Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Need Expert Modification Advice, Toyota Pickup newb here (slight problem)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Expert Modification Advice, Toyota Pickup newb here (slight problem)

Ok, here's my problem I have run into being a complete newb to trucks... I am learning though

My problem is my truck is not like most here, it's 4x2, and most suckage of all, its an AUTOMATIC which apparently limits my chance at getting a cheap 3 inch lift kit, no?

Anyways, I recently picked up a standard cab 22RE AUTO 1991 Toyota Pickup identical to the grey one picture below.... what I want to do is make it look very similar to the red truck in the 2nd pic but I can't seem to find the cheap parts that will work with my specific truck.

Can you guys please help me out, you guys seem to know 500x more than I do (thanks to bmcel on here for uploading his truck pics, even though I photochopped it a bit hehehe)

what it looks like now:

What I want it to look like:

I know the rims are Soft 8 wheels which cost around $40-50 shipped each... I know some of you know this, but WHAT SIZE TIRE can I fit without rubbing (for sure) on a set of 15 inch black soft 8s? And I probably can't find the now rare custom billet chrome grill, so its not super important to me really.....

Thanks for all who help me out, I appreciate it!

CHEERS
Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM

http://www.carid.com/1989-toyota-pic...LAID=411903605

10 seconds on google?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Oh sweet, thanks.. I was reading and someone here mentioned that they might not make them any more.

Now I just need to find a cheaper lift kit for my setup (standard cab,4x2,Automatic)... does it exist under $500? And that's all I would need for slightly bigger tires (31's would work no?) or is there more "lift" and suspension parts needed?

This is just for light mudding and DD so I'm not looking to jack it up huge or put massive tires, maybe just something that will handle mud better than these puny 14 inch ˟˟˟˟in' bicycle wheels

Last edited by tokyota91; 01-25-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Why lift 2wd pickup??
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by T_F_E
Why lift 2wd pickup??
This is just for light mudding and DD so I'm not looking to jack it up huge or put massive tires, maybe just something that will handle mud better than these puny 14 inch ˟˟˟˟in' bicycle wheels Or can I use those size tires without rubbing? If I don't have to lift it, I won't I just am looking for better offroad performance compared to the rinkydink setup I have now.

Last edited by tokyota91; 01-25-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
buy 4x4! Honest, it's doable but your going to have a tougher time getting what you want. I own a 2wd and love it for dd'ing and gas saving. If you're really dead set on lifting the 2wd to fit lets say 30" tires youre going to most likely need a serious body lift if you want to stay cheap or look into some suspension lifts wich for the 2wds get expensive and are primarily for pre running. Also take into consideration the cost of changing gears to match your tires and how much wear and tear the 2wd parts are going to take. Do some searching around the site and look at the what tire size will fit thread to see what i'm speaking of. Not trying to discourage you but might wanna look into getting a 4wd if you want the 4wd look.

Last edited by mightymouse; 01-25-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM

your better off to sell the 2wd and get a 4x4 if you want to run bigger tires and do any kind of mud boggin...

i was in your same shoes about 6-7 years ago, i sold mine. after you look at the money aspect at what you will spend, it just wasnt worth it to me. I know thats not what you were asking i was just giving you my experience.

Welcome to YT btw.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the fast as hell replies... I have to save up and sell some crap (this 91 included) I have in order to even THINK about buying a USED 4x4. Broke college type kid here....

Guess I have to think about it some more, but I'd really just like to get as much height with the tires as possible on a new set of 15 inch rims (15x7 unless I can fit 15x8s without rubbing, do you know)

And then the repeat 2nd question you all hear a lot --- what size tire will fit my application with the new 15 inch rims? This is a stock 1991 standard cab AUTO 22re with no mods ever done.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some options

Really good but $$$
http://www.chaosfab.com/92100.html

Fabtech
Not exactly sure what you're getting here. The second link seems to show more of what to expect
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/toyota2.htm
http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c.../LKS/FTS4130-1

Some options from 4Crawler. Also poke around his site for for some great tech and ideas.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...BodyLift.shtml

It's your truck. Do what you want with it. A little lift, a rear locker, and some all terrain tires and it will go a lot of places. (what the heck are all those Tacoma prerunners doin' out there?) Sure it won't do what 4x4s do but as long as you're realistic you can go hunt, camp, fish, explore tons of cool places. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Cool, I'll check that out now BLKNBLU... thanks man I really appreciate your time and help I'm not looking to go up into mountains or into 4 foot mud pits **AT ALL** so I think you guys are getting me wrong. I just do a little 2-tracking and light mud trails that kind of beat the bottom of my truck a little. I already got water into the air box (lil bit pf light WHITE oil got mixed in the oil cap, but I checked on it and she's running fine still after a few days driving, so I got really lucky Replaced the soggy air filter too ) -- kind of the reason I made this thread, to stay out of those puny ass puddle hazards that should be cakewalk for a truck such as mine!

Last edited by tokyota91; 01-25-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM

[quote=BigSwole;51645282]your better off to sell the 2wd and get a 4x4 if you want to run bigger tires and do any kind of mud boggin...quote]

no no no no nooooo nooo no... NO. SAS the truck you already have and just put in a 4wd trans and tc, you will be able to keep it lower then most SAS cause 2wd have a higher frame hump and it'll be cheaper then selling yours and buying a 4wd. seriously you can get a w56 trans and tc for around $300 and a SAS kit will run you a little over 1k, $300 for a complete front axle, used ps box for $100. then through some 4wd fenders on it or just trim what you have now.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
It's your truck. Do what you want with it. A little lift, a rear locker, and some all terrain tires and it will go a lot of places.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tokyota91
Cool, I'll check that out now BLKNBLU... thanks man I really appreciate your time and help I'm not looking to go up into mountains or into 4 foot mud pits **AT ALL** so I think you guys are getting me wrong. I just do a little 2-tracking and light mud trails that kind of beat the bottom of my truck a little. I already got water into the air box (lil bit pf light WHITE oil got mixed in the oil cap, but I checked on it and she's running fine still after a few days driving, so I got really lucky Replaced the soggy air filter too ) -- kind of the reason I made this thread, to stay out of those puny ass puddle hazards that should be cakewalk for a truck such as mine!
Right on. Check out this guys story.
http://www.delsjourney.com/close-ups...yota_truck.htm
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 PM

get some t bars and some ball joint spacers and a better shock. that will lift you a few inches. for the back do a chevy 63 leaf swap and u can just buy some cheap shocks like 5100 bills or even a cheap gas shock. maybe grab a body lift or some 4x4 fenders if you dont clear 31's. u can get the leafs and fenders at a pick a part and that will be like 100 bucks maybe. or look online. race-dezert.com dezertrangers.com craigslist.com
the chevy leaf swap lifts you about 3 to 4 inches supposedly so that should clear.
and take off your sway bar up front it rides way better
i have a 2wd and i got torsions and bj spacers up front and the chevy 63 leafs going in the rear soon. im looking to put 31's on mine as well.
i might be selling my sway away torsions and 1.5 in bj spacers soon if your interested, with gas shocks

here is what 2wd looks like with 31's. i forget whose truck this is but maybe he will chime in