Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Exposed wire connections

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exposed wire connections

I'm putting this in the noob section because it seems pretty elementary to me, but I want to hear other peoples opinions/experiences. I tend to get a little cheap when wiring things up like my rock lights, auxiliary backup lights, etc, and just use butt connectors. i know soldering would be the strongest, but the butt connectors themselves have held up just fine. For grounds, I just crimp a ring connector on the end of the ground wire and screw it into some metal local to the light (usually). having grounds exposed and bare butt connectors exposed, what are the risks of a short in high water crossings? by high water, i mean above my sliders. i'm going to try to find all my connections and wrap them in tape but is that even good enough? what are the chances of an exposed positive, either on my lights or on say the starter, shorting out with a ground using the water as the conductor?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 PM

find a little cheap buetane(sp?) torch and some shrink wrap and cover all you exposed connections.

you should be good to go. you can also tighten down your grounds and coat them ithe some rusoleum or similar paint.

to be extra safe you may also be albe to use dielectric grease inside the shrink wrap.
it would be a great test to see how well the wrap works with grase inside!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

wouldn't i need to cut the connections to be able to slide the shrinkwrap onto them?

thanks for mentioning dielectric grease, i forgot i had a question about that...what exactly are the properties of dielectric grease? i'm looking to do a little waterproofing and for actual connections i hear putting some of that stuff in them helps but how? if it doesnt conduct, wouldnt putting them in the connection make that connection worthless? if it does conduct, wouldnt that basically extend the contact of the connection to outside the connector for water and other wires to hit?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:37 PM

it doesnt conduct, but your connections should still contact, the grease wont seperate your contacts.

the grase does keep water out, just as if you spill oil on the driveway and try rinsing it off with the hose.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 PM

NAPA sells something called 'liquid electrical tape'. You brush it on and it drys to a water-proof flexable coating. Its also called 'Scotchkote" in the electrical trade made by 3M. Great stuff!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:32 PM

I've seen people use 100% silicone too. That heat shrink tubing is pretty cheap at Harbor frieght also. You can get a bag of multiple sizes and colors for around $5.00.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

good advice guys, now i have a starting point. my issue with the heatshrink is that it has to be put on the wire before the connection is made. i'd have to cut my connections and redo them to get the heatshrink on unfortunately.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:48 PM

Yeah you will have to cut off your connector to get the right size shrink on. Don't buy dialectric grease. NAPA also sells some silicone grease, couldnt find the tube its burried in the garage but its made the same way as the dialectic just costs less. Your connection when crimped makes the contact mechanically the same as if you soldered it. Just smoosh some in the ends of your connectors. Ideally before you crimp em.
Jim
Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
my issue with the heatshrink is that it has to be put on the wire before the connection is made. i'd have to cut my connections and redo them to get the heatshrink on unfortunately.
Yep, thats why I mentioned liquid ScotchKote.. aka..liquid electric tape. You simply brush on several coats or more for a waterproof connection. Its the same compound used in electrical construction for making underground/underwater splices. You'll never have to worry about water hurting the connection again.