Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22RE removal, minimal parts removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE removal, minimal parts removal

Hi, im currently in the process of taking the 22re out of my 89 4x4 and putting it into a prerunner project. Im going to be using my motor, tranny, ecu, wiring etc. and had a few questions.

first off, the motor that was originally inthe truck was a 22re also, 2wd. Is the transmission in the 4wd any different minus the transfer case? its going to be a 2wd truck so i dont plan on using any of the front driveline components. Is this possible?

Second off, im trying to leave the motor as complete as possible when pulling it for an easy install on the new truck. What all can i leave attached when pulling it?? power steering? Wire harnesses? I have the wiring out from the ECU and layed over the motor now. Ill probably just end up cutting the front of truck off, where the grille would be, so i can just pull everything straight forward.

This is my first time digging into my truck this deep so any advise is greatly appreciated. Ive done alot of searching and have somewhat of an idea but just had a couple questions. Sorry for the novel haha!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:20 PM

Why are you cutting your truck? Sounds simplier in the beginning, but more time consuming in the end..
Old 03-12-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm not going to be using the truck for anything besides parts after this. Figured it would make pulling the engine and tranny out together easier if I cut out the front section where the grille is
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM

im currently pulling the 22re out of my 87 4runner (blown HG), i actually was able to get to the last tranny bolt last night ....took a 3ft extension to get the top driversside tranny bolt and i broke one of my swivel sockets.

my engine is ready to be pulled just need to get my cherry picker from my folks house.

Heres what i did when removing my 22re..
drain all fluids
disconnect battery cables
remove radiator hoses
remove radiator fan shroud
disconnect tranny cooling lines from radiator
remove radiator
remove 4 motor mount bolts
disconnect throttle cable tranny selector cable
disconnect a/c compressor and bungee to the side
remove ECU harness through the firewall
disconnect alternator positve lead and ground
removed power steering pump and bungee to the side (BTW my hose was brittle and cracked when doing this. You will also need to loosen tensioner to get belt off)
remove bolts around the tranny (2 top bolts require lots of patience and some creativity)
remove fuel line and zip tie (needs to be secured higher then the level of the fuel tank or it will continue to leak)
i believe there are a couple vacum hoses that need to be removed also be sure to label them.

I think thats it.....im a noob to this website but i have found it very helpful thus far! Thanks everyone

Last edited by budgetbuilder; 03-14-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM

ok so i pulled my motor out finally on friday ...oh boy it was no easy task.

all in all took about 9hrs split into two days from start to finish! (1st time ever pulling a motor)

there were alot of other items that needed to be removed that i was never told, so the list is now longer.

drain all fluids
disconnect battery cables
remove radiator hoses
remove radiator fan shroud
disconnect tranny cooling lines from radiator
remove radiator
remove 4 motor mount bolts
disconnect throttle cable & tranny selector cable
remove exhaust manifold nuts (x3)
disconnect a/c compressor and bungee to the side
remove ECU harness through the firewall
disconnect alternator positive lead and ground
remove power steering pump and bungee to the side (BTW my hose was brittle and cracked when doing this. will need to loosen tensioner to get belt off)
remove bolts around the tranny (2 top bolts require lots of patience and some creativity)
remove fuel line and zip tie (needs to be secured higher then the level of the fuel tank or it will continue to leak)
i believe there are a couple vacum hoses that need to be removed also be sure to label them.

remove battery ground
torque converter bolts (x6)
remove engine to firewall ground
remove starter (2 bolts)
remove fuel filter (2 bolts)

i had a tuff time getting the engine over the radiator support. Had to use a load leveler, remove front tires, hammer in the cherry picker arms that slide under the truck to make them as short as possible.

**i would recommend that when using the load leveler or chain to not leave very much slack between the load leveler and the motor.

Good Luck

Last edited by budgetbuilder; 03-21-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 PM

I ended up cutting the front of the truck off where the grille mounts to. Going to weld it onto the new truck anyway so i can mount my lights and grille (tube front end, nowhere to mount stock lights now) and it made pulling the engine and tranny together very easy... Just lots of unbolting!

pulled everything apart to find the clutch in a big pile of dust in the bottom of the bellhousing. good thing i have a new one! The flywheel looked pretty bad so i got a new one of those as well.

BUT.....today i thought it would be a good idea to break a bolt off in the new flywheel. Then i went ahaid and broke my EZ out in there too while i was at it. so now i have a brand new flywheel sitting in front of me with a brokenbolt/EZ out in it.
SWEET!

Any suggestions on how to get the bolt out? have to take it to a machine shop?