Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Build Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build Plans

FIRST OFF DON'T ORDER A BODY LIFT FROM ANYONE UNTIL YOU GO TO 4CRAWLER.COM
4CRAWLER IS A CONTRIBUTING MEMBER ON HERE. If you spend time on yotatech.com or 4crawler.com you will soon realize 4crawler is brilliant, and has a wealth of knowledge. He has either designed, built, thought of, and/or sells many innovative and excellent products. PLEASE READ BELOW FOR FURTHER UNAFFILIATED ENDORSEMENT OF 4CRAWLER.COM

NOW:

Recently Ordered Items:
This is what I ordered from amazon.com:

2 Trailmaster Suspension 62740 Rear Invader SS Shock Absorber $36.89

1 Energy Suspension 8.2103G Black HyperFlex Polyurethane Rear Leaf Spring Bushings $16.80

4 Rancho RS1950 Blue Rubber Shock Boot $3.00

2 Trailmaster Suspension 63510 Front Invader SS Shock Absorber $36.89

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $176.36
Shipping & Handling: $43.18
Super Saver Discount: -$43.18
------
Total: $176.36

This is what I ordered from rocky-road.com:
OMECS009R OME Rear Lift spring $95.00 ea. 2 $190.00
(These are the Old Man Emu 2" Lift Leaf Springs from 1984-1985 4runners, the great thing is these will fit 1986-1989 4runners just fine, in fact they are the same exact manufacturer part number, but if bought for a 1984-1985 4runner cost less sometimes)

Order Subtotal: $190.00
UPS Gnd Residential Shipping: $60.43
Insurance: $1.90

Grand Total:$252.33

I will update you on here after I get everything installed and tell you how it all fits and works out!

My Goal as of August 25, 2009:
To have a vehicle with better than 15 mpg, capable on road, capable off road to do SOME uneven surfaces and some rocks, reliable enough to survive off road hours from anyone else, and good for the beach.

NEW PLANS AS OF AUGUST 25, 2009
Obviously all the suspension parts ordered above are now my planned suspension lift, which I deem mild compared to the 4" I had originally wanted to lift

33"x13.5" with the possibility of 32"x12.5" Tires instead of 35" or 37" tires, this is for budget reasons, and I will build a huge beach cruiser someday. But for now I want something more stable than lifting to the sky, and the reason I want 13.5" wide tires is because my stock tires sink straight into the sand dunes here. I want to drive up them with no problem, so the wider, the better.

Possibly a Body Lift from 4Crawler.com, size undecided

Quick CV Change Mod (if I can figure out how to do it, some of the websites that had them listed have taken them down)

Dual Batteries (I have an extra battery laying around so why not)

Possibly an alternator upgrade likely to use bracket found here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/22r-re-g...-mount-139305/

Accomplished Work As of August 25, 2009
Rear End has been locked

Rhinolined Removable Top, Under body of vehicle, Interior Floors and Bed (rubber stoppers from homedepot now plug the drain holes in the floor)

Electric Radiator Fan Installed

K&N Air Filter Installed

Decals Removed, but decal adhesive is still stuck to vehicle

OLD PLANS AS OF August 25, 2009
My Goal: To have a vehicle with better than 15 mpg, capable on road, capable off road to do SOME uneven surfaces and some rocks, reliable enough to survive off road hours from anyone else, and good for the beach.

About our 4runner: Our suspension is stock and its shot, transmission appears to have been replaced/rebuilt, engine was rebuilt professionally in 2004, injectors new in 2004, clutch 2004, along with just about everything else under the hood except maybe radiator. Rhino lined in, under, and fiber top last week, ujoints look and feel good along with the rest of the drivetrain. Goodyear Wrangler stock size tires have about 95% tread

What I would like to do:
Body Lift 3" (already ordered from rockymountainsusp.com)

Suspension Lift 4 inch in front and whatever in the rear to make it level, or atleast not sag backwards (I was thinking pro comp 33311 leafs with 1 to 1.5" longer shackles in the rear with the rough country 4" SL for the front using the rough country shocks all around, or another SL if I can find a good deal on a front lift only) I came up with that because of all that I have read about sagging rear, lift blocks, and the fact that my suspension is shot. How does that whole system sound?

Lock rear and front so long as it wont mess up street driving for long trips (please give your input and timetable suggestions here too)

Electric Fan (Simply for Horsepower/MPG)

Exhaust (Simply for Horsepower/MPG)

Rhino the rest of the body instead of repainting (we are surrounded by salt water/air)

Armor

I really want your advice/input on everything. I have $660 burning a hole in my pocket, but don't want to waste it!

Our 4runner Just before getting rhinoed:
https://www.yotatech.com/album.php?al...pictureid=4143

4CRAWLER.COM
CHECK 4CRAWLER.COM BEFORE ORDERING ANYTHING ELSEWHERE
4CRAWLER IS A CONTRIBUTING MEMBER ON HERE.
He has either designed, built, thought of, and/or sells many innovative and excellent products.

AT FIRST I didn't order from him because I found a less expensive body lift else where, but it was like it was made out of plastic and was hollow inside. I am now paying for shipping to return it, with the intentions of buying a QUALITY one from 4crawler.com

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH 4CRAWLER.COM or ROGER BROWN IN ANYWAY, NOR HAVE I MET OR KNOW HIM. I AM SIMPLY A TOYOTA OWNER SPEAKING FROM MY HOURS AND HOURS OF RESEARCH, HOURS ON HIS WEBSITE, THE PRODUCTS I SEE ON HIS WEBSITE, AND HIS TRIPS THAT HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED ABOUT ON VARIOUS WEBSITES.

His 4runner is similar to what I had planned on building, and almost everything I researched I ended up finding a post from him, or someone else linking to his website.

I didn't order from 4crawler.com because it wasn't a normal store website and i knew nothing about 4crawler.com now I would have no hesitation in ordering from 4crawler.com and would highly highly recommend that you check his website for products first, and know that you are getting a quality product.

Last edited by orionhones; 08-25-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 PM

sounds like a good plan
Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigarms23
sounds like a good plan
Thanks for your reply! I truly do appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 PM

unless you mess something up, it will work out fine. really no mystery to it