Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

carrying a ladder on a 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carrying a ladder on a 4runner?

Hello I was wondering if anyone has carried a 32ft extension ladder on there 4runner. I know it would be tough with the stock rack but is it even possible? Is there an aftermarket rack that would work for a big ladder? I need to be able to haul big ladders around. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fold the seats down, roll down the back window and let it hang out with a orange flag at the end. That's what I would do lol
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Are you one of those people that take their civics to home depot to pick up lumber to build your brand new fence?

Trucks exist for a reason, and so do pipe/ladder/lumber (whatever you want to call them ) racks. i highly suggest buying a truck if you're gonna be carrying heavy duty ladders around... i'd understand a 6 foot in a 4Runner, but only because it would fit.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 PM

If you're talking to me than yes lol I used my Geo to haul a 10 foot chunk of steel once. All I had lol
Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Being your in the Corn Patch you could get away with building a ladder rack that has uprights coming off the front bumper area and the rear bumper.

It would be the only way I can think that would work but would be a pain getting the ladder up there.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i see all kinds of weird stuff being hauled during my daily hwy commute. i have definitely seen several 4runners and other SUVs with ladders on top, one or two being extension ladders.

IIRC they used a moving blanket (or several) underneath it to keep it from sliding or damaging the paint (a few didn't have a rack). strapping it down use whatever you got and make sure it's anchored really well. make sure to wrap around the ladder several times as well as through the rungs to keep the ladder from extending if you have to stop quickly. make sure you tie some good knots that you can really crank down on, like a trucker's hitch knot -- or if you have them, use ratchet straps. since the ladder is so long, it's probably a very good idea to anchor the front and back to your rig as well to keep it from wanting to pivot/helicopter on your roof
Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowakid
Hello I was wondering if anyone has carried a 32ft extension ladder on there 4runner. I know it would be tough with the stock rack but is it even possible? Is there an aftermarket rack that would work for a big ladder? I need to be able to haul big ladders around. Thanks!
I could see it being done.....first, I'd have front and rear receivers installed. Then I'd have an insert that made a 90 degree upward shot and went for about 4~4.5 feet up.....weld on a 4 foot wide (horizontal) piece of thin wall light square tube. Now the long ladder can be suspended above the Runner and the shell. About 6 feet hanging over the front and 10 feet over the rear. BIG red flag on the rear portion. You said 32 foot ladder? Is that collapsed or fully extended? Makes no difference because the T-bars would work for almost any length ladder. I've seen something similar to this like what the hang-glider guys do.

Last edited by ZUK; 07-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM

So is there any kind of aftermarket rack that is much longer and stretches the whole roof? i think that would work. Does anyone have experience with a bigger rack and a bigger ladder?

Yes I would have gotten a truck to haul my ladders but then I would have a truck and not a 4runner so I had to have the 4runner
Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
oh, sounds like you're looking to carry ladder on a regular basis. there are lots of full length racks out there that can be added to your rig, just start searching - but since a lot of racks are so expensive, i would just build/have built something like what ZUK mentioned since you can easily add/remove it easily and the cost should be low. another thing you might look in to is modifying one of those fancy tilting lever-action ladder racks to your 4runner. i see them mounted on top of work vans all the time, i can't imagine it would be that difficult to make one work on a 4runner if you were determined.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by yota864x4
If you're talking to me than yes lol I used my Geo to haul a 10 foot chunk of steel once. All I had lol
isn't that like 3 times the length a geo??

totally get it though! a buddy of mine carried a 40ft extension ladder on his pontiac grand prix once.. that was fun. all he had was a little thule rack. i have to say, i was quite impressed at how everything held up.

i agree though, build one or maybe try craigslist? what gen 4runner? what's the weight limit on the stock rack?

depending on the truck, it would still extend past the length of the vehicle anyway..
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM

I wouldn't carry a 32 ft on anything less than a truck with a dedicated ladder rack. I used to carry a 20 ft ladder on an s10 blazer with a full length roof rack and it was barely enough to carry safely.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Its a 3rd gen. Now I am looking into getting a ladder that has three sections but i am not sure if a 32ft exists
Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 PM

For a crossbar substitute you could cut down a sheet of plywood, lay it on rails, and lay the ladder on top of it with straps or ropes securing it to the rails. I wouldn't drive too far or often like that (& def. not hwy speeds), but should work for short commutes.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 PM

It turns out all you have to do is put it on the stock rack and strap it down. haha I thought I couldn't do it after researching it but then I tried it and it works just fine
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 AM

just be careful how you tie it down, best would be to have a strap in the front and rear also to keep it from tipping and putting a ton of stress on your stock cross-bars. a good full length rack would be a wise investment if you plan to carry long things regularly. i know a guy...
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Ratchet straps and orange flags. Lots and lots of orange flags!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 217 Likes on 159 Posts
Wow a 32 ft is massive on a runner!!! On my cable van the 27 ft is from bumper to bumper and its on a fullsize van, anyway I will agree on making sure it is secure I was following someone that had it "secured" on car on the highway and it flew off landed went sideways and I ran it over causing major damage to my front end. It was considered an accident with a ticket and police involved. So with that said 32 ft strapped to a runner just doesnt sound safe anyway you look at it.