Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22r to 22re swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r to 22re swap in progress

so ive completely swapped out my 84 22r toyota pickup with its w42 4 speed for a 22re out of an 86 4x4 pickup and a w56 5 speed out of a 92 pickup everything has gone without a hitch surprising how everything is interchangable between the trannys and engines. so with everything in and my wiring harnesses swapped and relatively hooked up still got alot of small stuff to do i had a few questions related to the vsv valves and vacuum and a couple random plugs ive no idea where they go. ive looked up diagrams and pretty much got it down but id like to get your input as im still a lil confused. first off ill start with the plugs
the small one is on both sides on the same cable that goes to the front turn signals the big one is on the same cable but only on the passanger side.

and here is another thing im a little iffy about is this supposed to be like this it seems as though somthing is missing like a cap or somthing?

and

just curious as to what these are

ok and now to the vsv i read that some of the 4x4 toyota pickups have 3 and this 22re did come out of an 86 4x4. from what i understand the blue is for the fuel the middle black one is the idle up valve for my ac and the lower brown one i have no idea. im thinking maybe emissions or maybe that 3rd vsv that only the 4x4 pickups have? the hose pieces were always broke off when i got it and never noticed. my blue vsv the top plug is busted off and also a little confused as to what it goes t. ive been using this link http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579557 but still not seeing everything im needing to know.

Last edited by esuever; 09-10-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
The big plug in your first picture I am sure goes to your horn. In the second picture, the top is broken off of your air valve, you will need to replace it.On your fourth picture one gets grounded under your coil assembly and one on the fender well. They are both grounded so really wouldnt matter which one goes where.

I have an 86 as well and still dont have my vsv's connected but will look at my wifes 88 and see how they are. It will be tomorrow when I get home though.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-10-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The big plug in your first picture I am sure goes to your horn. In the second picture, the top is broken off of your air valve, you will need to replace it.On your fourth picture one gets grounded under your coil assembly and one on the fender well. They are both grounded so really wouldnt matter which one goes where.

I have an 86 as well and still dont have my vsv's connected but will look at my wifes 88 and see how they are. It will be tomorrow when I get home though.
alright thanks that would be much appreciated. lol completely forgot about the horn as mine has never worked in the first place lol feel stupid now. ok and this air valve that needs to be replaced any ideas on what its called or what its attached to is called so i can have a better idea on what im looking for and order one up?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Not sure of the name of it. I can get it in the morning for you as I left my book at home. I get mine out of the bone yard. Alot of the times when your horn wont work there is a brass ring on the back side of the steering wheel that is worn. You will need to rent a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off and you can pry up on the brass ring to help it make contact with the little post sticking out of the steering column. Another way to fix your horn is to get a fired .22 shell and put it over the post and that will help make contact with the brass ring on the post where my finger is pointing in the background.

Here is a pic of the .22 shell trick. I copied the rest from my build below. It works real well. Someone didnt use a spent shell and fired it off. Just pull the lead out or fire it and it will be safe.

Copied
Got the horn to working. I used a .22 shell to make the contact to the steering wheel. I found this on Yotatech and like it better then how I used to fix my horns. I have it listed on my 88 4Runners build thread for more details about getting the horn to work on the first page.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Not sure of the name of it. I can get it in the morning for you as I left my book at home. I get mine out of the bone yard. Alot of the times when your horn wont work there is a brass ring on the back side of the steering wheel that is worn. You will need to rent a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off and you can pry up on the brass ring to help it make contact with the little post sticking out of the steering column. Another way to fix your horn is to get a fired .22 shell and put it over the post and that will help make contact with the brass ring on the post where my finger is pointing in the background.

Here is a pic of the .22 shell trick.
Got the horn to working. I used a .22 shell to make the contact to the steering wheel. I found this on Yotatech and like it better then how I used to fix my horns. I have it listed on my 88 4Runners build thread for more details about getting the horn to work on the first page. Will add this info at a later time.
the horn is no big deal to me just hoping i can get it running good after all the money ive dumped into it already buuuut ill have to mess with it there has been a few times ive needed a horn to rage at a few "idiot drivers" or to keep the old lady from backing into me. i dont have my factory steering wheel anymore though anyways so idk if im even able to get it to work. lol now that i think about it that is probably what is wrong with it "that ring" because one day i was all alone and i turned my wheel and the horn went off. scared the hell out of me to because i was like wtf was that thought someone was messing with me haha
the wheel im usint now ill have to take it off and check it out thanks for the info on that though

Last edited by esuever; 09-11-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 AM

so the part thats broke im assuming its the bvsv maybe i can take it off my old 22r? ill have to check it out and see. also i may eliminate the blue vsv like this guy did http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/9.html since my blue vsv has the broken top piece anyways. also im thinking the brown vsv is for the pair emissions the 86 22re diagram is almost perfect and matches up to the vacuum setup of my 86 22re but doesint have the vsv's. now the 88 22re diagram listed matches mine as it has the vsv valves so im confused on which to follow. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451779

Last edited by esuever; 09-11-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 AM

looked at my previous 22r and found a similar valve on it and took this piece off of it the valve looks exactly the same and this piece fits the other one on the 22re. shoulda thought of this before.

Last edited by esuever; 09-11-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 AM

When you put in your 22RE in place of the 22RE How did you work the wiring or did you jsut replace the entire harness?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM

i just swapped the entire harness, everything worked out good and is now my dd haha

Last edited by esuever; 11-15-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Ok thanks, Did you have to pull your dash out?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM

yeah its fairly easy once you do it once or twice, just do yourself a favor and get an electric screwdriver or drill lol
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks again I will probalby have more questions before I'm done doing this
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM

During your swap did you have to out a hole in your fire wall on the right side for your wiring harness to come through?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 AM

yeah i drilled out the hole i just eyeballed it with some measurements and the rubber gromet on harnes fit right into place looks stock no one would ever know the difference