03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Newbie Needs Help!!!! 2006 SE tilt to the left.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Needs Help!!!! 2006 SE tilt to the left.

Hello,

I just got my new 2006 SE 4Runner a couple of days ago. I noticed today that the car tilts/sags on the left side when viewing the car from rear. Initially I thought it's just poor lighting in the parking area of my building. But I've confirmed it by dragging my wife to the parking area to double check this. It's not the tire pressure issue either as I tried to park the car the other way around. It tilts/sags on the left side either nose in or tail in the parking spot.

Is this normal? I've never had this type of issue with my previous cars. (This is my 1st Toyota and SUV)

It seems the parking spot is uneven. Right side is slightly higher than left. When I say slightly I mean it's less than 1/2 degree. Maybe even less.

Is this normal for a 4Runner when the ground is slightly uneven?

I've tried my other car in the same spot. It's a Prelude and the car is much lower than the 4Runner. I do not notice the sagging or tilting on the left side. Really like to know if this seems normal to you.

Your comment on this is highly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:52 PM

Time to crank out the measuring tape. Measure the vehicle on both sides from a point on the truck that should be the same height. I used my running boards.

A tilt is quite normal - especially if you have a full tank of gas (the gas tank sits on the driver side of the vehicle). Mine sat about 1/2" - 3/4" low on the driver's side depending upon the gas situation. Compared with everyone else's feedback on this issue, I'd say that is probably normal. Now, if you are talking 1" or more, I'd start to be concerned...

By the way, I drove my truck 30k miles with the 1/2" tilt and never had a problem, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Enjoy driving it ! (especially that VVTi engine if you got th V8 !).

Steve
Old 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lefty
Time to crank out the measuring tape. Measure the vehicle on both sides from a point on the truck that should be the same height. I used my running boards.

A tilt is quite normal - especially if you have a full tank of gas (the gas tank sits on the driver side of the vehicle). Mine sat about 1/2" - 3/4" low on the driver's side depending upon the gas situation. Compared with everyone else's feedback on this issue, I'd say that is probably normal. Now, if you are talking 1" or more, I'd start to be concerned...

By the way, I drove my truck 30k miles with the 1/2" tilt and never had a problem, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Enjoy driving it ! (especially that VVTi engine if you got th V8 !).

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the response. I know it may not be a major issue but come on. I got a BRAND new car. ONly put 35 miles on it so far. Thanks for your suggestion. I do plan on taking measurement and then go back to the dealer to check other 06 SE's to check if they also exhibit the same issue.

The issue is definitely not gas tank related since gas tank is on the driver's side. When I park the car the other way,looking at it from the same point, same direction, now facing the front of the car, the tilt is on the passenger. I am pretty certain it's related to the groud but isn't this a bit too sensitive? I've never experienced this with any other car. Granted they weren't a SUV and the clerance is much lower.

Let me know what you think.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:06 PM

id say park on a level surface and then measure. my t100 had a tilt, but it was torsion bar related, and after a slight cranking, it was corrected. not sure what to do about coilover set ups though.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:25 PM

my 04 SE has a slight tilt as well. I think there is a thread over at www.t4r.org about the tilting.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Boaz
my 04 SE has a slight tilt as well. I think there is a thread over at www.t4r.org about the tilting.
That could be my post too. ha ha. I tried looking for a post before posting it. Couldn't find any. Do you recall what keyword to look for?