Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Open Differential or Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Differential or Not

new to this site and toyota's in general. i've owned a 95 f150 and an 86 monte carlo so imports aren't my strong point but lately i've been interested in getting a 91-95 pickup sr5. i wanted to know if these years had open differentials or not. what is the best way to make them LSD's. i'm not sure of the spline of these axles so i wasn't sure if it would be worth it to upgrade everything or just throw in a posi unit. i've done this on the monte so don't know if it would be the same deal.

thanks for the help!

also what tire size would best fit these years. i've been reading up and can't find a solid answer. would a 2" BL do the trick to help fit a little bigger tire? i don't want to go any more thena 35. probably leaning towards a 33 to be honest.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
depending on the tire width and rim backspacing you can fit 33s with no lift at all (33x10.5). as for the "best fit" i'd say 31x10.5

there are a lot of options for traction aids for toyota 8" and 7.5"s. you can find spools, manual and automatic lockers, limited slips..

they all (as far as i know) came with open differentials. some came with 4.88s that are oddballs. here is a link to study http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Best way to do a limited slip is to do the true trac. Idk the name of the company atm, being that its 415 am.
You'll have to take apart the rear axle though.
The toyota axles are comparable in strength to a dana 44, if that says anything. And they're stronger with a few minor upgrades. They're more or less a reduced size ford 9".

As far as tires, you can fit 33s with a 2" body lift if you want. But the gearing on the axles from the factory is really well suited for 31s or 30s..
Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
You can fit 33s stock. I believe its Detroit that makes the tru trac.

Keep reading. All your answers are on here. Pay special attention to the stickies at the top of each board
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 AM

from what i hear body lifts aren't the way to go but that's the opinion of all the jeep guys we go wheelin with. personally i wouldn't mind a small 2"BL b/c i really like the stance of the truck already.

i though tru trac was a ford thing? what spline axles can i upgrade to?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM

You dont need to upgrade your shafts. There already good. But if you feel like wasting money, a few companies make chromoly shafts.
Linky:
http://www.trail-gear.com/rear-axles

Personally, Id skip the lsd and go straight to a locker. Lsds are for housewives.

Truetrac:
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...trac/index.htm

People have mixed emotions when it comes to body lifts. Just build the truck for what you want to do with it.

Seriously though, go read the stickies.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 02-15-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 AM

well the truck is still going to be a dailly driver so idk about a locker. i deffinitely want to go with a lsd for the froont then if its open.

what are the stickies your talking about?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stickies are at the top of each forum section like the Noob Section, the '95.5-04 Taco/'96-02 4Runner section, etc.. They have a lot of the the most asked info on them. You can get a Lockright or an Aussie for the $200-300 range and that will be a full locker when you're on the gas, but it will ratchet and allow the tires to turn at different speeds around corners. The Detriot
TrueTracs are more like $500. The luchbox lockers aren't the best for DDs, but they are manageable and not too bad. I would ask yourself what do you want more.. great off road ability but only ok street manners (lunchbox), or ok off road ability (still better than an open diff) but great street manners (TrueTrac).
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 AM

what's the difference btw a lockright and a trutrac?

i have only ran a locker in a monte b/c it was a project dd and dragstrip car. i learned my lesson with the locker. wheels hopped around the turns and the tires didn't seem to last very long b/c of it.

would a lsd be found and pulled out of another pickup/4runner or is that somethin i'm better off just getting new?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM

A lockright locks up the diff while an LSD (TrueTrac) will still allow slippage - not as much slippage as an open diff though. An LSD is positraction, not a locker.

A luchbox locker (Lockright/Aussie) allows the wheels to turn at different speeds around corners, but you have to learn how to drive and use the gas pedal right so it won't lock up. Not bad but you'll have to adjust your driving to it.

I don't believe any LSDs were offered in the pre '95.5 Tacoma trucks so you'll probably have to buy that new.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 AM

that doesn't sound so bad considering i have to learn how to drive a stickshift too which on the street doesn't see so bad but off roading idk how i'll do lol. thanks for all the help

buddy of mine just told me "grind it til ya find it" so i guess i'll learn it quick. so how hard is it to install one of these lockrights?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM

on an 1991 sr5 pickup this would be for the rear...
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/spart..._store=default

and this would be for the front differential...
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/spart..._store=default

is this correct? i want to make sure i have everything figured out before i go buy myself one of these pickup's so i know what i'm getting into.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Yeah those will work. If you get a V6 truck, youll have select a v6 locker for the rear. (same thing, just a different option) Fronts are the same.

Also look into aussie lockers.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM

aussie lockers being a brand of lockers? where both of those for a v6? i typed in sr5 not the 22re so i assumed they were correct. what would happen if the wrong ones were installed and ran?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM

On the link to the rear one see that is says "4 cly" on it. 4cly (22re) and 6cly (3vze) have the same front diff, but the rears on the v6 have a beefier housing and bearings.

Aussie is another brand of locker.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM

ok i see. i checked out the aussie website and they have it set up so you pretty much can't order the wrong one. i also checked richmonds w/s and wanted to know what people thought of them. i used richmond gears before and never had a problem but never used anything else so i don't know the quality of them.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I honestly can't recall a single post about a bad Aussy locker...

The made in china but assembled in the US by Down Syndrome kids Spartan, and the Richmond Gear Lock-rite are another story...

Don't let some guy talk you into a POS b/c he paid $50 less for it and hasn't broke it yet.

These are things you should research for yourself.

Lockers are a cam lock. And that cam lock is the cross pin. Under torque the cross pin separates the inner parts of the locker that are teethed, into the outer parts that are teethed forcing them to lock and transmit power.

It's in a turn you're supposed to let off the gas and the cross pin will de-cam allowing the inner part of the locker to free wheel over the outer (creating a ratchet sound) thus "unlocking" the axle so tire wear and handling are more neutral.

Without a doubt a True Track will have better and more predictable driving characteristics most similar to an open diff.

And IMO will more than suit your needs.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-19-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, it's late here, and I'm grouchy. Sorry in advance.

**Start Rant**

#1 - You don't know how to drive stick. Now, I know you guys get snow like I do here in Alaska. If you're a mediocre stick driver trying to drive on snow it's going to be.... well interesting to watch. Not to mention you're trying to drop a front and rear locker into it. I've driven stick my whole life. I own 2 cars that are autos, the fiancee drives them both as I hate autos. Point being, don't put the cart before the horse. Where the heck are you going to be wheeling in jersey that you need a front and rear locker? I wheel in snow covered, bear infested, alaskan wastelands.... and I only have a rear locker that I often regret having. Start building the truck after you've gotten to know it. Don't drop a ton of money into crap you don't need yet, then realize the head gasket is shot and be stuck. If you don't wheel all the time, a front locker is (IMO) useless. A rear locker is going to make the truck more difficult to drive daily. My lady has driven the 4runner with a locker and she swore she'd never drive it again (thank god.)

#2 -Really? A body lift? Yeah, they're cheap.... why not do a Ball Joint spacer lift? There's 2" right there. Just as cheap, way better IMO.

#3 - Patience is a virtue. Save yourself lots of $$$, research 4 times, spend once.

#4 - Search search search. Seriously. There is so much information on this forum it makes me sick to think how much time I've spent on here. Mods, if you have some tracking bot that can track my time spent on here, and even think about posting it, I'll flip out.

** End of Rant**
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

If you are looking to to have a LSD you can look at the Supra LSD

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/supra_lsd/

and dont worry about wheeling or learning to drive a stick, wheeling is not that hard to get used to, just make sure your starter is working good the first trip as you will most likely kill it alot. Driving a stick on the street is not hard either, I learned at a dealership I was working at and they couldnt even tell that I had never drove a stick before, if my wife can do it, then I am sure you can also.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM

the reason i thought of throwing in a locker on both ends is the fact that i am constantly getting stuck in my 2wd f150. for some reason all my buddies call me to come pull them out b/c i have a truck. with an open rear i'm almost useless too. i figured the more wheels i have grabbing the better. up in atco is where we usually go and it's fun with a few little things to challenge someone like me that doesn't have much experience and is learning. obviously i'd learn how to drive the truck before going out in the woods but the lockers are something i was asking around to see if its something worth doing.

Quick Reply: Open Differential or Not