Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

I want my rig in an offroad magazine. What do "I" need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want my rig in an offroad magazine. What do "I" need to do?

Anybody had their rig featured in an offroad magazine, or a magazine for that matter?
Or, anybody know how to get your rig in a mag?!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/c...ons/index.html

That is actually a link from last year but it gives you an idea on what to do. I wouldn't know how to get a feature but if all your worried about is just getting in then "reader's rides" is your best option. Or thrash it and try to get into that section but the idea is the same. Just get some photos, spec list, write a note and mail it to the magazine. It helps if you have a "cause." Like your significant other is going over seas or your mother is dying. I always see mags that post the letter that was written in with the submission and it always says something like that. Oh and BTW I just googled "how to get into a truck magazine. There are a lot more links out there i just clicked the first one.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot more goes into getting in a mag (4WDTO) than just having a sweet ride.

Unless someone from the mag is going to write your story and take your pictures, you need to understand the requirements to do it yourself.

I had a site with a photo gallery of my trucks and emailed the magazines a link and told them to check it out. I got a reply and luckily I was in the photo/printing industry so I understood the requirements needed to make a good print photo.

Share your photos with the mags, you never know.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Only because I rule of course.

Substitute the word "rolled" for "rule" in that sentence. And then it's not so funny...but oh so true.

My truck's in PETERSEN'S 4WHEEL & OFF-ROAD Magazine!!!

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-12-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Only because I rule of course.

Substitute the word "rolled" for "rule" in that sentence. And then it's not so funny...but oh so true.

My truck's in PETERSEN'S 4WHEEL & OFF-ROAD Magazine!!!

Not the route I would recommend

Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, it wasn't my first "WHOOPS!". . And it's certainly not my last(the way I drive). But it's definitely the BIGGEST one so far.

Honestly, I feel like I've done(or atleast have gotten away with) dumber things driving and/or wheelin' my truck. And I've ended up stuck damn near as, if not just as, bad on quite a few occasions.
  • I've needed winched back up onto the road/trail 4 different times from 4 different people. Not including the time I did it myself with an electric winch I installed on-site, or the countless times I've done it by hand with a come-along.
  • Been towed back up onto the road/trail by a fully loaded dump truck once, and by full size rigs atleast 3 times I can remember. And once by a 4x4 quad.
  • Blown 2 clutches in the middle of nowhere trying to get 'er unstuck from snow up to the frames rails(towed home once, limped it home with half the clutch friction material missing the other).
  • Ripped the entire rear axle and rear driveshaft off trying to make a gnarly hillclimb in the pouring down rain(lift block failure).

If I had pics for any of those events I could have sent them all in. Potentially getting my rig in the magazine any of those times.

I thought I remembered somebody here had their FJ Cruiser in 4WDToyotaOwner magazine or something. Was that it...or...was it something else I'm thinking of? I'm pretty sure it was an FJ Cruiser...not so sure which magazine.

I'll have to try and find that...

Last edited by MudHippy; 03-12-2012 at 08:16 PM.