Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re, Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re, Is It Worth It?

I have been interested in getting into off-roading for sometime now and recently received a 1989 automatic 4runner 22re (no engine at the moment) it is completely stock from what I can tell but in good condition. So here’s the dilemma, POWER. Is it going to be worth it to build this thing into a trail machine running the 22re? I just don’t want to waste my time and funds on something that isn’t going to be able to keep up with the rest of the pack. Money IS an object in my case so any modifications I will be wanting will be tuff to fund and I would much rather find out now, before I start anything, if it isn’t going to be able to get my rocks off on the trails in the end.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter, especially from people running the 22RE engine!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys are running 37"+ tires with the RE. Guy up the street rolls around on 44's.

Its a solid work horse. Not fast by any means but it gets the job done.

I'd keep the 22RE and just swap to a 5 speed.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
Guys are running 37"+ tires with the RE. Guy up the street rolls around on 44's.

Its a solid work horse. Not fast by any means but it gets the job done.

I'd keep the 22RE and just swap to a 5 speed.
Yeah lots of people running serious rock crawlers use the 22re, its an awesome engine, yes its a not powerful by any means but its a 4cyl. If you gear right it will be perfectly fine! 5 speed helps alot too, plus its just funner to drive with the 5 speed
Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM

Like I said I’m a newbie, how hard is it to mess with the gear ratio. Also if I put a suspension lift on it would the ratio need to be changed for any reason?

also what are the cam changes i could do to the 22re? explain what the numbers are used to measure?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I can't tell you anything about cam dynamics, so I'll leave that to the more informed.

But, I can tell you gearing is no way related to suspension. You could have a 2ft. lift and still run stock tires with stock gears and not change anything other than your center of gravity.

Gear ratio has nothing to do with anything other than the powertrain and tire size. Simply put, change the tire size and you've changed the gearing ratio. Change the diff gears....or transfer case...and you've changed the gearing ratio. Those are the gears that move the vehicle. Comprende?

So, if you went larger on the tire size, it would be good to drop to a lower diff gearing ratio to move the vehicle easier....and, to crawl at a slower rate with more torque. Just like riding a mountain bike up a hill, eh. Dropping to a lower diff ratio is more critical IF you have a more limited power source....like the 22re. If you had a V8 it wouldn't be as big of a deal. Still, some people run 33" tires with the stock 4.10 diff gears (you'll have 4.30's in your rig, most likely....because of the factory equipped auto tranny) and stock 22re and get by just fine on the trail. Why? Because of the 5spd and mated transfer case....they have pretty low gears to enable them to still wheel adequately. Sucks on the highway, though, trying to keep up cruising speeds. Again....if you had a V8 it would be different. They produce more horsepower with more torque to keep the vehicle going. However, that doesn't mean it would crawl any slower. My Plymouth 4x4/V8 had a lot of power, but had 3.?? diff gears (don't remember.....t'was a long time ago), but wouldn't crawl as slow as my 4rrn 22re/4.10's/ and same size tire....31's. Gearing!

Changing the differential gears is not complicated or hard for someone with experience or the professional. For a newbie, it's not recommended. I've never done it myself, either. I've worked on enough things, though, that I'd feel pretty comfortable giving a whack at it with some guidance. I just don't have the money or time....

Anyway, hope that makes some sense to you.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 AM

That makes perfect sense. Thanks you for puting it in newbie speak for me.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Your welcome....