Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

I Need A Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys I have ordered a 4.88 rear differential with rear abs only does any one know why I had to specify abs? my 95 4runner 4x4 only have abs on the rear, does it have any connections to the inside of the differential chunk?...also is this and easy swap to change out the pumpkin? and I paid 550.00 for this diff and it includes shipping & it only has 60,000 miles they tell me so maybe I got a decent deal but it really was hard to find the 4.88 rear diff.I would like to do something with the one that I remove any suggestions for that diff?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The rear ABS has a speed sensor in the rear differential that reads the speed of the rear wheels. To swap, 4 nuts hold each axle backing plate to the axle housing, pull the driveshaft, and disconnect the brake hard lines and the e-brake cables. Slide axle shafts out, pull the 3rd member, put in the new one, push the axles back in, fill with gear oil, hook up disconnected items and bleed the brakes,
Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah you need really long brake lines if you dont wanna take the shafts out.. on my trail rig its no problem but my old dd i have to unhook and re-bleed...not a big issue unless your prop valve is rusty!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks 4crawler for all your help!..is there a break in period that I will need to do? and I pray the diff is in A-1 condition but I know it's a gamble at this time
Old 08-27-2008, 04:41 PM

thanks bigt for the info I hope that this will solve my problem for sure this time and i'm kinda getting tired of chasing to issue it's been a month and 2 shops and lots of post and answers and I thank all who have shared information.....
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by buckz6319
Thanks 4crawler for all your help!..is there a break in period that I will need to do? and I pray the diff is in A-1 condition but I know it's a gamble at this time
Only need a break in period when new gears are installed. Since these are used and already installed, no need to break them in.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, thats a hefty price tag! In anycase, it sounds like you should be able to do it no problem. The rear is easy!

You need to pull the axle shafts out to get the 3rd out, pull them completley out. Don't let them rest on the axle seals. Don't forget to bleed the brakes when your done, don't forget the lspv.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM

yes it was a hefty price for the chunk I couldn't find one here local so I had to order one from FLA it was the closest place and all the ones I called about that were out of state were about the same price with shipping heck one place wanted 1079.00 for theirs they said it was A-1 but I couldn't afford it.I now have to wait until the 3rd gets here with the holliday coming up I may n ot get it until Tuesday.
What do you think I should do with the 3rd i'm removing?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Well guys I got jacked by the vendor that I was purchasing the 3rd from!
He keeps telling me that he has shipped the 3rd yesterday but he can't provide me with a comformation number or a tracking number.The dude says that he will email me with that info 4 times today. I told him that he should have emailed it to me yesterday and here it is Friday and still no email from him.I got tired of the way he was doing business and called him again for the 5th time today to find out what is going on.he answered the phone but hung up on me I procceded to call him again but got his voice mail so I left 2 messages saying to cancel the order and called my credit card company to alert them that this a$$ h$$$ is not authorized to charge my account the 550.00 for a 3rd that he says he has shipped to me but he can't provide me with any info so i'm back to searching for a 3rd....if any one has a 3rd at a decent price please pm me thanks

Last edited by buckz6319; 08-29-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 PM

keep a eye out on craigslist
I found a axle for 200$ with 4.10 gearing, I ended up finding one at a U pull for 150$ and swapped it out and it was my u joints the whole time
that was a 150$ mistake but the one I got was a little beefier it was out of a 90.
post up on craigslist in the wanted section.
and search Toyota under parts in the surrounding city's
Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Well guys I just purchased a 3rd member and it will be delivered tomorrow thanks for the links 4CRAWLER........i'll keep all posted on the install and if I got lucky and got a good 3rd member wish me luck I'm installing it this weekend provided the weather is going to be ok theres a Hurricane heading toward the east coast of Georgia and I'm only 200 miles from the coast thanks for all the help
Dwayne
Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM

Well guys heres an update...I replaced the 3rd member on Saturday it took me all day to do this..I guess I'm slow but wanted every thing to go smooth.I took her out for a test drive about 10 miles or so and I still have the grinding which I thought was the rear diff.The rear bearings were in good shape and the axel seals also.I still think I'm having a rear output shaft bearing problem and that was my original thought after I read a lot of post about the rear output shaft pinion flange nut comes unstaked sometimes and the companion flange damages the bearing there.I had this problem and I really don't know how long the previous owner drove it in that condition.
I still feel the grinding on my commute to work and back 24 miles one way.I leave my home in the early morning and it's steady driving only to stop a few times at traffic lights but mostly 55 miles per hour until I get to work.
The grinding gets worse the longer I drive and when I come to a stop the grinding stops.It continues to grind or maybe a low grinding rumble I can feel it under my drivers seat and throught the tranny tunnel and the shifter for the 4 wheel drive more so than the shifter for the automatic.when the grinding/rumble is going on I can put the tranny O.D.in the off position (and in 3rd gear I guess it will be in) and the grinding is worse and when I put the O.D. in the on position the grinding is not as bad but is still there vary noticable.When I gas on it to go up even the slighest incline on the road the grinding in worse when I go over the incline and let off the gas a little and maintain my speed the grinding/rumble is there even in Netural the grinding is there.The only time that the grinding/rumble is not there is whan I stop rolling
I think it's the rear outputshaft bearing on the T-case.....because the nut was loose and maybe damaged the bearing or other bearings in that case.
Now I got home this evening and got under the 4runner and sprayed water around the rear of the T-case @ the bearing housing and around the new U joint there and water just sizzled and poped like it was vary hot....is this normal??...I also sprayed water on the drive shaft and the water just sizzled off it was vary hot also...I sprayed the water around the rear drive shaft new u joint and the water just sizzled off there also but not on the 3rd member it was not as hot...can any one tell me if this in normal for thoes parts to be that hot?..I know that the cat and muffler are real close to the drive shaft and u joints and the rear of the T-case but will the heat from those items be enough to heat up the parts to bubble water?...I WILL SAY THIS THAT THE U-JOINT AT THE OUTPUT COMPANION FLANGE IS THROWING OUT THE GREASE IT'S ALL OVER THE TRANNY TUNNEL ABOVE THE U-JOINT I THINK IT'S GETTING SO HOT THAT IT'S THROWING THE GREASE OUT

I would like to know what you guys think I'm really stumped here and want to get this over and done so I can enjoy driving this thing instead of working on it every Saturday and not doing my home chores....
I just tryed the water spray (just an Idea I had a while back) and thought maybe it will lead me to the problem area if it's some part over heating more than normal......thanks for any help.....by the way I have a good 3rd for sale it's the one that I thought was bad in my 4runner and it was not bad at all it has 170,000 miles and is clean with abs sensor attached please PM me if your interested

I have replaced the following or checked for any problems
1.front wheel bearings and races inner & outer both sides
2.front drivers side cv shaft assembly
3.front shocks, rear shocks
4.new tires with ballancing
5.new valve cover gaskets, pluggs, wires and all the tune up stuff
6.new drive shaft U Joints and the shaft is in phase
7.changed the tranny and t-case fluids....had some gear dust on the magnets in the tranny but no shavings of any kind...same for the t-case
8.new brakes front and rear
9. new front rotors and had to replaced 1 drum on the passenger rear
10.checked rear wheel bearings seem to be OK
11.replaced the 3rd member over this past weekend
12.checked front chunk fluid and all seems to be fine and it does go into 4wheel drive with no problem
13.I have removed the rear drive shaft and drove in front wheel drive and the grinding is still there
14.I have greased all the zerks
15. so much other stuff i can't remember it all at this time sorry
please forgive me for some grammer errors for I'm tired of typing....

Last edited by buckz6319; 09-08-2008 at 05:04 PM.