Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

94 Toyota 22re won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Toyota 22re won't start

Hello, I am new to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge with the whole operation. I am needing some help with my 94 toyota pickup. 3 weeks ago, I was driving my truck with no problems. I shut it off at a friend's house and when I went to leave, it wouldn't start back. I've never had any issues with it starting or running. I couldn't hear the fuel pump running. Replaced fuel pump, it started blowing EFI fuses. Replaced EFI relay (which had an internal short), still blowing fuses. Took it to a mechanic to diagnose, they said that the Mass Air Flow Sensor had an internal short and that the fuel pump may also still be bad. Found a MAF sensor at a junkyard, replaced it. Fuel pump doesn't run unless I open the vane in the MAF by hand. Even then, I have no fuel at the rail and the truck wont start. Any ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Welcome To Yota Tech.

Is there enough fuel in the tank??

First the 22Re does not have a MAF it has a AFM You did test both the old and yard AFM to see one had failed and the other was good??

What happens when you jumper B+ to FP at the check connector??

Just which fuse is still opening??

Is the switch in the AFM failing to work from getting dirt into or just getting old. Massive vacuum leaks ??

When you changed the fuel pump did you do this or have it done??

Just what brand pump was installed??

Was a new sock and fuel filter also installed.

If the fuel pump is running and your not getting fuel all over the ground from a massive leak . The pump should pressurize the fuel rail and return via the return line .

You have checked that you did not have a timing gear shear off on the cam??

Some things to look at.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for your help.

There is half a tank, I had just filled the truck up the day this happened. When I replaced the fuel pump, I drained the tank and put back half.

The mechanic that checked it out said that there was an interior direct short in the old AFM. With the old one, I could hear the fuel pump running as long as the AFM was plugged in and the key was on, it never would shut off. The one from the junkyard hasn't been tested. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on this truck the fuel pump isn't supposed to run with the key on, just engage when trying to start?

I haven't tried jumping the B+ to Fp terminals since I have changed the fuel pump and AFM. With the old parts, nothing happened when they were jumped.

With the new parts, no fuses are blowing. (not sure if that's what you meant)

The switch in the AFM seems to be working to me, but again I am an amateur at this. When I open the vane inside the AFM, the fuel pump engages but I get no fuel at the rail.

I haven't been able to find any vacuum leaks.

I changed the fuel pump with a mechanic friend.

I cant remember the brand of the pump, but it was a cheap one from Autozone, which I've heard was a mistake. Did not install new sock or filter.

Haven't checked a timing gear shear off on the cam, that's the first I've heard that one.

I forgot to mention that I had also replaced the EFI relay (in the fuse box under the hood) that also had a short in it.

I guess what I need to know now is this; Assuming that this new AFM is good, when I turn on the key, the fuel pump does not engage. If I open the vane in the AFM and can hear the pump kick on but still get no fuel at the rail, does that mean that the pump is not pumping and should be replaced even though I can hear it running? Thanks so much!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just where are you hearing the fuel pump??

With the fuel cap off ??

If the pump is running and your not getting pressure at the fuel rail . it sounds like it runs but does not pump.

How are you checking for pressure at the fuel rail??

When it works correct it is a loop from the pressure side to the fuel rail and back the return line with the pump supplying more then enough pressure and volume to meet the engine needs in most cases .

Since this is a auto zone pump did you get it wired correct so it turns the correct direction A DC motor will change directions if wired wrong.