Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Headgasket Recall - NEW ENGINE?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headgasket Recall - NEW ENGINE?!?

Ok...so I found out about the headgasket recall on the 3.0 V6 after blowing my headgasket on my way to a camping trip. I took the truck into the dealership and had the headgaskets replaced under warranty. When I went back to pick it up, there was no oil pressure and it was making a strange knocking noise. They tore it apart again, and called me in to look at the engine sludge in the oil pan. The oil pickup tube's screen was sucked into the tube, and there was minimal sludge (just in the corner of the oil pan, about 1/2" thick), and they said the #1 and #5 bearings were bad. They said this was caused by regular engine wear, and the recall wouldn't cover it...also said they had to rebuild the bottom half of the engine, and it would cost me $1700.

Now...I was trying to get this covered by the recall/warranty, and have heard of other 4Runner owners getting a rebuilt engine out of this headgasket recall. Is there anything specific I need to point out to the service manager that will "prove" to him the blown headgaskets are the cause of the problems in the bottom half of the engine?

I think the headgaskets have been blown for quite a long time (like 2 years). I had the truck for about a year and overheated it. The radiator had some holes in it, so the cooling system was never under pressure. When I fixed all that (radiator, water pump, timing belt) is when I started having the headgasket problems...or when I NOTICED I started having headgasket problems.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way they were replacing engines is if your cylinder walls were scored and if you had pitting on the block deck. You can try contacting toyotas headquarters and see what they will do about it
Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still don't know how you guys are getting the HG recall done for free...

I called the coporate number, they said its no longer in effect, and my dealer won't do it either... I haven't been able to figure out how you guys do it
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota has had a problem with engine sludge across their product lines. Naturally, its kept secret and they didn't dare issue a recall about it. This information has found its way into a few automotive articles as technicians talk outside of the dealerships. I would call them on the carpet about this and be prepared to present some type of evidence regarding oil changes that comply with the manufacturer's recommendations. I always keep the filter top and write date and mileage on it. It is odd the pump pickup screen would be sucked into the pipe as you say. The only explanation I can think of is that a blob of sludge did make its way to the screen and the engine attempted to pull it up to the pump.

Best of luck with you problem.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
I still don't know how you guys are getting the HG recall done for free...

I called the coporate number, they said its no longer in effect, and my dealer won't do it either... I haven't been able to figure out how you guys do it
I got it done just a few months ago and my friend got it done just a few weeks ago at 2 different dealer in 2 different cities....try another dealer...I know they still offer it...my dealer said there was no time frame just as long as it says you never received one that they should do it
Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
Toyota has had a problem with engine sludge across their product lines. Naturally, its kept secret and they didn't dare issue a recall about it. This information has found its way into a few automotive articles as technicians talk outside of the dealerships. I would call them on the carpet about this and be prepared to present some type of evidence regarding oil changes that comply with the manufacturer's recommendations. I always keep the filter top and write date and mileage on it. It is odd the pump pickup screen would be sucked into the pipe as you say. The only explanation I can think of is that a blob of sludge did make its way to the screen and the engine attempted to pull it up to the pump.

Best of luck with you problem.
The 3VZE engine was not affected by this sludge issue.

None of the other engines would have been affected either if people just changed their oil at 3000 mile intervals.

Originally Posted by terrybo3
Ok...so I found out about the headgasket recall on the 3.0 V6 after blowing my headgasket on my way to a camping trip. I took the truck into the dealership and had the headgaskets replaced under warranty. When I went back to pick it up, there was no oil pressure and it was making a strange knocking noise. They tore it apart again, and called me in to look at the engine sludge in the oil pan. The oil pickup tube's screen was sucked into the tube, and there was minimal sludge (just in the corner of the oil pan, about 1/2" thick), and they said the #1 and #5 bearings were bad. They said this was caused by regular engine wear, and the recall wouldn't cover it...also said they had to rebuild the bottom half of the engine, and it would cost me $1700.

Now...I was trying to get this covered by the recall/warranty, and have heard of other 4Runner owners getting a rebuilt engine out of this headgasket recall. Is there anything specific I need to point out to the service manager that will "prove" to him the blown headgaskets are the cause of the problems in the bottom half of the engine?

I think the headgaskets have been blown for quite a long time (like 2 years). I had the truck for about a year and overheated it. The radiator had some holes in it, so the cooling system was never under pressure. When I fixed all that (radiator, water pump, timing belt) is when I started having the headgasket problems...or when I NOTICED I started having headgasket problems.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sounds like the previous owner didn't change the oil. This has nothing to do with the head gasket, and as such Toyota should not be responsible for it. On occasion, dealers will do a complete rebuild, but often its from water or coolant damage, not oil sludge.

Sounds like you need another engine to me.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

well, something occurred to me...

I have a 90 pickup made in October of 1989. Maybe I had the asbestos head gaskets and they weren't covered?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Well, I just got back from the dealership. They replaced the rocker bearings, oil pickup tube, some o-rings and gaskets. She's purring like a kitten!

Everything was done, free of charge.

I had been hearing I'd get a new engine, if the block was damaged at all...but, my engine block was not damaged. I do have an almost-totally-rebuilt engine, though, and it was definitley worth the money!!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Staff

They replaced the rocker bearings huh? Didn't know 3VZ had rockers. Let alone bearings in them!

Perhaps they replaced the Rod bearings instead? lol.

Sounds like the dealership took care of you really well. Be sure to thank them, and continue to do business with them. They could have told you to go pound sand, but its really great they took care of you.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
[QUOTE=DeathCougar;50752755]
None of the other engines would have been affected either if people just changed their oil at 3000 mile intervals.

Actually according to the manual, you only need to change the oil every 7500 miles. People were doing the 7500 mile oil change and still getting sludge buildup. Toyota has been quietly fixing this problem as long as you can prove you changed the oil at least every 7500 miles.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Staff

I know what the manual says. And thats the problem. Toyota was telling people they only needed to change it every 7500 miles, which was a mistake.

Its pretty widespread knowledge that oil should be changed at 3000 mile intervals. But Toyota did step up and pay for the mistake, so thats a good thing.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cost of rebuild engine - 2000+
Cost of oil change at 3000 vs 7500 - 23 bucks more.. Sounds worth it to me But I change mine every 2500-3000kms seeing as I only drive 10,000km a year.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why don't you post the name of the dealership. That way, the dealership gets a little free advertising and they get the business instead of a dealership that gives poor customer service. Positive re-enforcement.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Actually, IIRC, you should change the oil every 3k miles if you drive in "extreme conditions"

It doesn't matter to me, new or old, all my family's cars are changed at 3k
Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Why don't you post the name of the dealership. That way, the dealership gets a little free advertising and they get the business instead of a dealership that gives poor customer service. Positive re-enforcement.
The dealership is AUTOWAY TOYOTA in Clearwater/Largo on US HWY 19. They are a GREAT bunch of guys there.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rowdy235
Actually, IIRC, you should change the oil every 3k miles if you drive in "extreme conditions"

It doesn't matter to me, new or old, all my family's cars are changed at 3k
if I have the money, I try to change out every 2500 miles, and for good reason. My truck only though, haha. This way, there's always fresh oil, I don't loose too much, a problem can be spotted sooner, and I believe my oil becomes slightly contaminated with fuel, etc.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM

My head gasket went a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to try the dealer and see what they will do. I really do not want to do it myself since I can be lazy at time.

James
Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 PM

was the sludge a result of coolant in the oil?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
was the sludge a result of coolant in the oil?
I'm not sure. I got the truck in the late part of 2003 or early 2004, and I was going through a divorce, etc. and didn't have alot of money...so, I let the oil changes go over a little (not even close to 7500 miles, though). I don't know who owned it before, or how often they changed the oil. The sludge was black, though, not creamy looking. I didn't notice that until after I changed the water pump and timing belt. After the dealership changed the head gasket and a couple of bearings on the crank shaft, and whatever else they did (new gaskets all around, etc) it really runs alot better ALTHOUGH in the morning while it's warming up, it will bounce when I accelerate a little in 2nd gear. My clutch pedal also doesn't come up all the way every time...I have no idea what that is.

Even though I had to search through a couple of dealerships to get someone to help me, and it took 2 weeks in the shop, it was definitely worth the money (FREE!!!)!