Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re rebuilt smokes like a train

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The left over oil should be burnt off in just a few seconds. Jammin brings up a good point about the rings, and your compression numbers were a little low. Did you check your ring clearance with a feeler gauge before you installed it on the piston? The piston to wall clearance?

If you do happen to put in new rings I would get the bore checked and rehoned just to be safe. It doesn't take long for those crosshatches to wear down (kinda like sand paper to the rings), and if there was a lot of oil involved then they would be glazed over anyway.

But I still think that is because your rings are still not seated fully yet. Don't start tearing it back down yet, go through all of the possibilities first. The FSM is in my sig if you want an idea for a checklist.

Now how did you cap your PCV system? Try just pulling those two hoses off the valve cover one at a time (don't cap them off) and do a short test drive each time. If this turns out to be whats causing it, then it makes me think that this was going on before the rebuild. It also could mean that your oil separator in the valve cover isn't working and the intake is sucking oil in and forcing it in through the valves.

Let us know what you find out!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 AM

i caped the ports on the intake with vacuum line rubber caps drove it five miles let it sit fora couple hours drove it home an it smoked like a train could it be a crack in the head i have a spare i might throw it on an see i only thought of the oil separator cause i threw it in my hot tank at my work to clean it might have destroyed the gasket but disconnecting those lines elimated that,im going to replace the head an go from there before i do a complete tear down give me your thoughts if it could be a cracked head it looked fine when installed it didnt smoke before rebuild had two spun bearings an a minor knock
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM

i had a machine shop do the boring an order the proper piston set for it they have been in business for fourty some years i trust them but you never know
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Did you have the head pressure tested after they put the valves in?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
155psi is really low. My engine was 190psi when I had it rebuilt. Sounds like you are getting a ton of blow by. A used 22r I just sold had 170psi with a couple hundred k on it.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 PM

just put pressure in to cylinders felt air coming out of dip stick tube on all cylinders i made sure went i tested them they were on top dead center so i hoping rings havent seated any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM

pressure tested cylinders air coming out of dipstick any suggetions? rings not seated yet? or bigger problems ? im lost on what to do ate a quart an a half of oil in two days
Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 AM

Wow man your really sucking that oil down. I know this is probably a stupid question, but it came to mind the other day. When you had your block bored 20 over, you did install the oversized pistons right?

You have a serious amount of blow by so either a ring broke when you were putting it together, your head is cracked, head gasket was defective, or the valves are letting all that oil in. Since your getting pressure out of your dipstick tube, the only thing that makes sense is the rings. How did you pressurize the cylinders?

I would pull the head and check the piston to cylinder clearance and get that head pressure tested. Also double check the bore size.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM

If you take the head off most pistons will have the oversize designation stamped in the top of the piston so make sure they are all the .020 over. Also if you take your head off you can bring each piston to top dead and try to wiggle them front to back and left to right...if you have some excessive slop then it's prolly the wrong pistons, bad bore job ....

Also be sure the oversized rings were used to match the oversize pistons, if the standard rings were somehow squeezed onto oversized pistons then you'll have some excessive ring end gap.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 AM

.... oh and also if you take the head off and you have access to a dial bore gauge you could take the pistons all the way to bottom center and you can measure at least 4 of the 6 cylinder bore measurements the you'll want to check.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 AM

its a 4 cylinder an when i bought the rebuild kit from the machine shop it all came as a package for 0.20 over,an i put compressed air in to the cylinders one at a time using a compression tester adapter the only thing i can think of is guides it the only thing i havent messed with i installed lucas break in additive with fresh 10/30 oil its snowing an cold doesnt look like it smoking anymore but not sure if the rings seated or it might just be the cold how offen have you seen guides go bad? i have a spare head might just get it rebuilt,it might just be cheaper to buy a new one let me know what you think about the guides i didnt check them i have never seen them go bad
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Well if you don't think it's smoking anymore recheck compression and watch your oil consumption and see what happens. ...It's been awhile since I read the rest of your thread so I don't remember if this has been covered yet, but be sure you're checking compression with wide open throttle and such.

I hope the rings seated and you're good to go!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 AM

found out what was wrong after a full tear down found #3 cylinder oiler ring broken not sure how it happened installation error or bad ring not sure but its fixed thanks for all advice