Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Just got a 2nd Gen 4Runner; looking for a good overview

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a 2nd Gen 4Runner; looking for a good overview

I just picked up a '94 SR5 V6 4Runner. It's been in a couple of wrecks (read: the bumpers need some work, but everything's mechanically sound even if I can't get to the spare tire because of the rear bumper's angle) but has had no real problems over its lifetime. Driving it home 450 miles I saw about 23.3 MPG which surprised the hell out of me (1.5 hours in a traffic jam, AC half the time, mostly used cruise control to set between 65 and 67 MPH). My dad bought it new in '94 so I've got a good feel for its history...

Anyway, I'm going to use this for typical farm truck tasks (run to the hardware store, occasionally haul produce) and I will occasionally (but only occasionally) do something that'll require more than a front wheel drive car with good ground clearance will privide. The next forseeable use will be a trip cross-country this summer (GA to CA) with a week or so photographing Anasazi ruins out in the Southwest a away from roads and gas stations.

So, I'm looking for good advice to get me grounded -- most here seem way more serious about off-roading than I am at this point, and most of my experience offroading is in an APC (M106A2 for those of you who know the joys of the mighty four-deuce) and milspec Humvees that were abused in Germany.

So to start, this newb has the following questions:

1) How capable is a stock 4WD 4Runner offroad? I'm assuming as long as I don't get hung up on a rock and can keep all 4 wheels on the road it'll do fine, which probably translates into "it'll go where you wanna go, just don't be a moron." Am I right?

2) What're basic tools/parts you find you need to carry when you're dinking around offroad? Anything in particular that's likely to break? Anything required other than the standard toolkit, wire, rope, tape, water, and oil kit?

3) How do y'all use the roof rack? I've got the stock roof rack and in an ideal world I'll be able to stash some jerry cans up there (water and fuel). Must one buy a $300 basket to mount there, or does someone have a link to a good DIY option? Seems like you ought to be able to put something together for not too much money...

4) Where do y'all mount antennas? I'll be looking to mount a VHF/UHF, CB, and (if they ever remove the morse requirement) HF antenna on this thing. Where do you mount radios out of the way (I've got an Icom IC-706MKIIG that'd I'd like to park out of the way and just use the faceplate mounted to the dash)?

5) What are the basic low-dollar but high-value improvements you've made? I am looking for a cheap way to remove the sag in the rear of the vehicle, but it's not worth $120 to me right now, to be honest.

6) Any real disadvantages to sticking with the stock 31x10.5R15 tire size? Anything better for all-purpose use than the Michelins they sell at Costco and Sams?

Thanks. I'm glad we have a noob section so I can get all this out in one post.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great! Welcome to Yotatech. For in depth answers to your questions, please use the search function.

In brief:
1) Quite capable. Open diffs and travel from IFS are the limiting factors. Lockers make a huge improvement for a relatively mild investment. Improving the wheel travel significantly gets expensive (there are some things you can do to help for cheap though)

2) Depends on how far off road you're going to be. At least what you have mentioned there for anything remotely off road. A CV half-shaft assembly is not a bad idea. HiLift jack with accessory kit is a good idea for more remote journeys.

3) I don't have one, and the last thing I would want is to raise the center of gravity.

4) Corners of the rear bumper

5) Manual hubs. AISIN or Warn Premium. Slightly better gas mileage, a whole lot more options if something breaks off road.

6) No - lots of options in that size. You can also fit 33x10.50 with no lift and gain some traction and ground clearance.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out his thread about the suspension:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/new-forum-looking-suspension-ideas-74159/

All the other stuff has some really good write-ups on them. search & you will find more info than you can imagine
Old 04-10-2006, 05:53 PM

I have a roof basket with the mounting feet and 2 light mounting tabs for $150 shipped, it will fit your 4x4 perfectly.

Lamm
Old 04-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Sweet, Lamm.

Any chance you can send me a pic, or a link to it?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 AM

If you click on the "my new ride" or "destroyed by fire" in my sig there are various pics of it and such.

Here is the link to the "for sale" page:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81453

It's aluminum, so it dosen't fool with you center of gravity like TC mentioned.

Lamm
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Welcome to YT. If you need anything let me. info@trdparts4u.com