Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Im 15 and i bought a 1987 Toyota 4x4 (See pic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you want a efi not carb!! efi runs at any angles!
fender should be maybe 30-100 bucks depending location and availibility
Old 06-25-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool what the likely hood of efi in a 1987
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by driveithard
cool what the likely hood of efi in a 1987
I would just go out and check man, it should be really easy to tell.

Fink
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very good!!! if its a runner a pickup its 50/50 id say.. good thing about a carb is if you dont have emission its cheap to switch to propane... theres lots to learn about these trucks and there great to learn on... just keep reading yt.. and watch toyota videos on you tube for encouragement!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 PM

i dnt have the truck yet fink
Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just some advice for deaf ears.

I too started this game at your age.

I bought a bunch of exhaust stuff, intake stuff, tuned it up, yada yada.

I put on a bunch of stickers, and looked and sounded really cool in the high school parking lot.

Then I went wheeling. Not "wheeling" like I was used to it, you know, on your buddy's dads property with a few ditches. As in trail running.

I struggled up the trail, looking like a fool with my super loud truck with lots of stickers. Guy not much older than me was WALKING up the trail with no issues, and taking every hard line there was. He was running a very similar truck, just had two ARBs, two cases, and 33's on beadlocks.

Point being, you are driving a 100 horsepower, 20 year old truck. If you bolt on a bunch of "performance mods" you will be driving a loud, 110 hp 20 year old truck.

You'll notice the difference, but anybody in a stock honda is going to be way faster than you.

I gave up on the "go fast performance" because that isn't what toyotas are good for.

Toyota's are good at "go slow performance". I can get out of my truck and it will go up just about anything, on its own, no gas. I cannot stall it out (5speed), and i have even more fun than I did when I was younger and tried to get "performance" out of it.

Just some food for thought before you spend your money. If you are still intent on getting the upgrades you mentioned, a header is a good place to start, followed by ye old ISR mod, and a 2.25" exhaust.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Just some advice for deaf ears.

I too started this game at your age.

I bought a bunch of exhaust stuff, intake stuff, tuned it up, yada yada.

I put on a bunch of stickers, and looked and sounded really cool in the high school parking lot.

Then I went wheeling. Not "wheeling" like I was used to it, you know, on your buddy's dads property with a few ditches. As in trail running.

I struggled up the trail, looking like a fool with my super loud truck with lots of stickers. Guy not much older than me was WALKING up the trail with no issues, and taking every hard line there was. He was running a very similar truck, just had two ARBs, two cases, and 33's on beadlocks.

Point being, you are driving a 100 horsepower, 20 year old truck. If you bolt on a bunch of "performance mods" you will be driving a loud, 110 hp 20 year old truck.

You'll notice the difference, but anybody in a stock honda is going to be way faster than you.

I gave up on the "go fast performance" because that isn't what toyotas are good for.

Toyota's are good at "go slow performance". I can get out of my truck and it will go up just about anything, on its own, no gas. I cannot stall it out (5speed), and i have even more fun than I did when I was younger and tried to get "performance" out of it.

Just some food for thought before you spend your money. If you are still intent on getting the upgrades you mentioned, a header is a good place to start, followed by ye old ISR mod, and a 2.25" exhaust.
well put man, these trucks were definetly not created with performance in mind, but in stock form are pretty capable offroad especially with a good driver
Old 06-27-2008, 05:01 AM

thats some real good advice, AxleIke. i tend to use the phrase, there's no replacement for displacement, but with the price of fuel......
anyways my little tidbit of advice is, if you are gonna do mods, do one at a time. dont do like 3 things at once, because if there is a problem, it will now take you 3 times as long to figure out what is causing the problem. i used to help a buddy out at his jet ski place. the number of skis that came in not running right after a series of mods was astronomical. i have also seen where 2 mods dont make a right. meaning, the 2 mods didnt work well together. i have saw a guy do a head, twin carbs, exhaust, and trick timing, all at once. ski ran slower with all that junk on it than it did stock. like AxleIke said, it sounded cool, and had a lot of stickers on it, but i could run faster than it.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by driveithard
i dnt have the truck yet fink
Well that would pose a problem then wouldn't it.

Fink
Old 06-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

One thing a lot of us young drivers get into (myself included) is we go immediately for performance, looks and chick magnet factor.

The best route to go is focus on the core of the vehicle, the stuff that is required to get you from point A to point B. Mechanics.

If you get a truck that doesn't run well, and you immediately go into lifting it and slapping some exhaust on it. Well, now you've got a truck that doesn't run well, probably doesn't sound well depending on how rough it's running and since it's lifted you're just drawing more attention to the loud truck that is sputtering down the highway.

That's the way I look at it. That's the way I have gone into every vehicle I have purchased since the day I turned 16.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 06-27-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 AM

dude i defently worded it wrong i wondering things i should do lifts air tires no nessarly performance of my 22r im talking over all perfomance axels and other stuff?!?!?!?!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure its your wording, exactly, but rather the lack of punctuation. Hard to follow one sentence that should be 3 with a list.

What should you do first?

Tune it up. Get it running right.

Next step is to WHEEL IT!!!!

You do not need mods to wheel. You need a running truck, with non bald tires.

Lock in the hubs, shift the short lever, and struggle your way up some trails.

Please don't take this as an insult, but you are 15. You've got a lot of learning ahead of you for pavement driving, let alone wheeling. Wheeling stock is HANDS DOWN the BEST way to become a capable wheeler.

Then take a step back, and see where you're lacking.

Once you've learned how to drive, I recommend the following order of mods:

Armor: gives you confidence to drive harder without the risk of severe body damage.

Next is lockers and gears: Time to plan ahead to the tires you want to run. You'll be looking at 4.88's or 5.29's if you want anything bigger than a 33" tire.

Lastly is tires and lift.

Wheeling stock has other benefits too: you are only spending money on gas. This gives you money extra to put into savings for quality parts later on. The young man's curse is to want it all, and want it now. That coupled with a meager budget generally results in ghetto rigged, trashy stuff that is a hazard and an embarrassment. Having some extra cash means you can plan your build based on your experience and needs, and do it once, and do it right.

It'll be a larger up front cost, but in the end, will be cheaper.

Good luck.

Last edited by AxleIke; 06-27-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Listen to AxleIke and his words of wisdom.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Ya I know I've been doing this since I was 12 my dad let me use his 1987 GMC Serria 4x4 a coupple times on "the trail" it was fun the olny reason I have switched and loved toyota is Because in canada we pay 1.58 a litre for gas!!! (witch is a 1/3 of a gallon) but im totaly new to japonise veichles and i want to do stuff right I'm shure you all undersatnd!! AND FOR ALL OUT THERE I APOLIGISE FOR MY SPELLING LOL!! thanks for you help and i like all these tips!!