frame and weld the sliders to the plates with gussets. Otherwise the welds will just tear out of the frame as it isn't very thick. Just try to shoot for as much weld area on the frame as possible.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tried4x2signN brought up some great points. Installation is easy to do on Toyota frames and you want them to be strong enough to support your vehicle's weight.

Most suppliers nowadays supply triangle gusseting which spreads the load greatly increasing the effective contact area at the frame rails. You'll want to install at least 2 gussets per leg in a V-configuration, like this:

\ /
O

...to add extra support to combat upward bending moment forces. If possible, I'd add a 3rd gusset positioned downwards at 6 o'clock.

I am running Marlin Crawler sliders and I can pick the entire side of my truck up from any position along the slider while still being able to open/close my doors (slider does not yield into the body). I have dropped off a ledge so hard onto my slider I got a mild whiplash! Thank goodness they are there!!

I've been using the same Marlin Crawler sliders since 2004 and my cab owes it's life to them! Seriously. I cannot Rock Crawl without them!

Dropping into off camper holes becomes less worrisome...

Works great in tandem with flat belly setups...

Regards,
BigMike
Oohhh i'm jealous i wanna flat belly. Sorry for the thread jack but did you buy a kit or do it yourself?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks! BTW is there a new member check in anywhere?
You know I've never been there, but there is one: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f151/ I just realized we both joined the same month in 2002. I know you're probably busy with your own site but hope to see more of ya.

P.S. I'm loving my turtle knobs

Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by algranger
Oohhh i'm jealous i wanna flat belly. Sorry for the thread jack but did you buy a kit or do it yourself?
No kidding. Isn't there some motor mount relocation and some tranny/t-case mounts to fab up to get everything up and out of the way? I know my Budbuilt plate gave me lots more clearance over the stock one but I'm still hanging down about 4 inches. That flat belly puts me in the mind of a professional female yoga person with that "I want to eat sushi off of it" little 6 pack tummy.

Is it wrong to want to eat sushi off of a person? Or for that matter off of the belly of a Toyota??

Quick Reply: School me on sliders