Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

junk yard head??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junk yard head??

hey i recently bought my toyota, and 7 months down the line, i find out that the head gasket and head are cracked pretty bad. along with that, my bearing rollers (i think thats what they are called) are slightly worn. (where the crankshaft spins there has been some rubbing which has caused grooves in the spot where the bearings sit.)

i have found a head at a junk yard that is "guaranteed not cracked" i was just wondering if i should even go through with fixing my truck in this manner.

the truck itself has got 250,000 miles on it with the original tranny. the tranny is manual and does not grind at all. what is the typical life on these trannys before they need a rebuil;d.....thanks for anyones input i truly appreciate it.

and to whoever runs this site....thank you so much its really helped me with how to go about all of my troubles, just from reading otther posts.......

thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM

I would look into getting a new head, I just purchased one for my 88, its brand new, have not had any problems with it, you can get it at Japan motors for $240, its complete with valves.... as far as the tranny goes, I have 317000 mile on my 4runner, not one problem....

Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I really wouldn't trust a junkyard head. Engnbldr has a good rep and they have a brand new assembled (minus cam I think) head for less than $400 shipped (Engnbldr). That's a ported head for better performance. If you're just looking for stock then go with what my4runner was talking about. I really think you will do better in the long run spending a little more on the parts. If it were me I'd pull the whole engine and go through it to make sure the bottom end is up to par. But, if it ran fine before the head gasket and you didn't run it too hot you should be fine.

On the trans, I just scattered the 5 speed in my 4Runner at 279K (lots of bearing noise, lost 4th gear). I bought a parts truck with 305K and used the trans out of that and it works like a charm . They generally give plenty of warning before they go so just keep it full of lube and let it ride. I guess I should mention that my failure was, in addition to the mileage, quite a bit of heavy wheeling.

I would recommend to get a new head and also get a timing set from Engnbldr since they have the metal guide that won't break. As long as your bottom end is strong you should be good for a loooonnnggg while.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 AM

thanks guys....is that japanmotors.com???? id rather spend forty extra dollars for a new one.........japanmotors.com?????
Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM

I sent the info you asked for, if you didnt get it, send me a message again, and I will email it.....
Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yah, I wouldn't use a junkyard head. When my 87 4Runner blew a headgasket I picked up a used head for 30 bucks, had it checked and gone over and installed it. I only got another 108,000 miles before I sold it and the current owner has had it for about 10 years with no problems. He probably hasn't driven it since he got it, you know he's worried about the junkyard head.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 PM

.... just your luck. isn't it.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
just installed a junk yard head into my brothers 93 3vze and it runs like a charm now. the stock head had burned valves on the #5 cylinder. I say go for it. just clean it up really well and make sure to lap in the valves.