Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Just bought my 2nd 4Runner yesterday, and I have a ? re: guages/dash trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought my 2nd 4Runner yesterday, and I have a ? re: guages/dash trim

I was first indoctrinated back in High School when my Dad bought an extended cab Yoda truck brand new back in 1994. Since then, I've owned a 1998 4Runner Limited, and just yesterday, I pulled the trigger on a 2000 SR5 4Runner.

I bought the one yesterday after putting 200,400 miles on the 1998. It was totaled out in an accident, unfortunately.

The one I've got needs a tune-up, new (bigger) shoes, and some other cosmetic stuff done, but the most pressing thing I'd like to do is a cosmetic job on the interior.

Specifically, I want to see if anyone has some instructions on how to pop the Dash Trim completely off, and replace the wood grain surrounds on the air conditioning vents, controls, and radio. I'd also like to replace the surrounds that lead down around the shifter and back towards the center console. Lastly, I'd also like to replace the surrounds on the doors on the driver & passenger sides that are laid around the locks & window controls.

Currently, this is peeling, and its going to get worse.

I've priced out the dash-trim kits, but the dash itself is in great shape, & I have no desire to change it. What I want to do is just change out those control surrounds and the console leading back towards the shifter, and the doors.

I've spent awhile searching for specific instructions on how to do this, starting out at first on 4Runner Forums, and then coming over here and registering.

I see some instructions for changing out instrumentation & guage clusters, but my job shouldn't be that large of an undertaking.

I apologize if I haven't include necessary info, or am posting this out of place or when there's obvious instructions somewhere that I'm overlooking. Any responses or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, & I hope this is the first of several modifications to my 4Runner. I love the platform & the truck.

Thanks,

G_Funk in Denham Springs, La.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Best to use a plastic putty knife or simlar flat plastic tool to "pop" off those dash and door trim pieces. Refrain from using a metal object to pry.

You may be able to find new trim pieces in this forum's classified under "vechicles parting out". Or check ebay.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by badattitude
Best to use a plastic putty knife or simlar flat plastic tool to "pop" off those dash and door trim pieces. Refrain from using a metal object to pry.

You may be able to find new trim pieces in this forum's classified under "vechicles parting out". Or check ebay.
Hey, thanks a lot for the quick response.

I already know where and how to get my hands on the replacement pieces. I really wanted to know if anyone had already done this and had some instructions they had placed here.

If I'm left to my own devices, I'm going to go it alone on my own, but I'd much rather if someone who'd already done this gave me some insight.

Thanks again!